|Sergei Polunin Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 11 in|
|Date of Birth||November 20, 1989|
Sergei Polunin is a Ukrainian ballet dancer, model, and actor, best known for his dancing skills in a solo filmed to Hozier‘s well-known song Take Me To Church (2015), uploaded to YouTube. In 2018, he danced again to Hozier’s song Movement (2018), again under the direction of David LaChapelle. As a dancer, he has served as a guest artist at theaters worldwide such as La Scala Theatre, Teatro San Carlo, Sadler’s Wells Theatre, Bolshoi Theatre, Stanislavski, and Nemirovich-Danchenko Moscow Academic Music Theatre, and Bayerisches Staatsballet. He was also the recipient of Youth America Grand Prix and Prix de Lausanne awards in 2006 and was named “Young British Dancer of the Year” in 2007. In 2011, Sergei was also described as “a fabulous dancer, with a steely technique and beautiful line” by The New York Times magazine.
In 2017, Sergei came to prominence as an actor, having appeared in the theatrical release Murder on the Orient Express. The next year, he played Konstantin in the movie Red Sparrow alongside Jennifer Lawrence, Joel Edgerton, and Ciarán Hinds, as well as The White Crow as Yuri Soloviev alongside Ralph Fiennes. In 2018, Sergei also starred in the movie The Nutcracker and the Four Realms with Mackenzie Foy, Keira Knightley, Morgan Freeman, Jack Whitehall, and Misty Copeland. Sergei has also amassed a large fanbase online with more than 200k followers on Instagram and more than 150k followers on Facebook.
Sergei Vladimirovich Polunin/Сергій Володи́мирович Полу́нін
Kherson, Ukrainian SSR, Soviet Union
London, England, United Kingdom
His talent for gymnastics was spotted early in his life, and he trained at a dedicated academy between the ages of 4 and 8. Sergei then attended Kyiv State Choreographic Institute in Kyiv, Ukraine.
At the age of 13, in 2003, he left Ukraine to enroll in the Royal Ballet School in London, England, United Kingdom. At the age of 20, he became the youngest-ever male principal dancer at the school. In 2012, Sergei abruptly quit the school citing the need for more creative freedom but returned in 2013 alongside another female dancer, Tamara Rojo, who also previously quit.
Ballet Dancer, Actor, Model
- Father – Vladimir Polunin
- Mother – Galina Polunin
- Siblings – Unknown
Sergei Polunin is represented by Special Artists Agency (Talent Agent Commercial) in West Hollywood, California, United States.
5 ft 11 in or 180.5 cm
72 kg or 159 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Sergei Polunin has dated –
- Natalia Osipova (2015-2018) – He began dating the fellow ballet dancer and actress in 2015 after they worked together on the production of Giselle. Both of them later stated that “it was love at first sight” and that they felt ‘the spark’ from the get-go. They also decided to live together in London, England, United Kingdom. Unfortunately, the two broke it off only 3 years later. Even though they remained great friends and praised each other in interviews, Natalia admitted in May 2019 that she had no contact with him for a while.
Race / Ethnicity
He has Ukrainian and Russian ancestry.
- Tall, athletic physique
- Long, slicked-back messy haircut
- Defined jawline
Sergei Polunin has endorsed brands such as Dior Homme (2018).
Best Known For
- Being a well-known ballet dancer for the Royal Ballet School in the United Kingdom, showing off his skills publicly in numerous performances, as well as 2 solos for Hozier’s songs Take Me To Church (2013) and Movement (2018) uploaded to YouTube
- His roles in movies such as Murder on the Orient Express (2017), Red Sparrow (2018), The White Crow (2018), and The Nutcracker and the Four Realms (2018)
- Having a fanbase online with more than 200k followers on Instagram and more than 150k followers on Facebook
Sergei Polunin made his theatrical film debut as Slave Master – Hannibal / Shepherd – Il Muto in The Phantom of the Opera at the Royal Albert Hall in 2011.
First TV Show
Sergei Polunin made his first TV show appearance as ‘Himself’ in an episode of the news series Channel 4 News on January 25, 2012.
Sergei Polunin Favorite Things
- Disney Character – Mickey Mouse
- Actor – Mickey Rourke
- Actress – Helen Mirren
- Childhood Action Heroes – Jean-Claude Van Damme, Arnold Schwarzenegger
- Personal Quote – “What made my mind go free is that I wanted to become an artist.”
Sergei Polunin Facts
- Early in his life, his mother accompanied him in Kyiv, Ukraine, while he trained choreography and dancing, while his dad worked in Portugal so he could provide for them. They divorced while he was still studying at the Kyiv State Choreographic Institute.
- Sergei wanted to show that he was “the worst” so he would get a “bad boy of ballet” label. He admitted it later backfired on him because certain companies didn’t want to be associated with him.
- In 2002, he was only a Prize Winner, but in 2006, he won a gold medal at the Serge Lifar International Ballet Competition in Kyiv, Ukraine.
- Sergei has won the Critics’ Circle National Dance Award for the “Best Male Dancer” (2010) and “Best Classical Male Dancer” (2011).
- A biography, documentary movie titled Dancer (2016), directed by Steven Cantor, was about his life, from childhood to late teenage years and struggles with a commitment to dancing.
- Sergei set up Project Polunin and began promoting it in 2018, in an effort to connect dancers, artist, musicians, and choreographers to work together.
- In June 2018, his video for Project Polunin was shown at the reopening of the National Museum of Serbia after it had undergone renovation for 15 years. A year earlier, Sergei was awarded Serbian citizenship for his efforts in promoting the country and its culture.
- In February 2018, Sergei attended Calvin Klein‘s Fall 2018 Show in New York City, New York, United States.
- He was on the cover of the Glass Magazine in March 2018, and of Zoo Magazine in May 2018.
- Sergei appeared in a short-film music video for Rankin and Husky Loops’s song Tempo in June 2018.
- In November 2018, Sergei was backstage at a concert of Deadmau5, a well-known DJ, to whose music he was addicted to.
- Sergei has a large tattoo of Vladimir Putin’s portrait on his chest and proudly showed it off in November 2018 while also praising his efforts as the President of Russia.
- In December 2018, he praised the President of the United States, Donald Trump. Sergei also tattooed his portrait on his right shoulder.
- Sergei has a tattoo of The Joker on his left shoulder, the name ‘Наташа’ or ‘Natasha’ on his left knuckle area, words ‘Mickey Rourke’ dedicated to his favorite actor on his forearm, a howling wolf on his left hip area as well as others on his stomach, palm, hip, and fingers.
- He came under a lot of attacks after he posted what seemed like homophobic and sexist remarks in his faltering English in late 2018. He stated: “Man up to all men who is doing ballet there is already ballerina on stage don’t need to be two.” He also added: “Man should be a man and woman should be a woman… That’s a reason you got balls. Same think outside ballet.”
- After those remarks and the anger of other ballet dancers, his performance of Swan Lake in the Paris Opéra Ballet in January 2019 was canceled. Sergei later went on to defend himself, saying: “I was saying it’s important to have male energy in dance. I know that audiences love that individuality and the man must have strength. It doesn’t matter if you are gay or straight: the man should have the strength to take care of families and take care of loved ones.” He also announced that he hired a team to take care of his social media so that he doesn’t make the same mistake again.
- Visit his official website @ poluninink.com.
- Follow him on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube.
Featured Image by Sergei Polunin / Instagram