|Thalía Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 5 in|
|Date of Birth||August 26, 1971|
|Spouse||Thomas Daniel Mottola|
Thalía is a singer-songwriter and actress from Mexico. She is fluent in languages like Spanish, Tagalog, English, French, and Portuguese and has released many songs in these. Because of her popularity and influence among a large set of audience, she is also called as “Queen of Latin Pop”. Thalia also received a star on Hollywood Walk of Fame in December 2013 due to her contribution towards singing and acting.
Ariadna Thalía Sodi Miranda
Reina, Lady T, Thalía
Mexico City, Mexico
- New York City
- Greenwich, Connecticut, USA
- Formerly owned a residential property with her husband, Tommy in Florida
- Frequently switches residences due to her husband, Tommy’s love for flipping houses and buying / selling real estate.
- Mexico City, Mexico
Thalia studied at a private French school called Liceo Franco Mexicano A.C. or the Lycée Franco-Mexicain in Mexico City where she learned to speak French fluently at a very early age.
She also started taking piano and ballet classes at the Conservatorio Nacional de Música located in Mexico City at the age of 4.
Singer, Songwriter, Actress, Fashion Designer, Radio Show host (2007–2016), Author, Entrepreneur
- Father – Ernesto Sodi Pallares (Scientist, Doctor of Pathology, Criminologist, Writer) (Died 1977)
- Mother – Yolanda Miranda Mange (Painter, Thalía’s manager from 1980-1999) (Died 2011)
- Siblings –
- Laura Guadalupe Zapata Miranda aka Laura Zapata (Older Half-sister from mother’s first marriage) (Singer, Actress, Dancer)
- Federica Sodi Miranda (Older Sister) (Famous Archaeologist in Mexico, Author)
- Gabriela Sodi Miranda aka Gaby (Older Sister) (Painter, Art Historian)
- Ernestina Sodi (Older Sister) (Author & Editor)
- Others –
- Michael Paul Mottola (Stepson, Tommy’s son from first marriage) (Works in Television Development at Pilgrim Studios)
- Sarah Mottola (Stepdaughter, Tommy’s daughter from first marriage)
- Demetrio Pedro Sodi Guergué (Paternal Grandfather) (Lawyer)
- Carmen Pallares del Portillo (Paternal Grandmother)
- Eva Mange Márquez (Maternal Grandmother)
- Camila Sodi (Niece, Ernestina’s Daughter) (Mexican Singer)
- Marina Sodi (Niece, Ernestina’s Daughter)
- Giovanni Sodi (Nephew, Ernestina’s Son) (Actor)
- Tessa La & Naian Norvind (They are not related to Thalía by blood. But they are Camila Sodi’s half-sisters, who are actresses and the daughters of Ernestina’s ex-husband, Fernando Gonzalez with second wife, Mexican actress Nailea Norvind)
- Patricio Sodi Zapata (Nephew, Laura’s son)
- Claudio Sodi Zapta (Nephew, Laura’s son)
She is represented by –
- William Morris Endeavor (WME) Entertainment Agency
- Ken Sunshine Consultants (Publicist)
Latin Pop, Pop Rock, Dance
Fonovisa, EMI Latin, Virgin, Televisa EMI, Sony Latin, Sony BMG
5 ft 5 in or 165 cm
56 kg or 123.5 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Thalia has dated –
- Benny Ibarra de Llano (1985) – The Mexican singer, musician, producer, and actor met Thalía through the Mexican pop music group Timbiriche. Benny was the original member of that group which successfully transitioned from a children’s music group to a more commercial pop group of young adults. Benny and Thalía possibly came across each other when Benny was considering quitting the group for higher education while Thalía officially joined Timbiriche as a new member in 1986. Thalía was discovered by Benny’s mother, Julissa. The couple dated for two months and broke up after Benny left to study in Boston, USA.
- Diego Schoening – Diego is another former member of Timbiriche who stayed with the group from the time it was formed in 1981 until it was disbanded in 1994. Mexican reporters often speculated about Thalía’s relationship with Diego. The singer shared that he was a dear friend of hers and she enjoyed performing and recording songs with him.
- Erik Rubin – Mexican media reported that Thalía dated another Timbiriche group member, Erik for a brief time.
