|Sheila Atim Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 11¾ in|
|Year of Birth||1991|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Sheila Atim is a Ugandan actor, theatre artist, singer, composer, model, and playwright who made her professional acting debut at Shakespeare’s Globe by playing the role of Maenad in the musical titled The Lightning Child in 2013. She co-wrote the play with her acting teacher Ché Walker. Sheila Atim has also been cast in several on-screen projects which include shows and movies like The Woman King, The Underground Railroad, I Live with Models, Twelfth Night, The Feed, Bruised, Bounty Hunters, The Pale Horse, Harlots, The Irregulars, Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness, The Show, Sulphur and White, and Pinocchio.
She was born in 1991.
Sheila Atim studied at Coopers’ Company and Coborn School, a secondary school and sixth form located in the Upminster area of the London Borough of Havering. Afterward, she attended King’s College London and graduated with a degree in Biomedical Science.
She also took acting lessons at the Weekend Arts Centre in Belsize Park, London.
Actor, Theatre Artist, Singer, Composer, Playwright, Model
Sheila Atim has been signed with Sue Terry Voices, Acting Agency, London, England, United Kingdom.
Vocals, Piano, Violin, Bass, Drums
5 ft 11¾ in or 182 cm
60 kg or 132 lbs
Race / Ethnicity
Sheila Atim Facts
- She was just 5 months old when she relocated to the United Kingdom with her mother.
- She was raised in Rainham, London.
- During her teen years, Sheila Atim did a few modeling projects. She was recruited after she shaved the side of her head for a school prom.
- In 2009, she was part of the London Fashion Week event “All Walks beyond the Catwalk” organized by the British Fashion Council. The event aimed to showcase clothes for “real women”.
- Talking about her modeling pursuits, Sheila Atim once said, “modeling was never a big earner for me. I was unusual looking, so I couldn’t go for commercial castings.”
- She was cast as Marianne Laine in the musical Girl from the North Country and this role won her the Laurence Olivier Award for “Best Actress in a Supporting Role in a Musical” and the Critics’ Circle Theatre Award for “Most Promising Newcomer”. The role also got her nominated for an Evening Standard Theatre Award in the “Emerging Talent” category.
- Sheila Atim played the recurring role of Limehouse Nell in the period drama television series Harlots in 2018.
- For her services to drama, she was honored with the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire (MBE) in the 2019 Queen’s Birthday Honours List.
- Being a former science student, she told the King’s College alumni magazine in 2020 that “I look back and feel a strong connection between my scientific and artistic sides. Science often comes up in my work – even the way I approach things in the rehearsal room is affected by having taken BioMed. Sometimes it’s little private parallels and analogies I make for myself.”
- In 2021, Sheila Atim started playing the role of Mabel in the fantasy historical drama streaming television limited series The Underground Railroad.
- She brought to life the character of Sara Wolfe (a Master of the Mystic Arts) in the 2022 superhero film Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness, starring Benedict Cumberbatch, Elizabeth Olsen, Chiwetel Ejiofor, Benedict Wong, Xochitl Gomez, Michael Stuhlbarg, and Rachel McAdams.
- Alongside Viola Davis, Thuso Mbedu, Lashana Lynch, and John Boyega, Sheila Atim co-starred as Amenza in the 2022 historical epic film The Woman King. The film is based on the Agojie (the all-female warrior unit that protected the West African kingdom of Dahomey during the 17th to 19th centuries).
Featured Image by Pilot Theatre / Flickr / CC BY 2.0