|Tommy Dorfman Quick Info
|5 ft 11 in
|Date of Birth
|May 13, 1992
Tommy Dorfman is an American actor and LGBTQ activist. She has been cast in roles like Ryan Shaver in the Netflix teen drama series 13 Reasons Why, Oscar in the romantic comedy series Love in the Time of Corona, Bobby in the romantic comedy-drama and satirical telenovela Jane the Virgin, Jonathan in the dark comedy-drama series Insatiable, Nick in the Lifetime comedy-drama series American Princess, Rob Jr. in i-Witness, and Justin in the teen comedy-drama series Love, Victor.
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
Brooklyn, New York City, New York, United States
After finishing high school, Tommy studied for a Bachelor’s degree in Theatre Performance at Fordham University, Lincoln Center in NYC.
Actor, LGBTQ Activist
- Siblings – She has 4 older siblings.
- Others – Andi Dorfman (Cousin), Arthur Ranger Curran (Maternal Grandfather), Celia Mae Galbreath (Maternal Grandmother)
Tommy Dorfman has been signed with –
- Anonymous Content, Talent Management Company, Culver City, California, United States
- Imprint PR, Public Relations Agency, Los Angeles, California, United States
5 ft 11 in or 180 cm
75 kg or 165 lbs
Boyfriend / Girlfriend / Spouse
Tommy Dorfman has dated –
- Peter Zurkuhlen (2013–2022) – Tommy met her Food & Tech entrepreneur husband at a friend’s housewarming party in 2012. She felt an instant magnetic connection with Peter the moment they started talking, and by the end of the evening, Tommy was sure of spending the rest of her life with Peter. The two got engaged in April 2015 and got married in a ceremony organized in Portland, Maine on November 12, 2016. They lived in an apartment in NYC. In February 2022, it was revealed that Tommy and Peter had separated and had filed for divorce after 5 years of marriage.
- In August 2022, during an appearance on Rachel Bilson‘s Broad Ideas podcast, Tommy revealed that she was engaged to a woman.
Race / Ethnicity
Tommy Dorfman is of Ashkenazi Jewish descent on her father’s side and has Irish, German, English, Swiss-German, and Welsh roots on her mother’s side.
Hazel (has tones of both green and brown)
In July 2021, Tommy came out as a trans-woman in a TIME magazine article.
- Sharp Jawline
- Small, sharp nose
9.5 (US) or 9 (UK) or 43.5 (EU)
Best Known For
Playing the self-confident and feisty Liberty High school student named Ryan Shaver in the drama-mystery 13 Reasons Why.
Tommy was seen in the short film Foreign Exchange as Jason in 2009.
First TV Show
In 2017, Tommy was first seen as a gay character named Ryan Shaver in 13 Reasons Why based on a novel of the same name by Jay Asher published in 2007.
- Tommy enjoys dance, hence prefers a dance-based exercise class to burn calories such as 305fitness in NYC.
- She usually trains at Equinox gym.
- In terms of diet, she is a self-proclaimed foodie. She occasionally cooks at home but also opts for healthy take-out meals from places like Chipotle.
- Tommy does not drink alcohol and prefers tea and cold-pressed juices.
Tommy Dorfman Favorite Things
- Coffee / Café – Octane
- Ramen Noodle Restaurant – Ton Ton Ramen, Ponce City Market, Atlanta
- Hometown Juicery – Arden’s Garden
- Juice – Grandslam (@Arden’s Garden): Lemon, Ginger, Cranberry, and Wheatgrass
- Hometown Shop – Sid Mashburn
- Amusement Park – Six Flags Over Georgia
- Amusement Park Ride – Superman
- Hometown Restaurant – Kimball House
- Hometown Place – Paris on Ponce (antique store, vintage retailer cum art gallery)
- Face Wash – Evan Healy
- Moisturizer – Elta MD with SPF
- Toner – The Little Barn Apothecary toner, Evan Healy (Rose & Chamomile Toner)
- Eye Cream – The Little Barn carrot seed eye cream roll
- Highlighter – Glossier Haloscope (Moonstone or Quartz)
- Exfoliator – YSL (twice a week)
Tommy Dorfman Facts
- Tommy earlier used they/them pronouns. In July 2021, Tommy came out as a trans woman and started using she/her pronouns.
- Tommy has said that her parents knew she was gay the moment Tommy was born and waved a jazz hand in the air.
- Tommy is the youngest of 5 siblings.
- She took classical ballet lessons in school and performed with the Atlanta Ballet company.
- Her current fashion-forward sensibility developed after years of emotional turmoil in school. Tommy preferred wearing female clothing in an attempt to look more like the Spice Girls. She got badly bullied for it and switched to wearing her older brother’s clothes even though she felt miserable.
- Once Tommy realized she was gay, she came out of the closet by updating her orientation on her Facebook page.
- At the age of 14, Tommy started dating much older guys in their 20s to get comfortable with their sexuality since there were no gay guys in her class.
- Tommy started abusing drugs in her late teens and early twenties and revealed that her husband-to-be was the only person who showed concern without judgment. 6 months after meeting Peter, she went to rehab and got sober.
- With the privilege of being a working gay actor, Tommy feels a sense of responsibility to support marginalized members of the LGBTQ community.
- With fellow actress Alisha Boe and executive producer Selena Gomez, Tommy got matching tattoos; a semi-colon on their wrist each. It stands for suicide prevention initiated by the non-profit organization, Project Semicolon which advocates mental health all over the globe.
- Tommy’s dream role is to play the first gay superhero or be a part of a gay romantic-comedy, preferably opposite Matt Bomer.
- In 2019, she was cast in the recurring role of Nick in the comedy-drama television series, American Princess.
- Tommy has also played the recurring role of Bobby, an associate of Sin Rostro, in Jane the Virgin. It is a loose adaptation of the Venezuelan telenovela Juana la Virgen created by Perla Farías.
- Alongside Ava Bellows, Gil Bellows, L. Scott Caldwell, Rya Kihlstedt, Leslie Odom Jr., Rainey Qualley, and Nicolette Robinson, Tommy co-starred as Oscar in the romantic comedy television miniseries, Love in the Time of Corona, which premiered on Freeform on August 22, 2020. Its title is a play on the title of the novel Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel García Márquez.
- Tommy made her Met Gala debut in May 2022, wearing a rubber Christopher Kane gown and Fred Leighton jewelry.
- Tommy’s salary for the entire first season of 13 Reasons Why was $29,953.24.
- In December 2023, Tommy accused Delta Air Lines employees of misgendering her at LaGuardia Airport in New York City. She claimed that the staff members misgendered her several times and one of the workers also did that intentionally.