|Debbie Harry Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 3 in|
|Date of Birth||July 1, 1945|
Debbie Harry is a well-distinguished American singer, songwriter, model, actress, and a voice actress who has achieved much success as the lead singer of the punk rock band Blondie. Founded by guitarist Chris Stein and Debbie in 1974, her amazing vocal contribution put on the top of the charts for many years. They had also released several well-perceived studio albums such as Plastic Letters (1977), Parallel Lines (1978), Eat to the Beat (1979), and Ghosts of Download (2014). Besides that, Debbie had also attained success as a solo artist with the release of her hit albums KooKoo (1981), Rockbird (1986), and Def, Dumb and Blonde (1989).
Besides her worldwide success as a singer, Debbie also has a dozen hit films credited to her successful career as an actress. Some of her most liked films are Union City (1980), Videodrome (1983), Hairspray (1988), Deuces Wild (2002), and My Life Without Me (2003). She has also been cast in a number of TV shows including Crime Story (1987), Sabrina the Teenage Witch (1996), Absolutely Fabulous (2002), and Difficult People (2015,2016).
Blondie, Deborah Harry, Moon
Miami, Florida, United States
New York, United States
Debbie graduated from Hawthorne High School in 1963. After this, she went on to attain an Associate of Arts degree from Centenary College situated in Hackettstown, New Jersey in 1965.
Singer, Songwriter, Model, Actress
- Mother – Her mother was a concert pianist.
- Others – Richard Smith (Stepfather) (Gift Shop Owner), Catherine Harry (Stepmother) (Gift Shop Owner)
Debbie is represented by Untitled Entertainment.
As a member of Blondie, she is represented by Tenth Street Entertainment.
Rock, New Wave, Punk Rock, Disco, Pop
Vocals, Drums, Guitar
In the past, Debbie had released her music under labels Private Stock Records, Chrysalis Records, Geffen, Epic, Sire, and Eleven Seven Label Group.
5 ft 3 in or 160 cm
57 kg or 126 pounds
Boyfriend / Girlfriend / Spouse
Debbie has dated –
- Iggy Pop – One of the very first rumors that spread like fire was about singer and songwriter Iggy Pop and Debbie dating one another. They also collaborated to for the release of Well Did You Evah! for Iggy’s album A Million in Prizes: The Anthology (2005).
- Joey Ramone – Singer, songwriter, and musician Joey Ramone and Debbie dated for a while back in the ’90s. Their long told sensual story was no doubt one of the most cherished relationships by fans. Despite that, neither of them ever spoke about dating one another.
- David Johansen – Another rumor that played its part was that of singer, songwriter, and actor David Johansen who was rumored to have been in a relationship with Debbie.
- Harry Dean Stanton – Debbie and actor, musician, and singer Harry Dean Stanton had dated one another in the past. She had also name-checked him in her song I Want That Man (1989), singing “I want to dance with Harry Dean / Drive through Texas in a black limousine.” According to sources, she also called up Harry after she had realized that he did not get the message. The led quite the flirtatious journey ever since and ultimately became close friends.
- Cal Chamberlain – Pioneering online journalist and musician Cal Chamberlain and Debbie were said to have a short fling with another.
- Chris Stein (1976-1989) – One of the longest relationships that Debbie had was with guitarist and founding member of Blondie Chris Stein. The two began dating 2 years after the formation of the band in 1976 and continued to stick by each others side through happiness and sorrow. However, things came to an after 13 years when Chris finally wanted to settle down and start a family with her but Debbie was not ready to give up the life she led as a rock star.
- Roger Meddows Taylor (1977) – English musician and singer Roger Meddows Taylor and Debbie were assumed to have had a short encounter with one another. At the time, he had also been dating Dominique Beyrand with whom he had 2 children.
- Penn Jillette (1980) – Illusionist, comedian, actor, and author Penn Jillette once told Loundersound.com that, he had dated Debbie for many years during the ’80s.
- Debbie has also dated a number of women. According to Daily Mail, the singer and actress also stated that she found her encounters with women to be more satisfying.
Race / Ethnicity
She is said to have either Scottish or English ancestry.
- Beautiful eyes
- Seductive deep voice
- Perfectly shapes lips
- Chiseled jawline
Debbie has done endorsement work for several brands such as including Gv jeans (1981), Mac (2006), and Swiffer (2005-2008).
In August 2021, she was featured in a campaign for the Coach Camo Collection along with Michael B. Jordan, Quincy, and Jeremy Lin.
