Los Angeles, California, United States
Gia Coppola attended the Archer School for Girls in West Los Angeles.
However, she dropped out of school before her graduation and was home schooled thereafter. She eventually cleared GED tests.
Gia also went to a community college and later attended Bard College in New York to study photography.
Film director, actress, screenwriter
- Father – Gian-Carlo Coppola (Former Film Producer)
- Mother – Jacqui de la Fontaine
- Siblings – None
- Others – Francis Ford Coppola (Paternal Grandfather), Peter Getty (Stepfather), Carmine Coppola (Great Grandfather), Francesco Pennino (Great Great Grandfather) Eleanor Coppola (Grandmother), Italia Coppola (Great Grandmother), Sofia Coppola (Paternal Aunt), Roman Coppola (Paternal Uncle), Nicolas Cage (Cousin), Jason Schwartzman (Cousin), Christopher Coppola (Cousin)
5 ft 8 in or 173 cm (Approx)
54 kg or 119 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Gia Coppola dated –
- Sam Freilich – Gia Coppola is in relationship with the literary agent Sam Freilich. Gia started dating Sam in her early 20s. They decided to separate for a short period before reuniting in 2014. Gia spends some of her time in New York living with Sam.
Race / Ethnicity
She is of Italian descent.
- Bangs in her hairdo
- Prominent nose
- High cheekbones
33-24-34 in or 84-61-86 cm
4 (US) or 34 (EU)
Gia Coppola has her own line of wine that goes with by nickname, Gia. The wine is made and marketed by her family’s winery, Francis Ford Coppola Winery.
Gia has a commercial deal with Everlane collection, which allows her to design her own range of clothes.
Best Known For
- Belonging to the famous Coppola family, which includes the director of iconic Godfather movies.
- Directing the highly acclaimed Palo Alto movie, which was inspired by James Franco’s short story collection.
As Director, Gia’s first movie was the 2012 short drama film Casino Moon, for which she had also written script.
As Actress, Gia’s first film was Woody Allen’s New York Stories for her role as Baby Zoe in 1989.
In an interview given to Marie Claire UK, Gia revealed that she isn’t taken by the healthy eating fad. Basically, she is very bad at eating healthy and has no qualms in eating the cheeseburger or any other fast food.
Gia Coppola Favorite Things
- Books – Nine Stories (By J.D. Salinger), Victory (By Joseph Conrad), Elia Kazan: A life (By Elia Kazan), The Lonely Doll (By Dare Wright), The Marriage Plot (By Jeffrey Eugenides), Middlesex (By Jeffrey Eugenides), The Sea, the Sea (By Iris Murdoch), The Far Side of Dollar (By Ross Macdonald), The Hawkline Monster: A Gothic Monster (By Richard Brautigan), Please Kill Me: The Oral History of Punk (By Legs McNeil and Gillian McCain)
- TV Show – Keeping up with the Kardashians
- Singer – Kanye West
Source – NY Times, Marie Claire
Gia Coppola Facts
- Gia Coppola was hired by her aunt Sofia Coppola as a staff assistant for the costume department for the shooting of one of her movies.
- Gia loved her aunt Sofia Coppola’s movie The Virgin Suicides so much that she had the poster of the movie on the wall of her bedroom.
- Gia’s teen bedroom was used as Emma Robert’s character’s bedroom in the movie Palo Alto.
- James Franco asked Gia to make a movie based on his book Palo Alto, after seeing collection of photographs Gia had taken while working with Japanese Vogue.
- Gia is very close to her grandfather Francis Ford Coppola and as a child, used to accompany him on his European trips. She used to have walkie-talkie strapped to her in case she needed him for help.
- Gia never got to meet her father Gian-Carlo Coppola, who died in a boating accident while his wife was 7 months pregnant with Gia.
- After completing her 3-year photography course from Bard College, she briefly entertained an idea of becoming a bartender.
- Coppola loves to spend summer holidays at her family vineyard in Napa Valley and catching crawfish with his uncle Roman Coppola.
- Gia’s movie direction style and technique is considered very similar to her aunt Sofia’s working style.
- After college, she used to work as a creative consultant in Twixt, which was a horror thriller movie produced and directed by her grandfather Francis Ford Coppola.
- Gia has directed a four part video series in partnership with Gucci. Watch these videos on Vogue magazine.
- Gia has also starred as muse for Rosetta Getty (designer) for the editorial photo series done by photographer Amy Sioux.
- Connect with Gia on Instagram.