|Sendhil Ramamurthy Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 10 in|
|Date of Birth||May 17, 1974|
Sendhil Ramamurthy is an American actor who is best-known for playing the role of Mohinder Suresh in the sci-fi TV Series Heroes (2006-2010). Coming from a family of doctors, Sendhil had joined the university as a pre-med major. However, after taking an “Intro to Acting” class during his junior year, he started to have 2nd thoughts. Eventually, after participating in several plays, most notably Our Country’s Good, he decided to change the course of his career from medicine to acting. He went to London, attended the Webber Douglas Academy and graduated with a degree in dramatic arts. While there, he also became a member of the Royal Shakespeare Company and appeared as Silvio in the theatrical production of A Servant of Two Masters (2001) in London’s West End. After this, he returned to the United States and appeared in plays like Indian Ink (2003) at the Soho Repertory Theatre and East Is East at the Manhattan Theatre Club.
He eventually progressed to TV parts but made a conscious decision to not audition for too many stereotypical Indian roles. In 2000, he played the role of Adam in the television miniseries In the Beginning. Sendhil’s major television appearances include Cpl. Alex Leonard in Ultimate Force (2002), Jai Wilcox in Covert Affairs (2010-2012), Nikhail Julian/Golding in Stan Lee‘s Lucky Man (2016-2017), and Dr. Panthaki in New Amsterdam (2018-2019). He played the lead role of Paul Hammond in the medical drama TV series Reverie in 2018 and was also cast as the villain Dr. Ramsey Rosso in the 6th season of the superhero television series The Flash. Sendhil made a return to the stage in 2019 as Imran in the play Hatef**k.
Sendhil Amithab Ramamurthy
Chicago, Illinois, United States
London, England, United Kingdom
Sendhil attended Keystone School in San Antonio, graduating in 1991. He then attended Tufts University in Massachusets initially as a pre-med major. However, after taking an acting class, as part of his graduation requirement, he opted to change the course of his career. He eventually graduated, in 1996, with a bachelor’s degree in history and then attended the Webber Douglas Academy of Dramatic Art in London, graduating in 1998.
- Father – Somayaji Ramamurthy (Physician)
- Mother – Rajam Ramamurthy (Physician)
- Siblings – Sujatha Ramamurthy (Sister) (Physician)
- Others – Jay Chandrasekhar (Cousin) (Comedian, Film Director)
He is represented by –
- Dara Gordon, Manager, Anonymous Content, California, United States
- Sarah Fargo, Agent, Paradigm Talent & Literary Agency, California, United States
- Roger Charteris, Agent, The Artists Partnership, London, England, United Kingdom
5 ft 10 in or 178 cm
70 kg or 154.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Sendhil has dated –
- Olga Sosnovska (1999–Present) – While he was in London, Sendhil met Poland-born actress Olga Sosnovska. The pair dated for a short while and got married in 1999, just after Sendhil graduated from Webber Douglas Academy of Dramatic Art. The couple now resides in London and has 2 children – a daughter named Halina (b. 2005) and a son named Alex (b. 2008).
Race / Ethnicity
Sendhil has Tamil ancestry on his mother’s side and Kannada ancestry on his father’s side.
- Frizzy Hair
- Light Stubble
Best Known For
Portraying geneticist Mohinder Suresh in the sci-fi TV Series Heroes (2006-2010) and Jai Wilcox in the action TV series Covert Affairs (2010-2012)
Sendhil made his feature film debut as Nikki in Death, Deceit & Destiny Aboard the Orient Express in 2001.
First TV Show
Sendhil made his TV show debut as Adam on the mini-series, In the Beginning in 2000.
Sendhil prepares rigorously for his acting roles, which often require precision fitness and training. He has commended Toronto-based personal trainer and nutrition coach Kia Khadem for helping him out with a customized workout routine.
Sendhil Ramamurthy Favorite Things
- Directors – Steven Spielberg, David Fincher, Darren Aronofsky
- Fictional Characters – James Bond
- Dream Role – T. E. Lawrence played by Peter O’Toole in Lawrence of Arabia (1962)
- Actresses – Meryl Streep, Cate Blanchett, Kate Winslet
- Actors – Marlon Brando, Sam Rockwell
- Movies – On the Waterfront (1954), Withnail & I (1987)
Sendhil Ramamurthy Facts
- At Tufts University, Sendhil was a member of the Kappa Charge of Theta Delta Chi social fraternity.
- In 2005, Sendhil played a cameo in the pilot episode of the iconic medical drama TV series Grey’s Anatomy.
- Sendhil’s character of Mohinder Suresh in the TV Series Heroes was initially written for a 55-year-old. However, impressed by his audition tape and screen test, the showrunners had to rewrite the role.
- Sendhil has appeared in numerous short films such as Little India (2001) and Jhumpa Lahiri’s A Temporary Matter (2007).
- He has also been featured in films like Blind Dating (2006), The Slammin’ Salmon (2009), It’s a Wonderful Afterlife (2010), Shor in the City (2011), and The Lifeguard (2013).
- Sendhil had a limited appearance in the 4th and final season of Heroes (2006-2010) and he had stated that he would not have returned if the show had been recommissioned for another season. However, when the show was revived (as a mini-series, Heroes Reborn) in 2015, Sendhil did reprise the role of Mohinder Suresh in guest appearances.
- In 2013, he exclusively produced and starred in the critically acclaimed drama film, Brahmin Bulls. It was the full-length directorial debut of Mahesh Pailoor, who had directed the short film Little India (2001), in which Sendhil had appeared.
- Sendhil has been very active with philanthropic work and regularly associates himself with organizations like The Asia Society, Nanubhai Education Foundation, VJ Amritraj Foundation, Characters Unite, Pitt-Hopkins Syndrome International Network, and American India Foundation.
- Sendhil’s first agent had suggested him to change his name as acting roles for South Asians are few. However, Sendhil refused to do so.
- In 2007, Sendhil was named in People magazine’s list of “100 Most Beautiful People”.
- Sendhil is a tennis enthusiast and was a competitive player in his younger days.
- Sendhil once made up the fact that he was an expert horseman on his resume to land an acting role. He got the role and had to rush to take riding lessons. However, the financing of the film could not be sorted out and it was eventually canceled.
- Sendhil’s first public performance was the role of Orlando in the Shakespearean play As You Like It at the Cliveden Outdoor Shakespeare Festival in England. Olga Sosnovska, his then-girlfriend, was playing Rosalind.
- Visit his official website @ sendhilramamurthy.net.
Featured Image by watchwithkristin / Flickr / CC BY-SA 2.0