|Washington Sundar Quick Info|
|Date of Birth||October 5, 1999|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Washington Sundar is an Indian cricketer who is predominantly known for having the best bowling figure in an IPL final. On the other hand, he is also noted for his unique name “Washington” which he inherited from father’s godfather. The charming young man has also amassed a huge fan base on social media with more than 300k followers on Instagram and more than 50k followers on Twitter.
Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
Washington studied at St. Bede’s Anglo Indian Higher Secondary School. At the age of 13, he was training at the MRF Pace Academy.
- Father – M. Sundar
- Siblings – M.S. Shailaja (Sister) (Cricketer, Sports Anchor)
Washington is represented by Whiteleaf Talent Management.
6 ft or 183 cm
84 kg or 185 lbs
Race / Ethnicity
- Tall lean physique
- Brushes his hair backward
Washington Sundar Facts
- He was raised in Chennai.
- By the time Washington was 6 years old, he had already been batting and bowling in 3 different forms.
- Sundar inherited his love for cricket from his father who also played cricket and made it to the Tamil Nadu Ranji. However, he could not make it into the team.
- Washinton’s mother had a difficult delivery.
- Initially, his father was going to name him “Srinivasan.” However, M. Sundar named him “Washington” in memory of an ex-army officer who bought him a cricket kit and uniform during his younger days when he was quite poor.
- Washington started playing cricket professionally when he was 11 years old in the 2nd division league in Chennai.
- At the age of 17, he played for the Indian national under-19 cricket team and scored an incredible 50 runs and took 2 wickets.
- His style is often compared to that of cricketer Parveez Rasool.
- He is the 7th youngest cricketer to make it into the Indian national team at the age of 18.
- Sundar played his first-class debut match for Tamil Nadu at the “Ranji Trophy 2016-2017.”
- In 2017, cricketer Ravichandran Ashwin was replaced by Washington for the Rising Pune Supergiants.
- He was taken on by the Indian national team in October 2017 to play at the One Day International in place of cricketer Kedar Jadhav as he had suffered from an injured hamstring.
- Growing up, Sundar was mostly trained by his father and initially, he wanted to be a batsman. However, his father taught him to bowl off-spin, leg-spin, and medium-pace.
- During an interview with Firstpost, Washington stated that he credited cricketer Mahendra Singh Dhoni and Australian cricketer Steven Smith for having helped groomed his bowling technique while he played for the Rising Pune Supergiants.
- Though Sundar is a left-handed batsman, he bowls Right-arm off-spins.
- According to sources, at the 2018 IPL Auction, Washington was bought by the Royal Challengers Bangalore for a whopping INR 3.2 crore.
- He came into the limelight after his incredible performance at the Vijay Hazare Trophy.
- Washington was announced as one of the members of India’s C’s squad for the 2018–19 Deodhar Trophy.
- In 2021, after the India-Australia test series, he was gifted a Mahindra Thar car by the Mahindra & Mahindra group chairman, Anand Mahindra after he got impressed by Washington’s performance.
- In February 2022, during IPL 2022 mega auction, Sundar was purchased by Sunrisers Hyderabad for INR 8.75 crore.
Featured Image By Dee03 / Wikimedia / CC BY-SA 4.0