Bohemia, Raja, King of Punjabi Rap, Creator of Desi Hip Hop, King of Desi Hip Hop, Punjabi rap star
Karachi, Sindh, Pakistan
San Francisco, California, United States
Information about Bohemia’s formal education isn’t available.
Rapper, Record Producer, Music Director, Lyricist, Musician, Keyboardist, Poet
- Father – His father was employed by Pakistan International Airline.
- Mother – Unknown
- Siblings – Unknown
Bohemia’s management handles his representation work.
Rap, Desi hip-hop, Gangsta Rap, Hip-hop
- Universal Music Group
- Sony Music India
- Kali Denali Music
- Coke Studio Pakistan
5 ft 9 in or 175 cm
74 kg or 163 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Bohemia has dated –
- Sunny David – Bohemia is married to Sunny David. As he doesn’t speak much about his personal life while talking to media, the timeline of their relationship including their exact marriage date isn’t known. However, Sunny is very open about their relationship and often flaunts their love on her social media accounts. Her Instagram feed is littered with pictures of them together.
Race / Ethnicity
He is of Punjabi descent.
- Often wears a beanie
- French goatee
Bohemia hasn’t done endorsement work for any brand yet.
He was raised in a Christian household.
However, his religious views as an adult aren’t clearly known. He has claimed in one of his interviews that he has Guru Granth Sahib and Bible at his home.
Best Known For
- Being arguably the first mainstream Punjabi artist to achieve success as a rapper. He is known as the creator of the Desi hip-hop.
- Having collaborated with the leading music artists such as Snoop Dogg, Gippy Grewal, Mika Singh, Sean Kingston, Jasmine Sandlas, Bilal Saeed, and Guru Randhawa.
- The commercial success of his studio albums. His 5th studio album Skull & Bones: The Final Chapter was placed on the top of iTunes.
In 2002, he released his debut studio album, Vich Pardesan De.
He hasn’t been cast in any theatrical film till date.
First TV Show
In 2012, Bohemia made his first TV show appearance on the Pakistani music TV series, Coke Studio.
His workout routine and diet plan aren’t known.
Bohemia Favorite Things
- Early Influences – Mukesh, Lata Mangeshkar, Jagjit Singh, Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, and Kishore Kumar
- Music Artists – Nas, Master Saleem
Source – YouTube
- When he was 14 years old, he left Pakistan and moved to the United States.
- Out of all his nicknames, Raja is most close to his heart as his mother had coined that name. It is also used by his family members.
- Before he got into rapping, he was very much into writing. He started writing poetry at the age of 9 or 10.
- In his early teens, he used to feel that he was the reincarnation of the iconic Urdu poet Mirza Ghalib.
- When he was 16 years old, his mother passed away due to cancer. It was a huge blow for him and shortly after her death, he decided to leave his family house. His relationship with his father wasn’t particularly good at that time.
- He didn’t use to speak Punjabi while growing up or in his teens. Although he has Punjabi ancestry, he never spoke in Punjabi with his family as Urdu was mostly used in his household.
- He learned Punjabi on his own by listening to the Punjabi songs.
- He has claimed in his interviews that he wouldn’t have become a rapper if he hadn’t moved to California. Bohemia spent his early years in the US in San Francisco’s Mission District.
- He spent most of his childhood in Lahore and after that, he moved to Peshawar, where he lived for 7 years.
- He got his early music education from his father. In his early days in the US, he sometimes used to play keyboard at desi music events.
- At the age of 16, he was offered a well-paid job with a Sacramento-based music studio. He used to travel all over Canada and the United States with the music crew for live gigs. The music crew eventually fell apart as some of the members got entangled in drugs and Bohemia, who was still in his teens, decided to leave the crew.
- After leaving the crew, he moved to Oakland to live with a cousin. In Oakland, he briefly lost his focus in music as he got entangled in drugs, crime, and women.
- While in Oakland, he got in touch with the hip-hop producer Sha One, who had heard him recite something in Punjabi. Sha asked Bohemia to recite his lines over his music beats.
- Initially, he had started his music career as a record producer but after he couldn’t find someone good enough for his music, he decided to focus on performing as well.
- In 2015, he announced the launch of his record label, Kali Denali Music.
- Visit his official website @ thepunjabirapper.com.
- Follow him on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, and Google+.
Featured Image by Kuldeep Jalan / Wikimedia / CC BY-SA 4.0