|Shilpa Shetty Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 5¾ in|
|Date of Birth||June 8, 1975|
Shilpa Shetty is a multi-talented personality from India. She is an actress, businesswoman, model, film producer, writer, and a great cook. She runs her own YouTube channel where she posts new recipes weekly. Shilpa started her acting career in 1993 with the film Baazigar. Though he modeling career was started in 1991 and she hence appeared in a Limca commercial. She had just finished her 10th class schooling at that time. She is also a multilingual lady who knows English, Hindi, Tulu, Kannada, Marathi, Tamil, Telugu, and Urdu.
Mangalore, Karnataka, India
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Shilpa Shetty went to the St. Anthony Girls’ High School in Chembur, Mumbai. After completion of her school education, she got enrolled at the Podar College in Matunga.
Actress, Producer, Model, Businesswoman
- Father – Surendra Shetty (Manufacturer of water caps for the pharmaceutical industry)
- Mother – Sunanda Shetty (Manufacturer of water caps for the pharmaceutical industry)
- Siblings – Shamita Shetty (Younger Sister) (Actress)
Shilpa Shetty is represented by Tribe Entertainment.
5 ft 5¾ in or 167 cm
58 kg or 128 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Shilpa Shetty has dated
- Akshay Kumar (1997-2000) – Shilpa Shetty started dating actor Akshay Kumar in 1997. Their relationship had blossomed on the sets of the movie, Insaaf. It has been wrongly claimed that they hooked up while working on the movie, Main Khiladi Tu Anari. It was also claimed that Akshay had cheated on her former girlfriend, Raveena Tandon, by hooking up with Shilpa. Later, in their relationship, the Indian media claimed that she was looking to retire from movies as Akshay wanted her to settle down. It was also rumored that they had got engaged. They opted to end their relationship in 2000 while they were shooting for the movie, Dhadkan.
- Sandeep Chowta (2002) – Towards the end of 2002, she was reported to be dating music director, Sandeep Chowta. Later, it was even rumored that they had decided to get engaged.
- Raj Kundra (2009-Present) – Shetty first met businessman Raj Kundra at a business meeting. Kundra was assisting her in the promotion of her newly launched perfume collection. However, while working in the professional capacity, they became close friends, which morphed into a romantic relationship. In November 2009, they got married in a big fat Indian wedding. She gave birth to their son, Viaan Raj Kundra in May 2012. The only blot in their fairy tale love story came when Shetty was termed as a marriage breaker by his former wife, Kavita. Kavita claimed that she had influenced Raj to walk away from his wife and their newborn daughter.
Race / Ethnicity
She has Tuluva ancestry. The Tuluva community traces its roots back to Kerala and Karnataka.
- Long Legs
- Prominent Nose
- High Cheekbones
Shilpa Shetty has done endorsement work or appeared in the TV commercials for the following brands –
- B Natural
- Yakult Danone
- Madhusudan Ghee
- Ankur Namak
- Aroka Store
- Prega News
Her religious views aren’t known.
Best Known For
- Having won the 5th season of the British reality TV series, Celebrity Big Brother
- Having served as a judge in the popular talent hunt shows such as Nach Baliye and Jhalak Dikkhhla Jaa
- Having appeared in several popular Bollywood movies such as Dhadkan, Life in a… Metro, Garv, and Apne
In 1993, Shilpa made her theatrical film debut in the thriller drama movie, Baazigar. The movie was an immense hit and also served as Shah Rukh Khan‘s breakthrough movie.
First TV Show
In 2004, Shilpa Shetty made her first TV show appearance in the reality TV series, Indian Idol.
Shilpa Shetty was introduced to yoga by her physiotherapist who suggested it as a cure for her neck pain. It would be an understatement to say that she has been hooked to yoga since then. She has released DVD series based on her love of Yoga.
She practices yoga about three to four times a week. Her yoga sessions last for about an hour and are followed by a 10 minutes meditation sessions. She has also included strength training and cardio. For her strength training routine, she divides it between upper and lower body splits. Also, he prefers to lift heavy weight over lightweight as it can better sculpt her muscles.