- Emilio Azcarraga Jean – She possibly dated the billionaire CEO of Televisa, a Mexican mass media company at some point in her career, although it cannot be confirmed for sure.
- Alfredo Diaz Ordaz (1989–1991) – Thalía was in a serious relationship with music producer, Alfredo who was the youngest child of former President of Mexico, Gustavo Díaz Ordaz Bolaños. Alfredo was 20 years older than Thalía and the creative leader behind putting together her first and second solo album in 1989. He got increasingly uncomfortable with Thalía’s growing fame and popularity in show business and did not want to let go of the intimate bond he had developed with the singer while co-creating music. Alfredo proposed marriage in the hope of winning Thalía’s companionship exclusively for himself, but Thalía refused since she wanted to invest more time and energy in her career. He died in 1993 of Hepatitis C. The singer was shocked by his departure from life and publicly mourned his death.
- Alejandro Ibarra – Mexican tabloids reported that Thalía also dated Benny Ibarra’s younger brother, Mexican actor, Alejandro at some point in her career who was two years younger than her.
- Rodrigo Vidal (1994) – The singer was also speculated to date Mexican producer and actor, Rodrigo. Though neither of the two celebrities publicly confirmed their relationship.
- Mario Vazquez – Thalía possibly had a fling with Puerto-Rican American singer, Mario Vazquez who participated in the 4th season of American Idol but dropped out at the last minute even though he was selected to compete as one of the top 12 singers.
- Jaime Camil (1990s) – Mexican–American actor & singer, Jaime confirmed he had an on again, off again relationship with Thalía somewhere between 1994 and 1997. Although their relationship did not last, being with Thalía, inspired Jamie to pursue a career in the entertainment industry with absolute determination despite the odds stacked up against him.
- Fernando Colunga (1994–1996) – Mexican actor and Thalía co-starred in several acting projects and inevitably started dating. They were together for a year and a half before their relationship fizzled out. They parted ways on amicable terms.
- Thomas Daniel Mottola aka Tommy (1999–Present) – Tommy is a former talent manager turned famous American music executive who is the co-owner of Casablanca Records. He was the head of Sony Music Entertainment for nearly 15 years and mentored several musical artists to help them become the biggest names in the music industry throughout the 1980s to early 2000s. He was also married to Mariah Carey for 4 years. Thalía and Tommy were introduced to each other by Gloria Estefan’s husband, Emilio Estefan. He found their personalities so alike that he felt assured that Thalía and Tommy were bound to get along whenever they met. However, on the outside, the similarities were not that apparent. Tommy was twice divorced by that time and 22 years older than Thalía. Neither of the two was interested in meeting each other because they felt they did not have anything in common. While visiting New York City for one night, Thalía gave in and met Tommy for drinks. The couple confessed and fell in love on their very first date. They dated for a year and got married in a lavish wedding ceremony at St. Patrick’s Cathedral in New York City on December 2, 2000. Together, the couple has a daughter named Sabrina Sakaë Mottola (b. October 2007) and a son named Matthew Alejandro Mottola (b. June 2011).
Race / Ethnicity
Apart from Mexican roots, Thalia has a connection to Italian ancestry through her paternal line. She also possibly has Spanish, Arab, and French ancestry.
Dark Brown (Natural)
Thalia often colors her hair light brown, dark blonde, and gets blonde highlights.
- Small, deep-set eyes with thick & arched eyebrows
- Smooth, flawless skin
- Thick lower lip
- Maintains a timeless, youthful appearance
- Thalía appeared in her first TV commercial in Mexico at the age of 1.
- She was cast in advertisements of Dr. Pepper (2001).
- Signed a deal with Kmart in 2002 to launch her clothing line, accessories and home products for women. The collection was released in the US market in 2003.
