|Bhaichung Bhutia Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 8 in|
|Date of Birth||December 15, 1976|
Bhaichung Bhutia is a former Indian professional footballer who is widely celebrated for helping raise the profile of Indian football on the international stage. He has played for clubs like Bury, Mohun Bagan, East Bengal, JCT, and the Indian national team.
Tinkitam, Sikkim, India
Former Professional Footballer
5 ft 8 in or 173 cm
75 kg or 165.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Bhaichung has dated –
- Madhuri Tipnis (1998-2015) – Bhutia tied the knot with his longterm girlfriend Madhuri Tipnis on December 30, 2004. The couple welcomed 3 children together – son Ugen Kalzang and 2 daughters named Keisha Dolkar Bhutia and Samara Dechen Bhutia. Sadly, they filed for divorce in 2015.
Race / Ethnicity
Tattoo of a football player on his arm
Bhaichung Bhutia Favorite Things
- Football Players – Diego Maradona, Lionel Messi
- Travel Destination – Sikkim
- Fictional Character – Howard Roark (from The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand)
Bhaichung Bhutia Facts
- In 1999, he made history as the first Indian footballer to get signed by a European club, in his case, Bury F.C.
- His name Bhaichung translates to ‘little brother’.
- His goal against Chesterfield on April 15, 2000, (while playing for Bury) made him the first player of Asian descent to score a goal in an English professional match.
- Bhaichung played alongside high-profile footballers like Zinedine Zidane, Fabio Cannavaro, and Michael Ballack during a charity match in 2008.
- He is the first Indian footballer credited with playing more than 100 international matches.
- He opened the Bhaichung Bhutia Football School in Delhi in 2010.
- Bhaichung scored the first ever hat-trick in a local derby match between arch-rivals, Mohun Bagan and East Bengal. The hat-trick helped his club East Bengal win the 1997 Federation Cup semi-final match with a 4–1 victory.
Featured Image by Bollywood Hungama / Wikimedia / CC BY 3.0