|Joan Jett Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 5 in|
|Date of Birth||September 22, 1958|
Joan Jett is an American rock singer, songwriter, composer, musician, record producer, and occasional actress. She is best known for being the founding member of an all-female teenage American rock band called The Runaways, that released the famous track Cherry Bomb that peaked at number 6 on the Billboard Bubbling Under Hot 100 chart in the United States and also being the frontwoman of her band called Joan Jett & the Blackhearts that released the song I Love Rock ‘n Roll that peaked at number1 on the Billboard Hot 100 for 7 weeks in the year 1982. Some of her most famous songs include Bad Reputation, Crimson and Clover, Do You Wanna Touch Me (Oh Yeah), Light of Day, I Hate Myself for Loving You, and Dirty Deeds.
Joan Marie Larkin
The Queen of Rock ‘n’ Roll, The Godmother of Punk, The Original Riot Grrrl
Wynnewood, Pennsylvania, United States
Los Angeles, California, United Staes
Joan attended Randolph Junior High and Wheaton High School located in Rockville, Maryland.
Singer, Songwriter, Composer, Musician, Record Producer, Actress
- Father – James Larkin (Insurance Salesman)
- Mother – Dorothy Jett Larkin (Secretary)
- Siblings – She has 2 younger siblings.
Joan is represented by Blackheart Records Group.
Rock, Hard Rock, Punk Rock
- Blackheart Records
- Epic Records
- Boardwalk Records
- MCA Records
- CBS Records
- Warner Bros. Records
- Polydor Records
- Chrysalis Records
- Bellaphon Records
- Mercury Records
5 ft 5 in or 165 cm
56 kg or 123.5 lbs
Boyfriend / Girlfriend / Spouse
Joan has dated –
- Lisa Curland – Joan was romantically involved with a woman named Lisa Curland in the past.
- Kira Roessler – She also dated American bassist Kira Roessler for a short period of time.
- Danny Bonaduce (1974) – In 1974, Joan was rumored to be dating American actor Danny Bonaduce.
- Cherie Currie (1976) – Joan was also rumored to be dating the lead singer of her band The Runaways, Cherie Currie in 1976.
- Tom Petersson (1977) – In 1977, American musician Tom Petersson was rumored to be in a relationship with Joan.
- Pleasant Gehman (1977) – Joan dated American dancer Pleasant Gehman briefly in 1977.
- Dee Dee Ramone (1977) – She had a hookup with American musician Dee Dee Ramone in 1977.
- Billy Idol (1978) – In 1978, Joan was linked to British singer Billy Idol.
- John Lydon (1978) – In January of 1978, British singer John Lydon was rumored to be involved with Joan.
- Chuck Zito (2001) – In 2001, Joan dated American actor Chuck Zito for some time.
- Stephanie Adams (2003) – In 2003, Joan was romantically involved with American model Stephanie Adams.
- Jenna Jameson (2006) – In February 2006, Joan and American adult film star Jenna Jameson were said to be romantically linked.
- Carmen Electra (2006-2007) – In May 2006, Joan began dating American actress Carmen Electra. Their relationship however ended in January 2007 after 8 months of dating.
Race / Ethnicity
She has Irish, English, and Scottish ancestry.
However, Joan has never spoken about her sexuality and has oftentimes refused to remark whether she is a lesbian or bisexual.
- Thin eyebrows
- Front bangs short choppy jet black hair
- Emo look
- Mostly wears a leather vest and leather pants
- Deep husky voice
- Often wears black eyeliner
Joan Jett has done endorsement work for –
- NBC Spy TV (2001)
- Mary Tyler Moore Show (2001)
- Rock & Roll Jeopardy (1998)
- ABC’s “NYPD Blue (1997)
- Women’s NCAA basketball tournament on ESPN (1996)
- No Price Charming Required for Mass. Mutual Financial Group (2001)
- Because Music Is Just Better In Color for Toshiba Gigabeat (2005)
- American Chopper, Same Bad Attitude (2006)
- HP TouchSmart PC (2008)
Best Known For
- Being the founding member of an all-female teenage American rock band called The Runaways, that released the famous track Cherry Bomb that peaked at number 6 on the Billboard Bubbling Under Hot 100 chart in the United States
- Being the frontwoman of her band called Joan Jett & the Blackhearts that released the song I Love Rock ‘n Roll that peaked at number1 on the Billboard Hot 100 for 7 weeks in the year 1982
- Her songs including Bad Reputation, Crimson and Clover, Do You Wanna Touch Me (Oh Yeah), Light of Day, I Hate Myself for Loving You, and Dirty Deeds
Joan released her first studio album The Runaways with the all-female teenage American rock band called The Runaways in June 1976.
She released her first studio album as a solo artist in 1980 titled Joan Jett.
Joan made her feature film debut in Rock ‘N Roll Sports Classic as ‘Herself’ in 1978.
First TV Show
She made her first TV show appearance in Tomorrow Coast to Coast as herself in 1977.
Joan Jett Favorite Things
- Night Spot in Los Angeles – Rodney Bingenheimer’s English Disco
Source – Wikipedia
Joan Jett Facts
- She was only 14 years old when she got her first guitar and began taking lessons but later quit because her trainer would just focus on folk songs.
- She changed her name to Joan Jett, taking up her mother’s name shortly after her parents divorced.
- In 1975, she founded an all-female teenage American rock band The Runaways including members Sandy West, Jackie Fox, Lita Ford, and Cherie Currie.
- In 2010, a movie came out about The Runaways in which Kristen Stewart played Jett and Dakota Fanning played the character of Cherie Currie.
- The Runaways had a popular fan base in Europe, Asia, Australia, Canada, and South America, but they could not achieve the same level of fandom in the United States and shortly after Cherie Currie left, the band released 2 more albums with Joan being the lead singer and the band finally disbanded in the spring of 1979 starting from 1975.
- In 1979, after the end of The Runaways, Joan collaborated with an American punk rock band from Los Angeles called The Germs and produced their only album GI.
- Later in 1979, Joan moved to England to start a career as a solo artist.
- She is also a sports enthusiast and stays actively involved in the sports world.
- Joan’s signature guitar is a white Gibson Melody Maker that she has used on all her hit tracks since the year of 1977.
- In 2008, the brand Gibson released a guitar called Joan Jett Signature Melody Maker that retails for $839. The only difference between it and Joan’s model is that it has a single burst bucker 3 humbucker pickup, an ebony fretboard and a double-cutaway body in white with a black vinyl pickguard and also contains a kill switch in place of a pickup selector.
- In the 2004 elections, Joan was a supporter of Howard Dean because of his opposition to the Iraq War.
- Joan is a pure vegetarian and has remained so for more than 20 years. The reason behind her becoming a vegetarian was her love of animals.
- She later learned of the environmental impacts of intensive animal farming that converted her into an advocate for vegetarian, vegan living and also an animals rights advocate and a supporter of both PETA and Farm Sanctuary.
- Visit her official website @ joanjett.com.
- Follow Joan Jett on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube.
Featured Image by Toglenn / Wikimedia / CC BY-SA 3.0