|Sharon Needles Quick Info|
|Date of Birth||November 28, 1981|
Sharon Needles is an American drag performer, recording artist, musician, television personality, actress, and dancer who rose to fame as she appeared as a contestant on the 4th season of the reality competition series, RuPaul‘s Drag Race, in 2012. She won the season and was crowned “America’s Next Drag Superstar” in April 2012. Over the years, she has also released a number of tracks, extended plays, and albums which include PG-13, Battle Axe, Spoopy, Hollywoodn’t, #Liftmeup (with Greko, Debbie Harry, Amanda Lepore, and Peppermint), and Dracula.
Newton, Jasper County, Iowa, United States
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
She dropped out of school before she could finish high school.
Drag Performer, Recording Artist, Musician, Television Personality, Actress, Dancer
EDM, Indie Pop, Pop Rock, Sadcore
Producer Entertainment Group, Sidecar Records
6 ft or 183 cm
70 kg or 154.5 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Sharon Needles has dated –
- Alaska Thunderfuck (2009-2013) – She started dating fellow RuPaul’s Drag Race contestant Justin Honard, better known by the stage name Alaska Thunderfuck, in the year 2009. They were together for 4 years but separated amicably in 2013.
- Chad O’Connell (2013-2020) – In late 2013, she began dating special FX artist Chad O’Connell and they got engaged in 2015. However, the duo parted ways in summer 2020.
Race / Ethnicity
- Curvy physique
- Bold eye makeup
- Spooky drag aesthetic
Sharon Needles Facts
- While growing up, she experienced a difficult time in Iowa as she faced anti-gay and anti-“outsider” harassment which made her drop out of school.
- Sharon shifted to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania in 2004 and started working as a professional drag performer with the stage name Sharon Needles. She performed in nightclubs and many other venues with the drag troupe “the Haus of Haunt”.
- She has described “the Haus of Haunt” as “one punk rock, messy mash-up of very talented, fucked up weirdos”.
- Her stage name Sharon Needles is a pun on the phrase “sharin’ needles”.
- She joined YouTube on November 11, 2011.
- On January 29, 2013, she released her debut studio album, PG-13, which included songs like Dressed to Kill, Call Me on the Ouija Board, Drink Till I Die, Dead Girls Never Say No, and Disco Ball. The album was ranked at number #4 on the US Heatseekers Albums (Billboard) chart and at number #9 on the US Dance/Electronic Albums (Billboard) chart.
- Sharon Needles has described herself as a “stupid genius, reviled sweetheart, and PBR princess”.
- She is the drag mother of Drag Race season 10 winner Aquaria.
- June the 12th is celebrated as Sharon Needles Day in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
- She has also appeared on shows like RuPaul’s Drag Race: Untucked, She’s Living for This, Good Behavior, Bestie$ For Ca$h, and Drag Queens React.
Featured Image by DVSROSS / Flickr / CC BY 2.0