|Shawn Johnson Quick Info|
|Height||4 ft 11 in|
|Date of Birth||January 19, 1992|
Shawn Johnson is an American former artistic gymnast who is the 2008 Olympic balance beam gold medalist and team, all-around, and floor exercise silver medalist. In the year 2007, she became a member of the U.S. senior team and is also the 2007 all-around World Champion as well as a 5-time Pan American Games gold medalist, winning the team titles in 2007 and 2011, as well as titles in the all-around, uneven bars, and balance beam in 2007. On June 3, 2012, she announced her retirement from gymnastics. Apart from that, she also appeared as a celebrity competitor in the 8th edition of ABC’s Dancing with the Stars in 2009 and became the youngest champion in the show’s history at that time.
Shawn Machel Johnson
Shawn, Peanut, Bubbly, America’s Sweetheart, Shawn Johnson East
Des Moines, Iowa, United States
Nashville, Tennessee, United States
Shawn Johnson went to the Valley High School in West Des Moines. In 2009, she left public school and in 2010, completed her high school education with the assistance of a private tutor.
In 2013, she got admission to Vanderbilt University with an intention to study sports psychology and nutrition.
Retired Artistic Gymnast, Reality TV Show Contestant
- Father – Doug Johnson
- Mother – Teri Johnson
- Siblings – None
Shawn Johnson has been represented by Sheryl Shade of Shade Global.
4 ft 11 in or 150 cm
45 kg or 99 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Shawn Johnson has dated –
- Taylor Phinney (2008) – At the 2008 Olympics, cyclist Taylor Phinney, who had a room above her, used to toss Snickers bars to Shawn Johnson as she was prohibited from eating by the gymnastic authorities. This is how they got to know each other. After she won the medal and moved to another hotel with her parents, they moved their relationship to the hotel lobby. They used to shut the blinds for their make-out sessions.
- Andrew East (2013-Present) – Shawn Johnson met Andrew’s brother Guy East at the 2012 London Games. She was watching her friend Taylor Phinney compete and Guy was his teammate. Guy was so impressed with her that he wanted his brother Andrew to date her. Few months after the 2012 games, Guy put Andrew on a flight to Los Angeles so that he could meet Shawn, who was working in Dancing with the Stars. However, it didn’t amount to much. Then in June 2013, she paid a visit to Nashville, where they had their first official date. About 4 months later, she moved to Nashville. In July 2015, East proposed her at Wrigley Field during a Chicago Cubs game in front of a stadium packed with fans. In April 2016, they got married. In October 2017, it was revealed that Shawn had suffered a miscarriage. The couple welcomed a daughter named Drew Hazel East on October 29, 2019. In January 2021, it was revealed that they were expecting their 2nd child together. In July 2021, they announced the news that they had welcomed a baby boy named Jett James. In July 2023, it was revealed that they were expecting their 3rd child together.
Race / Ethnicity
- Short and curvaceous body
- Blonde locks
34-27-32 in or 86-68.5-81 cm
10 (US) or 42 (EU)
4 (US) or 34.5 (EU)
Shawn Johnson has done endorsement deals with –
- Longines watches
- Oroweat baked goods
- Sanofi-Aventis pharmaceuticals
- Circuit City
- Crest toothpaste (P&G)
- InterContinental Hotels Group
- Bounty paper towels
- Secret deodorant
Also, she has been featured on the packaging for Hy-Vee products, Coca-Cola, McDonald’s, and Oscar Mayer Lunchables.
Best Known For
- Having won numerous medals and competitions in artistic gymnastics
- Having won the 8th season of the dance competition, Dancing with the Stars
First TV Show
In October 2007, she was seen in an episode on the talk show Ellen: The Ellen DeGeneres Show.
After retiring from competitive gymnastics, she had a problem finding her perfect routine for a couple of years. However, since then, she has slowly found a workout regime that suits her perfectly.
