|Tarja Turunen Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 5 in|
|Date of Birth||August 17, 1977|
Tarja Turunen is a Finnish singer and songwriter who has sold more than 100k certified records in her solo career making her the best-selling female artist in Finland and among the ‘Top 50’ best-selling female soloists in the world. A professional classical lied singer, she had started her career as the lead vocalist of the Finnish symphonic metal band Nightwish, which she had co-founded in 1996. With the band, she had released the albums Angels Fall First (1997), Oceanborn (1998), Wishmaster (2000), Century Child (2002), and Once (2004). She was removed from the band in October 2005 and had embarked on a solo career in 2006, recording the solo studio albums Henkäys ikuisuudesta (2006), My Winter Storm (2007), What Lies Beneath (2010), Colours in the Dark (2013), Ave Maria – En Plein Air (2015), The Shadow Self (2016), From Spirits and Ghosts (2017), and In the Raw (2019).
Tarja Soile Susanna Turunen
Taape, The Voice of Finland
Puhos, Kitee, North Karelia, Eastern Finland, Finland
Estepona, Costa del Sol, Málaga, Andalusia, Spain
Tarja had joined the Senior Secondary School of Art and Music in Savonlinna, Finland, in 1993. At the age of 18, she had started studied singing at the Sibelius Academy, a part of the University of the Arts Helsinki, a university-level music school in Kuopio, Finland.
She had later joined the Hochschule für Musik Karlsruhe, a music college in Karlsruhe, Germany, and had completed her education there in 2002.
- Father – Teuvo Turunen (Former Carpenter)
- Mother – Ritva Sisko Marjatta Turunen (née Hakkarainen) (Former Civil Administrator)
- Siblings – Timo Turunen (Older Brother), Toni Turunen (Younger Brother) (Singer)
- Others – Tauno Armas Hakkarainen (Maternal Grandfather), Vieno Inkeri Nousiainen (Maternal Grandmother)
She is represented by her husband Marcelo Cabuli, Manager and Booking Agent, NEMS Enterprises S.R.L., Estepona, Costa del Sol, Málaga, Andalusia, Spain.
Symphonic Metal, Gothic Metal, Power Metal
Vocals, Piano, Synthesizer
- Universal Music Group
- Vertigo Records
- Spinefarm Records
- NEMS Enterprises
- The End Records
- Nuclear Blast
5 ft 5 in or 165 cm
57 kg or 125.5 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Tarja has dated –
- Marcelo Cabuli (2000-Present) – Tarja had started dating the founder and CEO of the metal Latin-American record label NEMS Enterprises S.R.L., an Argentine businessman named Marcelo Cabuli, in 2000. The couple got married, in a secret ceremony, on December 31, 2002, and have a daughter together named Naomi Eerika Alexia Cabuli Turunen (b. 2012).
Race / Ethnicity
She is of Finnish and Karelian descent.
- Slender frame
- Center-parted, long, straight hair
- Radiant face
- Charming smile
- Soprano voice
Tarja Turunen Favorite Things
- Film Director – Ridley Scott
- Actor – Russell Crowe
- Film Soundtrack – Gladiator (2000)
- Author – Mika Toimi Waltari
- Song – Von ewiger Liebe (1857) by Johannes Brahms
Source – IMDb
Tarja Turunen Facts
- Her first name, Tarja, is pronounced as ‘Tar-e-ah’ with the ‘R’ rolled.
- A child prodigy, her musical talent was first noted when she had performed in the Kitee church hall when she was 3 years old. She had later joined the church choir and started taking vocal lessons. She had started playing the piano by the age of 6.
- Tarja used to be bullied at school as other girls her age were envious of her vocal talents due to which her school music teacher was forced to organize projects for her outside of school. At the age of 15, she had performed as a soloist at a church concert in front of a thousand people. She had started getting trained in classical music from the age of 17.
- A polyglot, she is fluent in English, Finnish, German, and Spanish.
- In 2016, to commemorate the Day of the Finnish Identity which is celebrated every year on May 12, Finland had published a set of official emojis to celebrate Finnish culture and history. Tarja’s image was featured in the celebration with an emoji called ‘The Voice’.
Featured Image by Tarja Turunen / Instagram