|Taio Cruz Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 10.5 in|
|Date of Birth||April 23, 1980|
Taio Cruz is a British music producer, songwriter, singer, and entrepreneur who earned global popularity with breakout singles Break Your Heart and Dynamite from his second studio album. Other successful collaborations include Higher featuring Kylie Minogue, Hangover featuring Flo Rida, Little Bad Girl with David Guetta, and Dirty Picture featuring Kesha. Fans frequently complain about Taio’s departure from Pop-R&B Genre towards Electronic music and often reminisce about his first solo studio album on social media praising it as his best work. He has a huge social media fan base with more than 1 million followers on YouTube and more than 2 million followers on Twitter.
Adetayo Ayowale Onile-Ere
Taio (Pronounced Tie – O), Jacob Milan Taio Cruz, T. Onile-Ere
He was born on April 23, 1980.
However, Taio’s official website claims his year of birth to be 1985.
London, England, United Kingdom
- South West London, England, United Kingdom
- He frequently travels to Los Angeles in the USA and owns a home in Beverly Hills, California, USA.
He studied in Bilton Grange Preparatory School in Dunchurch village near Rugby, Warwickshire before moving to Battle Abbey in Sussex followed by Christ’s Hospital boarding school in West Sussex, England.
Taio studied entertainment law in college before breaking into the music business.
Singer, Songwriter, Music Producer, Graphic Designer, Fashion Designer, Entrepreneur
- Father – Honey Onile-Ere (Corporate Lawyer, Legal and Business Affairs Consultant, Import / Export Business Owner)
- Mother – Vera Cruz (Former Owner of a Hairdressing Company)
- Siblings – Nathan Cruz (Older Brother)
Taio is represented by –
- Lateral Management
- 360 Media Touring
- Contraband Entertainment and Events
- Web Sheriff, London, United Kingdom
R&B, Hip Hop, Pop, Dance
Lead & Backing Vocals, Piano, Guitar, Bass, Trombone, Drums
- Island Records
- Republic Records
- Mercury Records
- Warner Brothers Records
- Universal Music Group
5 ft 10.5 in or 179 cm
84 kg or 185 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
The singer keeps his dating life private and frequently describes himself as a one-woman guy who prefers to remain a homebody. He had a public relationship with only one woman while the media speculated the possibility of a brief relationship with Cheryl.
- Roxanne Horner aka Roxy (2009–2011, 2013) – Taio started dating British fashion model Roxy since she was in her late teens. They were first publicly seen together in 2009 and broke up in 2011. The paparazzi started speculating a possible reconciliation when the couple was clicked heading out on a dinner date in 2013. The model also dated TOWIE star Joey Essex in 2013 and Hollywood actor Leonardo DiCaprio in 2016.
- Cheryl Ann Tweedy (2011) – Taio was featured in one of the songs of singer Cheryl’s album in 2009 and the two artists collaborated again in 2011. During the 2nd collaboration, Cheryl had recently divorced her footballer husband, Ashley Cole ending her marriage of 4 years. Heat magazine reported a potential rebound relationship between Cheryl and Taio. However, the artist told MTV that the rumors were not true although he would have liked it if Cheryl actually was his girlfriend. Taio gifted Cheryl a Black and Gold RXTR “R1” watch made by his company and clicked a picture to promote the brand on his official Twitter account which was responsible for sparking dating rumors.
Race / Ethnicity
Multiracial (Black and Latino)
He has Nigerian ancestry on his father’s side and Brazilian ancestry on his mother’s side.
- Soft Countertenor voice
- Usually maintains cropped, buzz-cut hairstyle
- Likes wearing flashy sunglasses, watches, and belts (calls himself the “accessories king”)
- Loves wearing black clothes
- He often promotes his business ventures under the following brand names Taio Cruz London, Tourean Consultancy, Kewe Social Media Application, Quattro Volte Vodka.
