|Talib Kweli Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 10 in|
|Date of Birth||October 3, 1975|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Talib Kweli is an American rapper, songwriter, entrepreneur, and activist. Alongside Mos Def, he has been one-half of the hip hop duo Black Star and the duo has released songs and albums like Respiration (ft. Common), Definition, One Four Love Pt. 1 (ft. Common, Kool G Rap, Pharoahe Monch, Posdnuos, Rah Digga, Shabaam Sahdeeq, and Sporty Thievz), Mos Def & Talib Kweli Are Black Star, and Fix Up. As a solo artist, Talib Kweli has released several albums, tracks, and mixtapes such as The Beautiful Struggle, Quality, Gutter Rainbows, Prisoner of Conscious, Eardrum, Fuck the Money, Radio Silence, Gravitas, Kweli: Confidential, Blacksmith: The Movement, Attack the Block, Early Mourning Signs, Awful People Are Great at Parties, Good to You, Get By, Peace of Mind, Human Mic, Rare Portraits, Upper Echelon, Cold Rain, and The Wormhole. Moreover, Talib Kweli founded the independent label named Javotti Media in 2011 as well as has collaborated with producers and rappers like Kanye West, Just Blaze, and Pharrell Williams.
Talib Kweli Greene
Brooklyn, New York City, New York, United States
Talib Kweli studied at Brooklyn Technical High School and Cheshire Academy, a boarding school in Connecticut. Afterward, he got enrolled at New York University and studied experimental theater.
Rapper, Songwriter, Entrepreneur, Activist
- Father – Perry Greene (Administrator at Adelphi University)
- Mother – Brenda M. Greene (Scholar, Author, Literary Activist, Educational Leader, Radio Host at Medgar Evers College of the City University of New York)
- Siblings – Jamal K. Greene (Younger Brother) (Author, Dwight Professor of Law at Columbia Law School, Former Clerk to Justice John Paul Stevens on the Supreme Court)
Alternative Hip Hop
Javotti Media, EMI, Capitol, 3D, Geffen, Blacksmith, Warner Bros., Koch, Rawkus Records
5 ft 10 in or 178 cm
78 kg or 172 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Talib Kweli has dated –
- Darcel Turner – He was romantically involved with author Darcel Turner in the past and they have 2 children. Reportedly, the duo was once married.
- Karrine Steffans (2001) – In the year 2001, he had an affair with author Karrine Steffans.
Race / Ethnicity
Often sports a beard
Talib Kweli Facts
- He spent his childhood years growing up in the Park Slope neighborhood in northwestern Brooklyn, New York City.
- On November 19, 2002, Talib Kweli released his debut studio album titled Quality and it peaked at #6 on the US Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums (Billboard) chart and at #21 on the US Billboard 200 chart. Also, the album was certified ‘Gold’ by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA).
- He has supported community organizations like the Malcolm X Grassroots Movement and has been an advocate on behalf of political prisoners.
- Talib Kweli’s 2nd studio album The Beautiful Struggle was released on September 28, 2004, through Rawkus Records and it features guest appearances such as Common, Faith Evans, Anthony Hamilton, Mary J. Blige, and John Legend. The album peaked at #3 on the US Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums (Billboard) chart and at #14 on the US Billboard 200 chart.
- His independent label, Javotti Media, has signed several artists such as Cory Mo, Jessica Care Moore, K’Valentine, and Brazilian MC Niko Is.
- In the year 2020, he was accused of harassing Twitter user, Maya Moody, as Moody intended to call out Talib, along with other popular figures in music, for only dating or marrying light-skinned black women. Later on, Talib Kweli announced on July 23, 2020, via his Instagram that he was leaving Twitter “for the green pastures of Patreon.” Subsequently, a spokesperson for Twitter stated that Kweli’s account had been permanently suspended “after repeated violations of the Twitter rules.”
Featured Image by Tuomas Vitikainen / Wikimedia / CC BY-SA 3.0