|Viggo Mortensen Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 11 in|
|Date of Birth||October 20, 1958|
Viggo Peter Mortensen Jr.
Vig, Guido, Cuervo
New York City, New York, United States
Viggo started his early education at a primary school in Buenos Aires. He got his high school education from the Watertown High School in New York.
Vig then attended and graduated from the St. Lawrence University in Canton in 1980 with a bachelor’s degree in Spanish Studies and Politics.
Actor, author, musician, photographer
- Father – Viggo Peter Mortensen Sr. (Managed poultry farms and ranches)
- Mother – Grace Gamble Atkinson
- Siblings – Charles Mortensen (Younger Brother) (Geologist), Walter Mortensen (Younger Brother) (Geologist)
Viggo Mortensen is represented by Omni Artists.
5 ft 11 in or 180 cm
81 kg or 179 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Viggo Mortensen has dated –
- Exene Cervenka (1986-1997) – Viggo met actress and singer Exene Cervenka while working together on the comedy movie, Salvation! Shortly after, they started going out and around a year later, decided to get married in July 1987. In January 1988, Cervenka gave birth to a son, Henry Blake Mortensen. However, they decided to separate in 1992. Their divorce was finalized in 1997.
- Josie Bissett (1997) – In 1997, Viggo had a short-lived affair with actress Josie Bissett.
- Gwyneth Paltrow (1997) – Mortensen reportedly hooked up with actress Gwyneth Paltrow after having grown close during the shooting of the thriller movie, A Perfect Murder (1998).
- Donita Sparks (1998) – Viggo started going out with musician Donita Sparks after growing close while collaborating on Viggo’s 5th studio album, One Man’s Meat.
- Lola Schnabel (2004) – Mortensen was reported to be in a relationship with famed painter Julian Schnabel’s actress daughter Lola Schnabel in 2004.
- Christina Rosenvinge (2008) – Viggo was RUMORed to be going out with Spanish singer Christina Rosenvinge in 2008. They were pictured out and about in Madrid. The duo was accompanied by Christina’s sons Willen and Kay, who seemed to have a good time with Viggo at a public park.
- Ariadna Gil (2008-Present) – Mortensen started dating Spanish actress Ariadna Gil after having met on the sets of the novel-based film, Appaloosa (2008). He was so deeply in love with her that he decided to move his base to Madrid to spend more time with his Spanish love.
Race / Ethnicity
Viggo is of Canadian-American descent on his mother’s side, whereas, has Danish ancestry on the father’s side.
- Cleft chin
- Green eyes
Viggo has appeared in a Nissan car commercial and has endorsed Perceval Press (his own publishing company).
Best Known For
- Being cast in the role of Aragorn in the high fantasy adventure film trilogy, The Lord of the Rings.
- Playing the lead role in the critically acclaimed gangster drama movie, Eastern Promises (2007).
Viggo released his first studio album Don’t Tell Me What to Do in 1994.
Viggo first appeared in the crime thriller film Witness in 1985 in the role of Moses Hochleitner.
First TV Show
Mortensen first appeared in the romantic drama series Search For Tomorrow in 1985 as Bragg.
Viggo Mortensen likes to maintain an active lifestyle in a bid to keep his body fit and athletic. While at home, he likes to play basketball and soccer. He is also fond of going out for a walk in his free time. He believes that not only it gives your body a low-impact cardiovascular workout but, also stimulates your mind as well.
Plus, being an avid outdoorsman, he likes to go out for hiking.
In terms of diet, he doesn’t follow any fad diets and just focuses on consuming natural and organic food items.
Viggo Mortensen Favorite Things
- MLB Team – New York Mets
- Ice Hockey Team – Montreal Canadiens
- Guiltiest Pleasure – Sleeping
- Soccer Club Team – San Lorenzo (Argentine Soccer Club), Fulham FC (English Soccer Club), Besiktas (Turkish Soccer Club)
- Soccer Players – Diego Maradona, Héctor “Bambino” Veira
Viggo Mortensen Facts
- Viggo has dual citizenship of America and Denmark.
- After completing his studies at St. Lawrence University in 1980, he moved to Denmark to live with the woman he loved. During those days, he supported himself by working at a factory and later as a truck driver.
- Mortensen is multilingual and can fluently converse in at least 6 languages, viz., Spanish, Danish, English, French, Swedish and Norwegian.
- He loves horse riding and after completion of the shooting for the Lord of the Rings trilogy, he purchased all the horses he rode in the movie.
- During the 1980 Winter Olympics held in Lake Placid, he worked in the role of translator for the Swedish ice hockey team.
- When he was first offered a role in Lord of the Rings, he turned it down. He accepted the role only after being convinced by his son, who was a fan of the fantasy trilogy book series.
- He made a couple of suggestions for his role in Lord of the Rings, including asking for more elvish dialogues for his character as well as more saddle time in the movie.
- In 2007, the Empire magazine placed him on the 69th spot in the “100 Sexiest Movie Stars in the World” list.
- He only got the role of Sigmund Freud in the 2011 release, A Dangerous Mind after the original pick Christoph Waltz decided to leave the project.
- The painted murals shown in his movie A Perfect Murder (1998) were painted by Mortensen himself.
- In April 2010, he was honored with the knighthood by Queen Margarethe II of Denmark in recognition of his contributions to the cinema.
- With the money earned from his work in The Lord of Rings, he established a publication house, Perceval Press to publish works of the struggling writers.
- He was offered the role of Wolverine in the X-Men franchise. However, he turned down the role and it was later played by Hugh Jackman.
- Viggo Mortensen is not on social media.