|Tim Burton Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 11 in|
|Date of Birth||August 25, 1958|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Tim Burton is a talented American film director, producer, artist, writer, and animator who is best known for films like Beetlejuice, Batman, Edward Scissorhands, Batman Returns, The Nightmare Before Christmas, Ed Wood, Planet of the Apes, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Frankenweenie, and Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. He is an alma mater of California Institute of the Arts. He has more than 6 million followers on Facebook.
Timothy Walter Burton
Burbank, California, United States
- Ojai, California, United States
- New York City, New York, United States
Tim Burton studied at the Providencia Elementary School in Burbank, California. He completed his schooling from Burbank High School, California. Later, Tim studied character animation at the California Institute of the Arts in Valencia, California.
Film Director, Producer, Artist, Writer, Animator
- Father – William Burton (Former Minor League Baseball Player and Worked at Burbank Parks and Recreation Department)
- Mother – Jean Burton (Owner of a Cat-Themed Gift Shop)
- Siblings – Daniel Burton (Younger Brother) (Artist)
- Others – Russell Clem Burton (Paternal Grandfather), Rosa/Rose Frances/Francis Gibbs (Paternal Grandmother), James Ransome Gibbs (Paternal Great Grandfather), Ray Clifford Erickson (Maternal Grandfather ), Alpha Jean Pollish (Maternal Grandmother)
Tim Burton is managed by –
- Tim Burton Productions, West Hollywood, California, United States
- Mike Simpson, Agent, William Morris Agency, Beverly Hills, California, United States
- Kristin Borella, Publicist, Bumble Ward & Associates, Beverly Hills, California, United States
- Melanie Cook, Attorney, Ziffren Brittenham Branca Fischer Gilbert-Lurie, Stiffman & Cook, Los Angeles, California, United States
- Bloom Hergott Deimer Rosenthall La Violette, Legal Representatives, Beverly Hills, California, United States
5 ft 11 in or 180.5 cm
76 kg or 167.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Tim Burton has dated –
- Lena Gieseke (1988-1991) – In 1988, Tim began a relationship with German visual effects professional Lena Gieseke. A year later on February 24, 1989, the couple tied the knot. However, their marriage was short-lived and they divorced on December 31, 1991.
- Lisa Marie Smith (1991–2001) – In 1991, Tim was involved with model Lisa Marie Smith. They got engaged in 1992 and started living together. The couple separated after a nasty lawsuit in 2001.
- Helena Bonham Carter (2001-2014) – In July 2001, Tim started dating English actress Helena Bonham Carter after meeting during the filming of Planet of the Apes (2001). The couple just dated for 3 months before getting engaged in October 2001. They have 2 children together Billy Raymond (b. October 4, 2003) and Nell Burton (b. December 15, 2007). They separated amicably in December 2014.
- Eva Green (2015) – In December 2015, Tim was rumored to be dating French-born actress Eva Green.
Race / Ethnicity
He has English, Scottish, German, remote Dutch and French on his father’s side and Norwegian, Swedish, Croatian ancestry on his mother’s side.
Salt and Pepper
- Rugged curly hair
- Tends to wear large, colored glasses
Tim Burton has appeared in the TV commercials for brands like Samsung Galaxy.
Best Known For
Many notable films like Beetlejuice (1988), Edward Scissorhands (1990), The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993), Ed Wood (1994), Sleepy Hollow (1999), Corpse Bride (2005), Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (2007), Dark Shadows (2012), Frankenweenie (2012), Batman (1989), Planet of the Apes (2001), Big Fish (2003), Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005), and Alice in Wonderland (2010)
In 1979, he made his theatrical debut in the adventure comedy film The Muppet Movie as Muppet Performer. However, he was uncredited for his role.
In 1992, he made his credited theatrical film debut in the comedy romantic drama film Singles as Brian.
First TV Show
In 1989, he made his first TV show appearance on the talk show Today.