Best Known For
- Being the founder of the popularly known punk rock band Blondie and her contribution as the lead singer to the band’s several hit albums, Plastic Letters (1977), Parallel Lines (1978), Eat to the Beat (1979), and Ghosts of Download (2014)
- Releasing various well-perceived solo studio albums like KooKoo (1981), Rockbird (1986), Def, Dumb & Blonde (1989), Debravation (1993), and Necessary Evil (2007)
- Being nominated for a Golden Globe Award for her song Call Me which was a soundtrack that was featured in the film American Gigolo (1980)
- Starring in several distinguished films like Union City (1980), Videodrome (1983), Hairspray (1988), Deuces Wild (2002), and My Life Without Me (2003)
- Being cast a number of shows like Crime Story (1987), Sabrina the Teenage Witch (1996), Absolutely Fabulous (2002), and Difficult People (2015,2016)
- Being one of the most successful Playboy Bunny
- Getting featured on the cover of various highly-regarded magazines like Nylon, Cosmopolitan, Saga Magazine, Hit Parade, Rolling Stone, GQ, and Vogue
As a solo music artist, Harry released her debut studio album titled KooKoo on July 27, 1981. It consisted of a total of 10 singles like Jump Jump, The Jam Was Moving, Chrome, Surrender, Inner City Spillover, Backfired, Now I Know You Know, Under Arrest, Military Rap, and Oasis. It also included 2 bonus tracks Backfired (12″ Remix) and The Jam Was Moving 12″ Mix. In a CD re-issue in 2011, the song Inner City Spillover 12″ Mix was also included along with the previously released bonus tracks. The album had become an instant success having achieved its place at #6 on the UK Official Albums Chart and #25 on the Billboard 200. Later, it was certified gold in the United States and silver in the United Kingdom.
As the lead vocalist of the band Blondie, she contributed her skills to the release of their debut self-titled studio album which was released in December 1976. The album was initially compiled of a total of 11 tracks including X Offender, Little Girl Lies, In the Flesh, Look Good in Blue, In the Sun, A Shark in Jets Clothing, and Man Overboard. In a 2001 CD re-issue, 5 other songs which included Out in the Streets, The Thin Line, and Platinum Blonde were introduced as bonus tracks.
Debbie made her debut theatrical film appearance as a “Singer” in Deadly Hero in 1975. However, her role was uncredited.
She made her first credited feature film appearance as Blondie in the drama movie Unmade Beds in 1976.
First TV Show
Debbie made her first TV show appearance as “Herself” in The Muppet Show in 1980.
In the past, she had undertaken eight weeks of wrestling lessons from a professional welterweight champion from Britain. This was done in order for Debbie to play her part in the Broadway show Teaneck Tanzi: The Venus Flytrap.
As of 2013, Debbie had revealed in an interview with Harper’s Bazaar her daily routine which would normally begin with a warm French press coffee. Then for breakfast, she was eating fruit, eggs, or cereal. She also stated that she does not consume any kind of dairy products and preferably likes to eat gluten-free food. After that, she would go to the gym at least 5 to 6 times a week.
As she had been a beauty diva ever since she came into the limelight, Debbie considers it very important to take care of the skin. And, one of the most important steps that she considers is to always remove her makeup before getting into bed. As of 2013, she was using the Goddess of Skin to cleanse her face.
Debbie Harry Favorite Things
- Place To Wake Up – St. David’s, Wales
Source – Harper’s Bazaar
Close Encounter With Ted Bundy
Debbie once stated that in 1972, while walking down a street in New York at early parts of the morning a dilapidated Volkswagen Beetle had pulled up beside her and the man inside offered to give her a lift. However, the moment she sat in the car, Debbie began to get the creeps as she had noticed that there were no handles to open the door from the inside. Listening to her inner instinct, she managed to put her hand through a small opening in the window and opened the door from the outside, hence flinging herself out of the car. It was only a few days later that she had realized that the car that she had sat in was none other than that of notorious serial killer Ted Bundy who had begun his killing spree in 1969.
However, according to reports by the website Snopes, there had been no such known sightings or record of Bundy’s activities in New York during the given time period.
Debbie Harry Facts
- Debbie who was born Angela Trimble, was renamed Deborah Ann Harry by her step-parents, Catherine and Richard Smith. Who had adopted her when she merely 3 months old. The couple was both owners of a gift shop situated in Hawthorne, New Jersey.
- Debbie was raised as an Episcopalian. She had also been a member of her church choir.
- It wasn’t until she was 4 years old, that her foster parents told her that she was adopted.
- Prior to pursuing her love for music, Debbie had picked up a couple of jobs along the way. She went from working at BBC Radio in New York as a secretary to working as a waitress at Max’s Kansas City. She also took up a job as a go-go dancer at a nightclub in Union City and worked as a beautician before going to become a successful Playboy Bunny.
- The band was initially billed as Angel and the Snake. However, in August 1974, it was changed to ‘Blondie’ which was derived from the truck drivers who would refer to Debbie as ‘blondie’ each time they saw her while driving past.
- During the late ’80s, Debbie began to search for her biological mother. However, upon locating her mother, she did not want to have anything to do with Debbie.
- In 1980, Andy Warhol had done a series of acrylic and silkscreen ink portraits of her on canvas.
