|Yogi Adityanath Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 4 in|
|Date of Birth||June 5, 1972|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Yogi Adityanath is an Indian politician and monk who gained nationwide media attention while serving as the 21st Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh (2017-Present). Along with being a member of the Bharatiya Janata Party, he is also a high priest and founder of the now-defunct Hindu nationalist organization, Hindu Yuva Vahini. His stance as a hardcore Hindutva nationalist and social conservative has earned him admiration as well as ire from his fellow countrymen.
Ajay Mohan Singh Bisht
Yogi Adityanath, Bulldozer Baba
Panchur, Pauri Garhwal District, Uttar Pradesh, India (present-day Uttarakhand)
Gorakhpur, Uttar Pradesh, India
He studied at the Hemwati Nandan Bahuguna Garhwal University in Uttarakhand and graduated with a bachelor’s degree in mathematics.
- Father – Anand Singh Bisht (Forest Ranger)
- Siblings – He has 3 brothers and 3 sisters.
5 ft 4 in or 162.5 cm
63 kg or 139 lbs
Race / Ethnicity
However, he shaves his head completely.
- He has a bald head.
- Short height
- Chin dimple
- Dresses in simple saffron-colored attire
- His incendiary speeches laced with anti-Muslim rhetoric
Yogi Adityanath Facts
- In September 2014, he rose to the rank of ‘Mahant’ or high priest of the Gorakhnath Math, a Hindu monastery in Gorakhpur, following the death of its previous high priest and his spiritual mentor, Mahant Avaidyanath on September 12, 2014.
- Yogi Adityanath praised the former US President Donald Trump‘s controversial 2017 ban which denied entry to citizens from 7 Muslim countries and suggested implementing a similar ban in India to tackle terrorism.
- His organization Hindu Yuva Vahini was notorious for implementing its policies by using strong-arm tactics and intimidation during its run from April 2002 until August 2022. Among the organization’s main agendas were cow protection, putting an end to Love Jihad, and performing ‘Ghar Wapsi’ drives to influence Hindus who had previously converted to other religions to ‘return’ back to Hinduism.
- Yogi Adityanath has been charged with criminal intimidation, causing riots using deadly weapons, defiling places of worship, murder attempts, and others.
- In 2020, he responded to the peaceful Shaheen Bagh protest led by Muslim women opposing the Citizenship Amendment Act (which was passed on December 11, 2019) by stating that, “If they won’t understand words, they’ll understand bullets”.
- Yogi Adityanath’s government passed the Prohibition of Unlawful Religious Conversion Ordinance, 2020 in order to end the religious conversion of Hindus mostly by Muslims in the name of love, which is also referred to as ‘Love Jihad’. The ordinance was signed into law by the state Governor Anandiben Patel on November 28, 2020.
- He is seen as a promising candidate for Prime Minister of India in the upcoming 2024 elections, according to analysts from the New York Times.
- Yogi Adityanath was ranked as the ‘Best-Performing Chief Minister in India’ in India Today‘s ‘Mood of the Nation’ survey held in August 2020.
Featured Image by BMN Network / Flickr / CC BY 2.0