She goes to the gym about 4 to 5 times a week doing between 30 minutes to 1 hour of workout. Her preferred workout modes include boot camps and indoor cycling. She is particularly obsessed with SoulCycle workouts.
Also, she has retained some of the moves from her competitive days to keep her body supple and toned. One such move is V-Up crunches which works all the core muscles in a single move.
In the gym, she also lays special emphasis on lower body workouts and performs tons of variations of lunges and squats. She considers jump squats the most brutal exercise of them all. Plus, she likes to go out for long runs and has participated in a couple of half marathons.
Before her exercise session, she drinks a protein smoothie with a portion of any fruit. Her post-workout meal ranges from peanut butter and jelly sandwich to grilled chicken. For breakfast, her go-to meal is egg white omelet, toast with strawberry jam, and green tea.
Shawn Johnson Favorite Things
- Movies – A Walk to Remember (2002), Miracle (2004), Marvel’s Avengers: Endgame, Avengers: Infinity War, and the Harry Potter film series
- Biggest Fears – Bees and Wasps
- Celebrity Crush – Ryan Gosling
- Twitter Personality – Chrissy Teigen
- Car – 1986 Cherokee Jeep
- Halloween Costume – Hannah Montana
- Olympian she wants to meet – Yao Ming
- Competition Song – Just Dance (By Lady Gaga)
- Super Power – To Fly
- Foods – Peaches and cream, chicken and steak kebabs, and corn on the cob
- Competitive Memory – 2008 Olympic Games
- Food Cities – Los Angeles, New York City
- Restaurants – Marea, Sushi Yasuda, NOBU, Brooklyn Diner
- Item In Her Wardrobe – Calia sweats
- Room In Her House – Porch
- Book – The Ruthless Elimination of Hurry
- Breakfast Meals To Cook – Waffles, scramble and bacon, or sweet potato biscuit egg sandwiches
Shawn Johnson Facts
- In November 2015, she opened up about the eating disorder she suffered from in lead up to the 2008 Olympics and was eating less than half of the suggested calorie intake by the medical professionals.
- In order to help young girls avoid the pitfalls of negative body image, she has co-founded The Body Department, a collaborative website with information on fitness and nutrition.
- In 2009, the online poll commissioned by the Forbes magazine declared Shawn as America’s Most-Liked Sports Figure for 2009.
- In 2009, she was named the Best Female U.S. Olympian at the ESPY Awards.
- She was also titled the Teen Choice’s Best Female Athlete in 2009.
- Before she became a competitive gymnast, she aspired to become a doctor.
- For her tremendous achievements in athletics, she was honored with an installation of her life-sized bronze statue at the Iowa Hall of Pride in her hometown, Des Moines.
- On her victorious return from the 2007 World Championship, the governor of Iowa declared October 17 as the Shawn Johnson Day in the state.
- In August 2013, she was given a position in the USA Gymnastics Hall of Fame along with her 2007 World Championship teammates.
- In December 2008, she published her autobiographical book, Shawn Johnson: Olympic Champion: Stories Behind the Smile, in which her life was chronicled using her personal photos.
- As a spokesperson for Sanofi-Aventis (a pharmaceutical company), she has worked to raise awareness about women’s cancer.
- In December 2008, she joined hands with Iowa native Ashton Kutcher for a charity fundraiser event with proceeds going to the repair of areas destroyed by the flooding.
- In March 2009, her stalker was arrested for jumping the fence at the CBS lot. The authorities found with him duct tape, zip ties, guns, and love letters addressed to Johnson.
- The pregnant Shawn Johnson was tested positive for coronavirus in January 2021.
- Her ideal comfort food is pancakes with butter and syrup.
- Shawn has a fear of karaoke.
- Her guilty-pleasure TV shows are New Girl and Ted Lasso.
- Shawn is inspired by athletes like Mary Lou Retton, Lindsey Vonn, Serena Williams, and Billie Jean King.
- While growing up, her celebrity crush was Ryan Reynolds.
- In the past, Shawn revealed that she buried her Olympic medals in her backyard.