- Launched her eyewear collection in collaboration with Kenmark Optical (2003)
- Created a parallel line of eyewear for the Mexican market in association with Devlyn in 2005
- The face of fine jewelry brand Jacob & Co. (2004)
- Entered a contractual agreement with Hershey’s (2004) to release her own line of chocolates and candy called Dulceria Thalia
- Cast in advertisements of Victoria’s Secret (2005)
- Brand ambassador of Carol’s Daughter (2005) beauty products
- Launched a perfume after her name produced by Fuller Cosmetics (2007)
- Released a new line of jewels and accessories for online sale in collaboration with C&A retailers (2010)
- Brand ambassador for Head & Shoulders shampoo (2011)
- Signed a contract to promote ePura, a Mexican water company (2015)
- Entered into an exclusive deal with Macy’s for the company’s biggest private brand launch of apparel, shoes, and jewelry collectively named the Thalía Sodi collection in 2015.
- She bagged an endorsement deal for a skincare line created by Genomma Lab International which was later CANCELLED because the singer got pregnant and the company stated her pregnancy violated the terms of the agreement.
She started studying Kabbalah seriously in 2002.
Best Known For
- Working as a lead in 7 Mexican telenovelas which were dubbed in several languages and had a collective audience of a billion people across 180 countries throughout the 1990s.
- Internationally referred to as the Queen of Latin Pop for her contribution to the Latin music industry for nearly four decades which includes the release of 13 solo studio albums released from 1990 to 2016.
- Her achievements as a musical artist were recognized by Hollywood through a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in 2013.
As a Singer
At the age of 9, Thalía became one of the vocalists in a children’s group called Pac-Man later renamed Din-din which recorded 4 studio albums from 1982 to 1983. The first album was called En acción.
As a member of the Mexican musical group Timbiriche, Thalía’s first studio album was the group’s 7th album named Timbiriche VII released in March 1987. Thalía sang in 3 of the 11 tracks in that album.
Her solo debut was announced through an eponymously titled studio album, Thalía (1990).
In March 2014, she released her first children’s album called VIVA KIDS VOL. 1
Thalia first had an uncredited role in La Guerra de los Pasteles (War of the Pastries – 1979).
She made her English feature film debut in the lead role of Nydia in Mambo Café (2000) released in Mexico, Greece, and Russia.
First TV Show
Thalia was featured as herself at the age of 11 in the televised annual Mexican music festival called Jugemos a cantar / We Play to Sing (1982).
Very few people know that her television debut as an actress was marked by 1 episode appearance in Pobre señorita Limantour (1987).
Her first telenovela role as a principal character was that of Beatriz Villanueva Contreras in 100 episodes of Quinceañera in 1987.
- As an artist and a performer, the singer turned actress has successfully managed the pressure to look good and stay fit since her teens.
- She credits her active s*x life as one of the major reasons behind her youthful appearance. Thalía shared that sexologist Nancy Alvarez offered valuable insight that helped her maintain a fulfilling intimate life with her husband, Tommy.
- In 2008, she was diagnosed with Lyme disease caused by ticks which turned out to be an extremely uncomfortable and painful experience for her.
- Thereafter, Thalía became particularly interested in maintaining holistic health that ensured a positive balance between mind, body, and soul.
- Her motivation behind eating healthy meals most days of the week is to ascertain quality, deep sleep at night.
- She practices meditation and breathing exercises daily to maintain a positive state of mind and consciously seeks out the company of people who make her laugh.
- Since many years, Thalía is a sincere practitioner of Sivananda Yoga that also put her in the habit of stretching out any tension in her body several times a day.
- On extremely busy days, the singer performs sun salutations, breathing exercises, headstands, and backbends concluded with relaxation exercises.
- She switches the intensity of her exercise routine according to her energy level and how strong she feels. When particularly exhausted, Thalía performs stretches to see if her body feels energized enough to go further into a workout.
- When she feels stronger, she takes up resistance training in circuits for strength and enjoys treadmill intervals to make her cardio workout more enjoyable.
- Thalía prefers high volume weight training. She has a home gym but visits a nearby commercial gym in case she has more time on her hands. In 2015, she used to train at Equinox in NYC under the supervision of personal trainer Nick Cerone.
- In 2016, Thalía developed a serious interest in Pilates and has been practicing it with dedication ever since. She frequently shares her workouts on Instagram performed on the Pilates reformer and the Trapeze table.