She supports her workout regime by eating a balanced diet.
She starts her day with a glass of hot water and papaya smoothie with lemon. She follows it up with two eggs and milk tea with brown sugar. She also loves to have different juices with ingredients such as amla, aloe vera, pomegranate, green apple, cucumber, spinach, and beetroot.
In her meals, she includes complex carbs such as brown pasta, brown bread, and brown rice.
For her last meal of the day, she likes to have salad, stir-fried paneer or veggies, and soup. She eats a piece of jaggery after her meals. And, all her meals are cooked in olive oil.
Shilpa Shetty Favorite Things
- Food – Indian Food
- Style Inspirations – Gayatri Devi, Kabir Bedi, Shilpa’s mother
- Designers – Donna Karan, Tarun Tahiliani, Manish Malhotra, Diane von Furstenberg
- Shopping Destinations – New York and London
- Handbag Brands – Balenciaga and Bottega Veneta
Source – NDTV, Hindustan Times
Shilpa Shetty Facts
- She is multilingual and apart from her native Tulu, she is also fluent in Hindi, Kannada, Marathi, English, Tamil, Telugu, and Urdu.
- She donated her salary from the movie, Phir Milenge, which was based on the treatment of HIV positive women, to an AIDS charity.
- Her highly acclaimed movie Phir Milenge was screened by the United Nations and praised for raising awareness about AIDS.
- She was discovered by Yash Chopra‘s assistant Dilip Naik after he saw her pictures while she was studying in the college. Naik showed Chopra Shetty’s pictures and he decided to cast her in his home production. But, the project was eventually scrapped.
- She started her modeling career in 1991 by appearing in a TV commercial for Limca. When she was cast in the commercial, she had just completed her tenth-grade education.
- For her tremendous performance in her debut movie, she was nominated for the Best Supporting Actress and Best Female Debut awards at the Filmfare awards.
- In 2006, she took part in a photoshoot for PETA that had her crouching in a small cage, while wearing a skin-tight tiger costume. The photoshoot was done to raise awareness about the treatment of animals in the circuses.
- In 2007, she became the first Indian celebrity to be cast in the popular British reality TV show, Celebrity Big Brother.
- In Celebrity Big Brother, Shetty was a target of racist bullying, which helped her garner public sympathy that ultimately helped her win the show. The English TV personality Jade Goody was especially vicious in her treatment of Shetty.
- Along with her husband Raj Kundra, Shilpa Shetty became the co-owner of the Indian Premier League team Rajasthan Royals. Together with her husband, they hold 11.7 % stake in the team.
- She is the co-owner of the Indian chain of salons and spas called Losis.
- While studying in school, she was the captain of the volleyball team.
- She has received extensive training in classical dance forms such as Bharatanatyam.
- She has received training in karate and has managed to earn a black belt in it.
- In April 2006, a court in Madurai issued a non-bailable warrant against her after she refused to comply with the court summons, which were issued in a response to a petition submitted for posing in an obscene way for a Tamil language newspaper.
- In April 2007, the arrest warrants were issued against Richard Gere and Shetty by a Rajasthan based court for indulging in an obscene act in public. Gere had kissed and hugged Shetty during an AIDS awareness event.
- In February 2007, she was invited by Keith Vaz MP to attend a reception at the House of Commons and meet British Prime Minister Tony Blair.
- In aftermath of her Celebrity Big Brother win and racism row, she was invited to meet Queen Elizabeth II at London based Marlborough House in March 2007.
- As she received widespread exposure and commercial work opportunities after Celebrity Big Brother, she was accused by some for exploiting racism for professional and financial gains.
- In 2014, she collaborated with Luke Coutinho for her first book, The Great Indian Diet. She followed it up with a solo publication, The Diary of a Domestic Diva, in 2018.
- Visit her official website @ theshilpashetty.com.
- Follow her on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube.
Featured Image by Bollywood Hungama / BollywoodHungama.com / CC BY 3.0