|Shashi Tharoor Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 9 in|
|Date of Birth||March 9, 1956|
Shashi Tharoor is an Indian politician, diplomat, and writer who has attained widespread popularity by serving as a Member of Parliament for Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala since 2009. As of 2022, he belongs to the Indian National Congress political party.
London, England, United Kingdom
Shashi studied at the Montfort School in Yercaud for 1 year in 1962. After that, he attended the Campion School in Mumbai from 1963 until 1968 and St. Xavier’s Collegiate School in Kolkata between 1969 and 1971.
Shashi graduated from St Stephen’s College, University of Delhi with a Bachelor’s degree in history in 1975. He earned his Master’s degree in International Relations in 1976 from The Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy, Tufts University in Medford, Massachusetts. He went on to receive a Master of Arts degree in Law and Diplomacy in 1977. Additionally, he also obtained his Ph.D. in International Relations and Affairs from the same school in 1978.
Politician, Diplomat, Writer
5 ft 9 in or 175 cm
74 kg or 163 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Shashi has dated –
- Tilottama Mukherji – In 1981, he got married to his college sweetheart Tilottama Mukherji. They welcomed twin sons in 1984 named Kanishk Tharoor and Ishaan Tharoor before getting divorced a few years later.
Christa Giles (2007-2010) – He was briefly married to the Canadian diplomat, Christa Giles from 2007 to 2010.
- Sunanda Pushkar (2010-2014) – On August 22, 2010, he wed businesswoman Sunanda Pushkar. Their marriage lasted until Pushkar’s mysterious death on January 17, 2014. At that time, Tharoor was considered a prime suspect in his wife’s death, but he was cleared of all charges in 2021.
- Mehr Tarar – He was rumored to be having an affair with Pakistani journalist Mehr Tarar during his marriage to Sunanda.
Race / Ethnicity
However, his hair has turned salt-and-pepper due to his advancing age.
- Charismatic personality
- Anglicized accent
- Gives eloquent speeches
Shashi Tharoor Facts
- He is a vegetarian.
- Before he was overtaken by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, Shashi was the most-followed Indian politician on Twitter.
- He was one of the 9 people hand-picked by Modi to promote the Swachh Bharat Mission in 2014.
- Tharoor has authored numerous books including The Great Indian Novel (1989), Show Business (1992), Riot (2001), Why I Am a Hindu (2018), etc.
- Tharoor reads a lot and has an excellent vocabulary.
Featured Image by World Economic Forum / Wikimedia / CC BY-SA 2.0