|Sophie Ellis-Bextor Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 9 in|
|Date of Birth||April 10, 1979|
Sophie Ellis-Bextor is an English singer, songwriter, model, and DJ known as the lead singer of the indie rock band Theaudience. Formed in 1996, the band went on to release an album and multiple tracks including Theaudience, If You Can’t Do It When You’re Young; When Can You Do It?, A Pessimist Is Never Disappointed, I Got the Wherewithal, and I Know Enough (I Don’t Get Enough). The band disbanded in 1999 and Sophie started pursuing a solo career. Over the years, she has released several albums and songs such as Read My Lips, Make a Scene, Familia, Shoot from the Hip, Wanderlust, Trip the Light Fantastic, Murder on the Dancefloor, Music Gets the Best of Me, Take Me Home, Starlight, I Won’t Change You, Catch You, Mixed Up World, Young Blood, Crystallise, Me and My Imagination, Today the Sun’s on Us, Revolution, Bittersweet, Off & On, Come with Us, Runaway Daydreamer, Wild Forever, Love Is a Camera, The Deer & the Wolf, Death of Love, and Crying at the Discotheque.
Sophie Michelle Ellis-Bextor
Sophie, The Dance Queen, Mademoiselle EB
Hounslow, London, England, United Kingdom
Chiswick, West London, England, United Kingdom
Sophie studied at St Stephen’s School in Twickenham, London and took her A-level exams (equivalent to grade 12) while studying at Godolphin and Latymer Private School in Hammersmith, West London.
It was a part of her plan to study for a Bachelor’s degree in English and Drama at Queen Mary Westfield University but she joined the band called Theaudience before finishing school.
Hence, Sophie deferred enrollment in college to focus on singing.
Singer, Songwriter, Model, DJ
- Father – Robin Bextor (Film Producer & Director)
- Mother – Janet Ellis (Television Presenter)
- Siblings – Has 5 half-siblings all younger than her, two from her mother’s remarriage and 3 from her father’s remarriage:
- Jackson Ellis-Leach (Half Brother) (Session Drummer for John Newman, Arlissa, The Saturdays, and Sophie Ellis-Bextor)
- Martha Rose Ellis-Leach (Half-Sister) (Art Historian & Writer)
- Dulce Bextor (Half-Sister)
- Twins Maisy (Half-Sister)
- Bertie Bextor (Half Brother)
- Others – John Leach (Step-Father), Polly Mockford (Step-Mother), Mike Ellis (Maternal Grandfather), Judith Newton (Maternal Grandmother)
She has been represented by these agencies –
- United Agents, Lexington Street, London (Agency)
- The Celebrity Group, London (for endorsements)
- Has also been registered with multiple other booking agents, events, and entertainment companies
- Pop / Dance Pop
- eLLeFFe Mercury Records (while she was a member of Theaudience)
- Polydor Records
- EBGB’s LLP
- Interscope (the U.S. only)
- Hollywood (U.S. and Canada only)
5 ft 9 in or 175 cm
64 kg or 141 pounds
Boyfriend / Spouse
Sophie has dated –
- Richard Jones (2003–Present) – Sophie first met her husband-to-be when she was auditioning musicians for her Read my Lips tour in 2002. Both Richard and Sophie were dating other people at that time. Richard found Sophie extremely attractive at first sight but thought she was out of his league, hence did not think about dating her. However, while working together, the two became very good friends and Richard became Sophie’s confidant. A week after Sophie broke up with her then-boyfriend in August 2003, she started dating Richard. 6 weeks later Sophie was surprised to find she was pregnant with her first child. Her parents, as well as Richard himself, were extremely supportive. Eventually, he took her to Barcelona, Spain for a surprise marriage proposal. They got married in a private ceremony in Italy in June 2005 when their first child was also old enough to enjoy the event. To pursue a serious relationship with Sophie, Richard quit the band. The couple also often takes up DJing gigs together. Together, the two have 5 sons: Sonny Jones (b. April 2004), Kit Valentine Jones (b. February 2009), Ray Holiday Jones (b. April 2012), Jesse Jones (b. November 2015), and Mickey Jones (b. January 7, 2019).
Race / Ethnicity
She has British (English) ancestry.
Sophie dyes her hair in different colors as a make-over.
- Tall frame
- Unique Eye Color
- Sharp and Broad Jawline
35-28-36 in or 89-71-91.5 cm
6 (US) or 10 (UK) or 38 (EU)
8 (US) or 5.5 (UK) or 38.5 (EU)
Sophie has supported many commercial brands throughout her long career which exceeds 2 decades. Some of her confirmed endorsements are as follows:
- Rimmel Cosmetics (2008)
- Thomas Nayler designer jewelry
- Danz Spas (2011)
- Nioxin Haircare (2013)
- Seppälä Apparel Spring 2013
- Pretty Polly tights from House of Fraser (2014)
- Face of Phase Eight apparel Spring / Summer 2015
- Part of Dulux Copper Blush campaign (2015)
- Wrigley’s chewing gum (2015)
- Ascot’s Appletiser soft drink (2016)
- C Wonder fashion collection (2016)
- Pampers Preemie Protection Range (diapers for premature babies) (2017)
- DenTek Oral care (2017)
But, she claims to be a humanist.
Best Known For
- Her solo debut album, Read My Lips (2001) which was certified “double platinum” and peaked at #2 on the UK Albums chart
- Sophie’s 5th album, Wanderlust (2014) which peaked at #4 in the UK
- She participated in season 11 of the British Strictly Come Dancing (2014) competition. Sophie was a strong contender who reached the finals but came 4th losing to the other 3 finalists.
Sophie released a 14-track studio album called Theaudience in 1998. 4 singles from the album were released officially before the band split in 1999.
