|Sofia Coppola Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 5.5 in|
|Date of Birth||May 14, 1971|
Sofia Coppola is an American actress known for being the daughter of The Godfather director Francis Ford Coppola. She has directed many films and has even won The Academy Award for “The Best Original Screenplay” for the movie Lost in Translation. As an actress, she has portrayed various important roles in popular TV shows and films like The Godfather and The Outsiders.
Sofia Carmina Coppola
New York City, New York, United States
West Village, New York, United States
Sofia did her schooling from St. Helena High School, Napa Valley, California, in 1989. Later she enrolled in Mills College, Oakland, California and then went to California Institute of the Arts. She later dropped out of the college and started her own clothing line.
Director, Producer, Screenwriter, Actress
- Father – Francis Ford Coppola (Film Director, Screenwriter, Producer)
- Mother – Eleanor Coppola (Filmmaker and Writer)
- Siblings – Gian-Carlo Coppola (Older Brother) (Producer), Roman Coppola (Older Brother) (Screenwriter and Producer)
- Others – Talia Shire (Aunt) (Actress), Nicolas Cage (Cousin) (Actor), Gia Coppola (Niece) (Director and Actress), Carmine Coppola (Paternal Grandfather), Italia Pennino (Paternal Grandmother), Clifford Albert Neil (Maternal Grandfather), Delphine Carolyn Lougheed (Maternal Grandmother)
5 ft 5.5 in or 166 cm
55 kg or 121 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Sofia has dated –
- Keanu Reeves (1991-1992) – Sofia and actor Keanu Reeves dated from 1991 to 1992. During that time, Keanu was working with her father on the movie Dracula.
- Anthony Kiedis (1992-1993) – Sofia dated Red Hot Chili Peppers singer Anthony Kiedis briefly. They met in 1992 and their relationship lasted till 1993.
- Spike Jonze (1993-2003) – Sofia met director Spike Jonze in 1992. After her breakup with previous boyfriend Kiedis, she went on to a date with Spike in 1993. They ultimately got married in 1999. Their marriage lasted till 2003.
- Quentin Tarantino (2003-2004) – Sofia and director Quentin Tarantino were friends for many years. They started dating in 2003 and parted ways a year later. The pair always remained friends.
- Thomas Mars (2005-Present) – In 2005, Sofia Coppola started dating French musician Thomas Mars. The couple met during the production of the soundtrack of one of Coppola’s films. They got married on August 27, 2011, in Bernalda. The couple has two daughters named Romy Croquet (b. November 28, 2006) and Cosima Croquet (b. May 18, 2010).
Race / Ethnicity
Sofia has Italian ancestry on her father’s side, while, on her mother’s side, she has English ancestry.
She has collaborated with Louis Vuitton for their handbag line in the past.
Best Known For
Appearing in The Godfather series and also for directing the film Lost in Translation, which got nominated for Academy Award under the “Best Picture” and “Best Director” categories in 2003
As an actress, she made her theatrical film debut as Michael Francis Rizzi in The Godfather in 1972. However, her role was uncredited.
She made her credited theatrical film debut in The Outsiders in 1983.
As a director, her first theatrical film was The Virgin Suicides in 1999.
First TV Show
She made her first TV show appearance on The Godfather Saga in 1977. However, her role was uncredited.
She made her first credited TV Show appearance on Faerie Tale Theatre in 1986.
Sofia Coppola Favorite Things
- Color – Navy Blue
- Band – The Chemical Brothers
- Films – Rumble Fish (1983), The Last Picture Show (1971), Sixteen Candles (1984), Lolita (1962), and Breathless (1960)
Sofia Coppola Facts
- She interned with Chanel in 1986 when she was 15 years old.
- She started her own clothing line called the Milkfed after dropping out of the college that is exclusively sold in Japan now.
- Sofia’s working style is completely different from her father, Francis Ford Coppola.
- Sofia directed the film Lost in Translation (2003), which got nominated for The Academy Award under the “Best Director”, “Best Original Screenplay”, and “Best Picture” categories and won in “The Best Original Screenplay” category.
- One of Sofia’s very good friends is designer Marc Jacobs, who has named a bag after her called “The Sofia Bag”.
- Sofia is the first American woman and 3rd woman in the world to be nominated for The Academy Award in the “Best Director” category.
- She has directed the TV commercials for popular brands like GAP and Miss Dior.
- She is not active on social media.
Featured Image by Siren-Com / Wikimedia / CC BY-SA 3.0