|Sebastian Korda Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 5 in|
|Date of Birth||July 5, 2000|
Sebastian Korda is an American professional tennis player who is adept at both the singles and the doubles formats of the sport having been rated as high as world number 30 in singles in May 2022 and world number 176 in doubles in September 2021, as per the official ATP (Association of Tennis Professionals) rankings. At Grand Slam tournaments, in the singles format, Sebastian had reached the quarter-final of the 2023 Australian Open; and the 4th round of the 2020 French Open as well as the 2021 Wimbledon Championship. As of January 2023, he has won a solitary singles title on the ATP Tour – the 2021 Emilia-Romagna Open (ATP 250).
Bradenton, Manatee County, Florida, United States
Bradenton, Manatee County, Florida, United States
Professional Tennis Player
- Father – Petr Korda (Tennis Coach, Former Professional Tennis Player, Winner of the 1998 Australian Open, Runner-up at the 1992 French Open, Former world number 2 in the official ATP singles rankings)
- Mother – Regina Rajchrtová (Former Professional Tennis Player, Quarter-finalist in the doubles event at the 1990 French Open)
- Siblings – Nelly Korda (Older Sister) (Professional Golfer, Winner of the 2021 Women’s PGA Championship, ‘Gold’ medalist at the 2020 Tokyo Olympics, Ranked number 1 at the end of 2021 in the official Women’s World Golf Rankings), Jessica Regina Korda (Older Sister) (Professional Golfer, Runner-up at the 2022 Chevron Championship)
Right-Handed (Two-Handed Backhand)
6 ft 5 in or 195.5 cm
82 kg or 181 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Sebastian has dated –
- Ivana Nedved (2021-Present)
Race / Ethnicity
He is of Czech descent.
- Toned physique
- Towering frame
- Overgrown, side-parted, neck-length hair
- Affable smile
- Clean-shaven look
He has been sponsored by –
- Nike, Inc. (American multinational footwear, apparel, and sports equipment brand)
- Motorola Mobility LLC (American consumer electronics and telecommunications company)
- The Wilson Sporting Goods Company (American sports equipment manufacturer)
- Adidas AG (German multinational corporation that designs and manufactures shoes, clothing, and accessories)
Sebastian Korda Favorite Things
- Tennis Shot – Backhand
- Tennis Surface – Hard Court
- Tennis Tournament/Event – US Open
- Tennis Idols/Role Models – Petr Korda, Rafael Nadal, Radek Štěpánek
- Sports – Tennis, Ice Hockey, Golf
- Sports Team – Boston Bruins (Ice Hockey)
Source – ATP Tour
Sebastian Korda Facts
- Sebastian grew up playing competitive ice hockey at the junior level since he was 3 years old. As a child, he dreamed of a career in the NHL (National Hockey League), a professional ice hockey league in North America that is considered to be the top-ranked league in the world.
- He only switched to tennis after he accompanied his father to the 2009 US Open. He was about 9 years old at that time. About 2 years later, he also won a golf tournament in Prague, Czech Republic, in which his older sister and future world number 1 professional golfer, Nelly, also competed.
- Sebastian first came into the spotlight when he won the 2018 Australian Open in the boys’ singles event, 20 years after his father had won the senior Australian Open singles title. The win also helped him reach the number 1 world ranking at the youth tier.
- At the junior level, in the doubles format, he reached the semi-final of the 2017 Wimbledon Championship; as well as the quarter-final of the 2017 French Open and the 2018 Australian Open.
- Sebastian reached the 4th round of the 2020 French Open as well as the 2021 Wimbledon Championship – in his very first appearance in the main draw of both of these Grand Slam tournaments. This made him just the 3rd male player in the Open Era to have reached the 4th round of both of these events in his debut appearance in their main draws. Björn Borg (1973) and Mikael Pernfors (1986) had previously achieved this rare feat.
- In May 2021, he won the Emilia-Romagna Open, his first title (singles or doubles) on the ATP Tour. He did not drop a set throughout the tournament and also became the first American male tennis player to have won a clay court tournament in Europe since Sam Querrey in 2010.
- This title triumph helped Sebastian achieve a career-high singles ranking of 50. This also made Sebastian and his father Petr the 3rd father-son duo to have won at least 1 title each on the ATP Tour in the Open Era. The previous father-son duos to have achieved this rare feat were Phil Dent-Taylor Dent, and Ramanathan Krishnan-Ramesh Krishnan.
- At the 2023 Australian Open, he upset then-world number 8 and 7th-seed Daniil Medvedev in the 3rd round in straight sets. It was just his 4th win over a player ranked within the ‘Top 10’ of the official ATP singles rankings.
- Sebastian then defeated 10th-seed Hubert Hurkacz in 5 sets to reach the quarter-final of a Grand Slam (Australian Open/French Open/Wimbledon Championship/US Open) tournament for the first time in his career.
- He owns a pet cat whom he had named Rafa after Rafael Nadal, one of his childhood heroes.
Featured Image by Sebastian Korda / Instagram