- Her song Rapture from Blondie‘s fifth studio album Autoamerican (1980) had become their fourth and last single to pilot the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 list. It is also considered to be the first rap song to have attained #1 place on the chart.
- In 1981, Harry was nominated for the prestigious Golden Globe Award for “Best Original Song – Motion Picture” for her hit song Call Me which was featured in the film American Gigolo (1980).
- She was one of the several women placed in Harper’s Bazaar “10 Most Beautiful Women in America” list in 1981.
- After the band’s leading man, Chris Stein fell victim to a rare autoimmune disease known as pemphigus, the band began to fall apart. That, and the declining record sales forced the band to split in 1982. However, after more than a decade, the band was reformed in 1997, bringing along with them their 7th successful studio album titled No Exit (1999).
- Not all of Debbie’s songs were a hit. Tracks like Rush Rush (1983) and Feel The Spin (1985) did not attain much success.
- After the release of her third successful album Def, Dumb and Blonde (1989), she changed her professionally known name back to “Deborah” from “Debbie”.
- As a solo music artist, Deborah had released a total of 5 albums, KooKoo (1981), Rockbird (1986), Def, Dumb & Blonde (1989), Debravation (1993), and Necessary Evil (2007). Besides that, she also released a number of hit compilation albums like The Complete Picture: The Very Best of Deborah Harry and Blondie (1991).
- From the early ’80s to the ’90s, Debbie had subdued herself to the use of various drugs including heroin. However, she states that it was only due to the hardship she was facing at the time.
- Over time, she has also collaborated with many well-known music artists and bands like Dee Dee Ramone, Elliott Sharp, Future Islands, and German post-punk band Die Haut.
- Besides being an amazing actress and singer, she has also lent her vocals as a voice actress in several animated films and shows Rock & Rule (1983) and Phantom 2040 (1994-1995). She also voiced the character of Delores in Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (2002) and Elizabeth in Double Switch (1993).
- Debbie was so crippled by her own beauty that she had removed all the mirrors from her house. She also admitted to having a facelift done in the past, stating “You photograph better, and looks are a key part of being an entertainer, so I felt it was something I had to do.”
- Deborah was graced as an s*x symbol from the 1970s to the 1980s. In April 2014, she was also given the title as the “Sexiest Singer Alive” by Glamour Magazine.
- In the past, Harry was listed at #12 place on the “100 Greatest Women of Rock N Roll” list by VH1. She was also ranked at #18 on their “100 Sexiest Artists” list.
- On March 13, 2006, her band Blondie was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Later, on May 22, 2006, they were given a place at the Rock Walk Hall of Fame.
- She and music artist Nancy Spungen were very close friends.
- In the past, she wanted to play the lead female role in the films Raging Bull (1980) and TRON (1982). However, the roles were given to actress Cathy Moriarty and Cindy Morgan.
- In 2010, lookalike Mattel Barbie dolls were featured in their “80s Pink Label Collection.” Also, there were dolls of singer and songwriter Joan Jett and Cyndi Lauper.
- Debbie had once worked in New York’s first Head Shop for a while.
- In 2017, Debbie was introduced into the Hall of Fame for the category of “Performing Arts.”
- As of 2013, she had a beautiful collection of apparel from highly noted designers and brands like Yves Saint Laurent, Marc Jacobs, Comme des Garçons, Balenciaga, and Chris Benz.
- As of 2019, the band consisted of Debbie Harry, bassist, and guitarist Chris Stein, drummer, percussionist, and back vocalist Clem Burke – drums. Also to join the band later were bassist Leigh Foxx, keyboardist Matt Katz-Bohen, and guitarist Tommy Kessler.
- Debbie is the kind of person who finds it hard to believe in people.
- When she’s not busy, Debbie likes to do her household work and a bit of gardening. She also used to enjoy painting mostly portraits in the past.
- She was a huge fan of professional wrestler Dick Beyer also known as The Destroyer or Doctor X. She had also performed a couple of songs wearing a t-shirt with his character print on it.
- Deborah had also wrestled a bit in the past and when asked if it was fake she replied, “No, it’s real. You get hurt. I got beat to sh*t.” She also jokingly stated that the “Weather Girls could kick my ass, but I could beat Cyndi Lauper. Anytime, anyplace!”.
- She believes that she had developed a psychic ability during her childhood years.
- The famous Zebra print dress that she wore for a poster shoot was made from a pillowcase that she had found in the garbage.
- There was once a time when Deborah and her friends had to fetch for clothes from dumps as they did not have any money.
- She once enjoyed watching the Animated show Squidbillies.
- In 2013, she had two dogs a Japanese chin who she called Kisuki and a mixed breed named Jupiter.
- Visit her official website @ debbieharry.com.
- You can follow Blondie on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, SoundCloud.
Featured Image By Blondie / Instagram
to me she’s one of the most beautiful woman