|Amber Riley Quick Info
|5 ft 3 in
|Date of Birth
|February 15, 1986
Amber Riley is an American actress, singer, songwriter, stage artist, author, and activist who is best known for having been cast as Mercedes Jones on the Fox comedy-drama series Glee. This role won her the Screen Actors Guild Award for “Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series” while she was also nominated for other accolades including Teen Choice Award for “Choice TV: Female Scene Stealer” and NAACP Image Award for “Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series” and “Outstanding Actress in a Comedy Series”. Riley has also been a part of shows and movies like The Simpsons, Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, Let It Shine, A Black Lady Sketch Show, Dancing with the Stars, Infamous, and RuPaul‘s Drag Race.
Amber Patrice Riley
Los Angeles, California, United States
Amber completed her schooling at La Mirada High School in La Mirada, California in 2004.
Actress, Singer, Songwriter, Author, Activist, Stage Artist
- Father – Elwin Riley
- Mother – Tiny (née Hightower) Riley
In December 2012, Amber signed herself with Scooter Braun to manage her work.
Pop, Broadway, R&B, Gospel
RBMG, East West Records, Warner Music
5 ft 3 in or 160 cm
85 kg or 187 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Amber Riley has dated –
- Desean Black – Amber announced her engagement to Desean Black in November 2020. Desean is an entrepreneur and future doctor. Amber had met him via Instagram. In March 2022, during an episode of the Nice & Neat podcast, Amber revealed that they had separated and had ended their engagement.
Race / Ethnicity
She has African American ancestry.
Very large build
41-35-38 in or 104-89-96.5 cm
Amber has served as the spokesperson for Do Something and VH1 Save The Music Foundation’s second annual “Battle for the Bands”.
Best Known For
- Portraying Mercedes Jones on the teen musical comedy-drama TV series Glee
- She is also known for winning season 17 of Dancing with the Stars.
As a Singer
Amber is a part of the Glee soundtrack compilation albums, soundtracks, and others since 2009 (when the series started).
Amber debuted with the 2011 American 3-D concert film Glee: The 3D Concert Movie for her role as Mercedes Jones.
Though, she has appeared in a TV movie before this.
First TV Show
Riley first appeared in 2009 in Fox’s teen musical comedy-drama television series Glee as Mercedes Jones. From season 1 until season 4, she was a series regular.
Now, from season 5, she is a recurring guest star. She also won an award for her performance in this series in 2010.
In 2013, Amber had dropped a noticeable amount of weight. She stopped having burgers, and other fast food, which was having a negative impact on her health as well as weight.
Moreover, she was declared the winner of season 17 of Dancing with the Stars in late 2013. So, the win does not come easy. She did prepare for the contest a lot and as a result, in addition to winning the contest, she also lost a couple of pounds. So, a total win-win situation for her.
Amber Riley Facts
- She has a pet named Chewie.
- She also auditioned for American Idol, when she was 17 years old. But, she was not accepted to move to the next round at that time.
- She is the winner of Dancing with the Stars Season 17. Amber was partnered with choreographer Derek Hough. At that time, he was the only 5 time champion of this show.
- During her school time, her drama teacher was Mrs. Erin Strauss.
- Amber is also known for being a prankster in the Glee cast.
- Riley is obsessed with shoes.
- Amber received the highest average score in the “Dancing with the Stars” in season 17, compared to all the partners of Derek Hough in the history of the show.
- Alongside Tiffany Haddish, Tika Sumpter, Omari Hardwick, Mehcad Brooks, and Whoopi Goldberg, she co-starred as Kalli in the romantic comedy film, Nobody’s Fool, in 2018.
- Her stage credits include playing Dionne in Hair at Hollywood Bowl in 2014, Effie White in Dreamgirls at Savoy Theatre, West End from 2016 to 2017, and Audrey II in Little Shop of Horrors at Pasadena Playhouse in 2019.
- She gained much critical acclaim for her performance in Dreamgirls and won the Olivier Award for “Best Actress in a Musical”, Whatsonstage.com Award for “Best Actress in a Musical”, and Evening Standard Award for “Best Musical Performance”.
- On October 2, 2020, she self-released her extended play, RILEY.