Her diet on a typical day goes as follows:
- Breakfast – Whole grain toast, eggs, tomatoes cooked in olive oil, coffee, and green juice
- Lunch – Salad with grilled chicken
- Dinner – A protein item, grilled vegetables, and wild rice
Since Thalía eats extremely healthy most of the time, she treats herself with a self-indulgent binge once in a while that comprises of the following foods:
- Breakfast – Waffles with maple syrup, bacon, eggs and orange juice
- Lunch – A heavy lunch of pasta cooked in the creamy sauce
- Dinner – A large steak with mashed potatoes
Thalía Sodi Favorite Things
- Color Combination – Purple and Green
- Healthy Snacks – A handful of almonds / nuts, a small banana, a piece of cheese with grapes / berries, protein smoothie, kefir with salt / cottage cheese.
- Era Of Music – 1980s
- Bands – Duran Duran, Mr. Mister, Aerosmith
- Foreign Cuisine – Italian
- Face Cleansers – La Roche-Posay Toleriane Dermo-Cleanser, Neutrogena Ultra Gentle Daily Cleanser
- Latin Singers – Gloria Estefan, Ricky Martin, Juanes, Enrique Iglesias, Shakira, Robi Draco Rosa, Miguel Bosé, Gloria Trevi, Marc Anthony
- Mexican Dish – Chicken Mole
- Form Of Cardio – Kickboxing, Dancing to Reggaeton or Mambo music
- NYC Restaurants – Los Tacos No.1, La Esquina
- Holiday Destination – Paris, France
- Restaurant (in Paris) – Le Grand Véfour
- Female Role Model – Nadia Elena Comăneci (Gymnast)
- Female Celebrities – Madonna, Marilyn Monroe
- Musical Influences – Gloria Estefan, Celine Dion, Sade, Billie Holiday, Frank Sinatra, The Doors, and Kylie Minogue
Source – Twitter, Pop Sugar, Houston Chronicle, The New Potato, Wikipedia
Thalía Sodi Facts
- Her father expired when she was 6 years old that traumatized her to the point of losing her voice for a year.
- She became a US citizen in 2006.
- Thalía was diagnosed with Heller’s syndrome (part of the Autism Spectrum Disorder) while she was still grieving for the loss of her father and underwent psychological therapy for many years to recover from it.
- She also claims to be a victim of bullying at school.
- Other than Spanish, Thalía recorded songs in English, Tagalog, French, and Portuguese during the course of her career.
- Thalía had a major interest in fashion since her early childhood because her main source of entertainment was dressing up her dolls. She loves experimenting with her appearance on the red carpet and likes extremely edgy outfits for her stage performances.
- The singer confessed she has suffered several miscarriages and regrets delaying motherhood for the sake of her career because she would have liked to become a mother to more than 2 kids.
- In the late 1990s, Thalía had such a feverish fan following in the Philippines that the government put aside a historic peace treaty and the centennial celebration of the Philippine revolution to welcome the singer to their country. Thousands of citizens took to the streets to see Thalía in the flesh.
- In September 2002, Thalía’s sisters Laura Zapata and Ernestina Sodi were kidnapped in Mexico City. However, they were released after a few days. Thalía’s personal life has been plagued by familial conflict and she does not get along with her maternal half-sisters at all.
- Since 2004, Thalía is the celebrity ambassador of the US-based non-profit organization called March of Dimes created to prevent premature birth, infant mortality, and birth defects.
- Her 11th studio album Habítame Siempre (2012) is deemed to be her most commercially successful work because it included collaborations with several high profile musical artists namely; Robbie Williams, Michael Bublé, Gilberto Santa Rosa, Prince Royce, Erik Rubin, Leonel Garcia, Samuel Parra and Jesús Navarro.
- In 1997, the local government in LA, California declared 25th April as Thalía’s National Day owing to her popularity in the Latino community residing in the United States.
- She was the first Latin celebrity to be invited by Louis Vuitton to get featured in their Rebonds Photography book in 1998.
- The singer has been named more than 8 times in People en Español’s annual list of most beautiful Latin celebrities and labeled as one of the top 25 powerful Latinas in 2011.
- She enjoys practicing archery.
- To find out more about the singer, visit her official page @ thaliajuntoati.com.
- Follow her on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, and YouTubeVEVO.
Featured Image by Thalía / Instagram