- Other than his ventures, the artist confirmed former partnerships with brands like Universal Music Group, Guinness, Audi, Nivea, MINI, Harmon / Kardon, BMW, Coca-Cola, Vevo, Formula1, Johnnie Walker, and Samsung.
Best Known For
- His debut album named Departure (2008) which achieved certified ‘gold’ status in the United Kingdom. All the songs were written, arranged, and produced by Taio himself.
- Collaborating with many musical artists for his second album Rockstarr (2009) that featured Kesha, Luciana, Kylie Minogue, and rappers Ludacris and Tinchy Stryder
- His singles Dynamite and Break Your Heart that topped the US Billboard charts and earned Taio global popularity
He released his debut album titled Departure on March 17, 2008.
First TV Show
He made his first TV show appearance as a guest panelist on the British daytime talk show called The Wright Stuff in 2008.
Taio Cruz Favorite Things
- Accessory – Plain black Hermès belt with a silver ‘H’ on the buckle
- Work Of Art – Leonardo da Vinci’s ‘Vitruvian Man’
- Building – Apple Store in New York City
- Book – How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie
- Action Movie – Independence Day (1996)
- Celebrity Crush – Megan Fox
- Comedian – Jimmy Carr
- Bands – Take That, Coldplay
Taio Cruz Facts
- Before pursuing music as a profession, Taio aspired to follow in his father’s footsteps and become a lawyer.
- As a child, he describes himself as shy and introvert. Since his father was frequently away on business, he spent most of his early years in the company of women that included his mother and her sisters. Overwhelmed by their presence, he usually spent time alone in his room.
- He started writing songs and began to learn how to use digital production software while still in school at the age of 12.
- Taio landed his first publishing deal with Def Jam Recordings in his late teens. A talent scout from the record label overheard Taio’s demo tape playing in the background when he called up his girlfriend who also happened to be Taio’s friend and was listening to his music at that fated moment.
- With the help of the Def Jam representative, Taio flew to Atlanta, Georgia, USA to start his career as a songwriter working for Tricky Stewart, owner of RedZone Entertainment.
- His first taste of recognition came in 2005 when he won the BRIT award for co-writing Will Young’s single Your Game released in 2004.
- Taio narrowly missed recording the global hit single Umbrella in 2006. The song was first rejected by Britney Spears after which Taio recorded a demo version. However, his boss Tricky Stewart played it for Jay-Z who immediately booked that song for Rihanna.
- In 2009, Taio started selling sunglasses under the Rokstarr brand and later renamed the label as RXTR to include watches and a clothing line. In 2015, he discontinued that business to concentrate on other ventures.
- The singer has written songs for acclaimed musical artists such as Nitin Sawhney, Tinchy Stryder, McFly, Nightcrawlers, David Guetta, Jennifer Lopez, The Wanted, Cheryl, Cody Simpson, Keshia Chanté, Nick Jonas, and Olly Murs.
- Moving On was Taio’s second single, and till date, he regrets wearing the colorful clothes his stylist picked for him to wear in the music video because they misrepresented his actual personality.
- The songwriter-singer loves shopping and frequently visits the Selfridges department store in London.
- He cried while watching the end of The Pursuit of Happyness (2006) starring Will Smith.
- Taio performed at the closing ceremony of the 2012 Summer Olympic Games, held in London.
- His social media application Kewe (Pronounced Kiwi) combines the offerings of Instagram, Snapchat, Spotify, and SoundCloud for greater ease of content creation and monetization.
- Despite a career in the entertainment industry, Taio dislikes filming himself and does not enjoy staying in the spotlight. He has a natural inclination towards working behind the scenes on a creative or entrepreneurial project.
- Few people know that Taio is also a competent graphic designer and editor.
- To find out more about the artist visit his official website @ taiocruz.com.
- Follow him on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, and Kewe.
Featured Image by Eva Rinaldi / Flickr / CC BY-SA 2.0