First TV Show
As a child artist, Sophie was a part of the TV series directed by her father, That’s Life in 1983 aired on BBC1.
As a teenager, she played the character of Rosie Jarrett in 3 episodes of a 6 part mini-series, Frontiers in 1996.
- Sophie seems to be genetically blessed. Despite having 4 kids out of which the first two were delivered prematurely through a C-section, she managed to get back into the same body shape, she had at the age of 16-17 years.
- It appears she has to make a lot less effort than most women to stay fit.
- Her exercise regime is limited to 2-3 personal training sessions per week at her local gym.
- However, to add to that, she also walks her kids to school, is very hands-on and active at home, stomps about the stage for hours during a live performance, and claims to dance tirelessly for a long time during her social outing with her husband and friends at a London nightclub/lounge.
- Sophie lives by her mother’s advice to never attempt restricted eating or diet. Although she loves to eat all the forbidden foods such as chips, mayonnaise, cheese, and chocolate, she often makes healthier choices by cooking her own meals.
- Back in 2011, she revealed an unconventional eating pattern of 3 snack-type small meals a day concluded with a heavy meal at night. Her sample meal plan was as follows:
- 6:30 am – A cup of white tea (two sugar cubes) with a marmite toast, a peanut butter toast, and a handful of almonds.
- 12:30 pm – A heavy sandwich with ingredients like chorizo, chicken, and avocado along with some more almonds or boiled eggs.
- 4:00 pm – A self-indulgent treat such as a Dairy milk bar with a cup of builder’s tea.
- 8:30 pm – Supper (Heaviest meal of the day such as chicken and couscous tajine or fish steaks with vegetables and couscous/potatoes with some red wine)
Sophie Ellis-Bextor Favorite Things
- Meal – Fish and Chips
- Guilty Pleasure – Chocolate (eats a little every day)
- Beauty Product – Sunscreen with SPF 50
- Make-Up Brand – MAC
- Clothing preferences – Primarily vintage and high street outfits with occasional designer pieces
- Dressing Style – Feminine silhouettes in bold colors and prints
- Clothing Brands – Top Shop, Zara, Urban Outfitters, Warehouse
- Style Icon – PJ Harvey, Bjork, David Bowie, Prince, Julie Andrews
- Handbag Brand – Cambridge Satchel Company
- Perfume – Agent Provocateur, Jo Malone Red Roses, Paul Smith for Women, Envy by Gucci
- Beverage – Tea
- Condiment – Ketchup
- Children’s Show – Thundercats (cartoon)
- Cuisine – Italian, French, Japanese
- Designers – PPQ, Chanel, Paul & Joe, Dolce & Gabbana
- Films – Mary Poppins (1964), The Sound of Music (1965), Grease (1978)
- Actors – Billy Bob Thornton, Robert De Niro
- Actress – Kate Winslet, Pamela Anderson
- Musician – Elvis Costello
- Cookbook Author – Nigel Slater
- Restaurant – The bar on the beach at Santa Maria di Castellabate in Southern Italy
- City – London
- Season – Spring
- Drink – Caipiroska
Sophie Ellis-Bextor Facts
- At the age of 4, Sophie was devastated by her parents’ divorce. Both of them remarried and have successful second marriages which worked out well for Sophie as she now believes she had two sets of families to grow up in.
- She loved collecting stamps as a child.
- When Sophie was 6-7 years old, she saw her mother get a hummingbird tattoo. She decided she will grow up to have a tattoo of her own once she figures out what it should be.
- Right before getting married to her husband, Richard, she got a red heart tattooed on her upper arm with ‘Family’ written through it.
- Her hobbies are shopping, cooking, reading, and playing video games.
- While she was a teenager, boys rarely found Sophie attractive. She was nicknamed Rhombus face in her school – a widely made statement that Sophie claims is untrue. Once she saw fame with the single Groovejet (2000), several comedians and celebrities also made fun of her face.
- Her first job was washing people’s hair at a hairdressing salon.
- Much to the singer’s annoyance, she is frequently pitched as a rival of Victoria Beckham.
- The first boy Sophie ever fancied as a child was Henry Thomas who played Elliot in ET (1982). She thinks her husband bears a strong resemblance to her childhood crush, disclosing that boyish men who have upturned noses with freckles are her type.
- As a teenager, Noel Gallagher was her first celebrity crush.
- Sophie does not like wearing trousers and only wears dresses or skirts.
- Sophie is addicted to shopping on eBay and has bought quite a few items for her garden and house online such as a choo-choo train, a giant ice-cream cone, and vintage street signs.
- A limited-edition Japanese Blythe doll is her most prized possession which was her first gift to herself after she signed her first record contract.
- She is a very messy, disorganized person and leaves her shoes lying about all over her house.
- Often, when she does not want to be recognized and when someone identifies her in public, she starts talking in French to convey the impression that the person is mistaken.
- She was a part of PETA’s anti-fur campaign in 2002.
- Sophie also supports a range of causes in favor of the environment and children in need.
- Very few people know that she often eats inedible things: eats a wrapper with the sweet, the paper container with the cupcake, and the core of the apple along with the rest of the fruit.
- Sophie developed a fear of door hinges after she saw one of her schoolmates get her hand caught in one of them that gave her two broken fingers and several nasty cuts.
- She says that her pale skin is her best physical feature and her hands are the worst feature because her fingers are not as long and elegant as she would have liked them to be.
- In 2008, she was seen in the musical The Town That Boars Me.
- Her 6th studio album Familia was released on September 2, 2016, and the album received critical acclaim. It peaked at number #3 on the UK Independent Albums (OCC) chart, at number #10 on the Russian Albums Chart, and at number #12 on the UK Albums (OCC) chart as well as the Scottish Albums (OCC) chart.