Tim Burton Favorite Things
- Film Of His Own – Ed Wood (1994)
- Films – Dracula A.D. 1972 (1972), The Wicker Man (1973), The Golden Voyage of Sinbad (1973), The War of the Gargantuas (1966), The Omega Man (1971)
- Character From His Film – Jack Skellington from The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993)
Source – IMDb, Guff.com
Tim Burton Facts
- His family lived near Valhalla Cemetary in Burbank on Evergreen Street.
- While he was at the Burbank High School in California, he played water polo and took part in swimming.
- As a child, he fantasized about dressing up in a monster costume and wrecking Tokyo city, but after growing up, he decided to be an animator.
- He was an average student who enjoyed painting, drawing and watching movies.
- His childhood heroes were Dr. Seuss and Roald Dahl.
- His films often have a Gothic setup that includes either Christmas or Halloween scenes.
- Composer Danny Elfman often works in his films.
- Actors like Jeffrey Jones, Paul Reubens, Glenn Shadix, Michael Keaton, Lisa Marie, Johnny Depp, Helena Bonham Carter, Michael Gough, Deep Roy, and Christopher Lee are often cast in his films.
- Plots in his films often involve townspeople that misunderstand or distrust the lead character.
- He enjoys Bollywood films.
- He often carries a pocket-sized sketchbook and a small watercolor kit with him most times.
- Tim prefers dressing in black as he does not like spending time deciding upon a color combination to wear.
- Entertainment Weekly named him the 49th Greatest Director of all time on their list of 50.
- His cinematic influences include Mario Bava, Vincent Price, Roger Corman, and Barbara Steele.
- He is a fan of director Russ Meyer.
- He has made numerous films with Johnny Depp including Edward Scissorhands (1990), Ed Wood (1994), Sleepy Hollow (1999), Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005), Corpse Bride (2005), Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (2007), Alice in Wonderland (2010), and Dark Shadows (2012).
- In the 100th issue of Tropopkin, he was ranked #6 amongst the “Top 25 Most Intriguing People”.
- He is a fan of Italian director Mario Bava and has once stated his desire to remake Mario’s classic Black Sunday (1960) with his former partner, Lisa Marie.
- In 1997, he acted as one of the members of the ‘Official Competition’ jury at the 50th International Film Festival in Cannes.
- Johnny Depp was named the godfather of his son Billy Ray Burton.
- He wanted to cast Al Pacino in the future Batman installment as a villain after seeing his performance in Dick Tracy (1990).
- When Steven Spielberg considered him to direct Gremlins (1984), Tim refused as he had not directed a full-feature-length movie at that time.
- In 1988, his look-alike puppet show called Les Guignols de l’info in French was staged.
- Chimpanzees are his greatest fear.
- He was considered to direct X-Men film in 2000.
- In 2006, he was included as one of the members of the ‘Short Films and Cinéfondation Jury’ during the 59th International Film Festival in Cannes.
- In 2010, he acted as the President of the ‘Official Competition’ jury at the 63rd Cannes International Film Festival.
- Many of his films including Batman (1989), Sleepy Hollow (1999), Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (2007), and Alice in Wonderland (2010), have won an Academy Award for “Best Art Direction”.
- At the age of 31, he became the youngest person to direct the film Batman (1989).
- He hates cats.
- He is good friends with Joel Schumacher.
- There is a Tim Burton themed bar named Beetle House LA in Hollywood, California which was opened on May 20, 2017.
- He has worked as a producer for films including Alice Through the Looking Glass (2016), Big Eyes (2014), Frankenweenie (2012), Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (2012), 9 (2009), Corpse Bride (2005), Mars Attacks! (1996), Batman Forever (1995), Ed Wood (1994), and The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993), among others.
- His credit as a writer includes Frankenweenie (2012), Lost in Oz (2000), The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993), Edward Scissorhands (1990), Luau (1982), Vincent (1982), Doctor of Doom (1979), Stalk of the Celery Monster (1979), and many others.
- He has also worked as an animator for films like Luau (1982), TRON (1982), The Fox and the Hound (1981), Stalk of the Celery Monster (1979), and many more.
- He is known to wear pinstriped socks for good luck.
- Tim made his TV directorial debut with Netflix series about Wednesday Addams from The Addams Family.
Featured Image by Romain DUBOIS / Wikimedia / CC BY-SA 3.0