|Ryan O’Neal Quick Info|
|Date of Birth||April 20, 1941|
Ryan O’Neal is an American actor and former boxer who is best known for his portrayal of characters such as Tal Garrett in the Western drama TV series Empire (1962–1963), Rodney Harrington in the prime-time soap opera Peyton Place (1964–69), Bobby Tannen in the sitcom Good Sports (1991), Jerry Fox in the comedy-drama TV series Miss Match (2003), and Max Brennan in the crime procedural comedy-drama TV series Bones (2006–17). He is also well recognized for his work in films such as Love Story (1970), What’s Up, Doc? (1972), Paper Moon (1973), A Bridge Too Far (1977), and The Driver (1978). In February 2021, he was honored with a star on the ‘Hollywood Walk of Fame’.
Charles Patrick Ryan O’Neal
Los Angeles, California, United States
Malibu, Los Angeles County, California, United States
Ryan had attended University High School in Los Angeles. He had also studied at the Munich American High School in Munich after his family had moved to Germany, temporarily.
Actor, Former Boxer
- Father – Charles Eldridge O’Neal (Novelist, Screenwriter) (d. August 29, 1996)
- Mother – Patricia Ruth O’Neal (née O’Callaghan) (Actress) (d. 2003)
- Siblings – Kevin O’Neal (Younger Brother) (Actor, Screenwriter)
- Others – Charles Samuel O’Neal (Paternal Grandfather), Elizabeth Maude Duffey (Paternal Grandmother), Richard Edward O’Callaghan (Maternal Grandfather), Mathilde ‘Tillie’ Pius (Maternal Grandmother), Pauline Young (Ex-Mother-in-Law), Carl Taylor (Ex-Father-in-Law) (Diplomat) (d. 1970), Dey Young (Ex-Sister-in-Law) (Actress, Sculptor), Lance Young (Ex-Brother-in-Law) (Film Director), Dorothy Martha Cook (née English) (Ex-Mother-in-Law), Henry Anderson Cook III (Ex-Father-in-Law), John McEnroe (Ex-Son-in-Law) (Former Professional Tennis Player), Rima Belinda Uranga (Ex-Daughter-in-Law), Joanna Berry (Daughter-in-Law)
He is represented by –
- Scott Zimmerman, Manager, Scott Zimmerman Management, California, United States
- Arnold Robinson, Publicist, Rogers & Cowan PMK, Los Angeles, California, United States
- Martin D. Singer, Legal Agent, Lavely & Singer, Los Angeles, California, United States
6 ft or 183 cm
78 kg or 172 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Ryan has dated –
- Oona O’Neill
- Christa Helm
- Diane von Fürstenberg
- Pat Cleveland
- Claudine Longet
- Juanita Brown
- Sabrina Guinness
- Florinda Bolkan – Rumor
- Lauren Hutton
- Britt Ekland
- Barbara Carrera
- Joanna Moore (1962–1967) – Ryan began dating actress Joanna Moore in 1962 and the couple got married on April 3, 1963. They had 2 children together – a daughter named Tatum O’Neal (b. November 5, 1963) (Actress, Author) and a son named Griffin O’Neal (b. October 28, 1964) (Actor). The couple had parted ways in early 1966 and their divorce was finalized in February 1967. Joanna had passed away in 1997 due to lung cancer. Through Tatum’s past marriage with tennis legend John McEnroe, Ryan has a granddaughter named Emily McEnroe and 2 grandsons named Sean McEnroe and Kevin McEnroe. Through Griffin, Patrick has 4 grandchildren.
- Mia Farrow (1964) – Rumor
- Barbara Parkins (1966)
- Leigh Taylor-Young (1966-1974) – Ryan had started dating his Peyton Place co-star, actress Leigh Taylor-Young, in 1966. They got married on February 28, 1967, in a spontaneous ceremony in Hawaii where they were promoting Peyton Place. They have a son together named Patrick O’Neal (b. September 14, 1967) (Former Actor, Sportscaster). The couple had parted ways in March 1974. Ryan has 2 granddaughters named Sophia De Mornay-O’Neal and Veronica De Mornay-O’Neal through Patrick’s past relationship with actress Rebecca De Mornay.
- Lana Wood (1970)
- Joan Collins (1971)
- Ursula Andress (1972-1978)
- Barbra Streisand (1972)
- Jacqueline Bisset (1972)
- Tuesday Weld (1973)
- Cybill Shepherd (1973)
- Bianca Jagger (1975–1977)
- Julie Christie (1975)
- Melanie Griffith (1976–1977)
- Barbara Allen (1978)
- Anouk Aimée (1978)
- Anjelica Huston (1978-1979)
- Diana Ross (1979)
- Farrah Fawcett (1979–1997, 2001–2009) – Ryan began dating actress, fashion model, and artist Farrah Fawcett in 1979. They had been together for nearly 2 decades when Farrah left Ryan, in 1997, after catching him in bed with model and actress Leslie Stefanson. During this period, they had had a son together named Redmond James Fawcett O’Neal (b. January 30, 1985) (Voice Actor). The pair reconciled in 2001 and was together until Farrah’s death, due to cancer, in June 2009.
- Leslie Stefanson (1997)
Race / Ethnicity
He is of Irish and English descent on his father’s side and Irish and Ashkenazi Jewish (German and Polish) descent on his mother’s side.
- Mildly stocky frame
- Short-cropped, wavy hair
- Clean-shaven look
- Affable smile
Ryan O’Neal Facts
- Before kicking off his acting career in 1960, Ryan had trained as an amateur boxer for a few years. In his teenage years, he had compiled an amateur boxing win-loss record of 18-4, including 13 knockouts.
- For his portrayal of the character of Oliver Barrett IV in the romantic drama film Love Story (1970), just his 3rd feature film, he was nominated in the category of ‘Best Actor’ at both the Academy Awards and the Golden Globes.
- In 2001, he was diagnosed with chronic myelogenous leukemia (CML). In April 2012, he had been diagnosed with stage IV prostate cancer.
- He had been, reportedly, considered for playing 2 of the most iconic movie characters of all time – Michael Corleone in The Godfather (1972) and Rocky Balboa in Rocky (1976).
Featured Image by Ryan O’Neal / Instagram