|Daniel Elahi Galán Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 3 in|
|Date of Birth||June 18, 1996|
Daniel Elahi Galán is a Colombian professional tennis player who has established himself as the No. 1 Colombian tennis player.
Daniel Elahi Galán Riveros
Bucaramanga, Santander, Colombia
Professional Tennis Player
Daniel Elahi Galán has been repped by ATP Tour, Inc., Sports Association, Ponte Vedra Beach, Jacksonville, Florida, United States.
Right-handed (two-handed backhand)
6 ft 3 in or 190.5 cm
72 kg or 158.5 lbs
Race / Ethnicity
Daniel Elahi Galán Facts
- At the 2015 Claro Open Colombia, he made his ATP main draw singles debut where he was given a wildcard. He went on to defeat Spanish former professional tennis player Pere Riba in the first round.
- At the 2020 French Open third-round match with Novak Djokovic, Daniel Elahi Galán gained popularity with his best showing at a Grand Slam thus far. Despite his loss in straight sets (6–0, 6–3, 6–2), his performance earned him new followers.
- On April 5, 2021, he reached a career-high of World No. 110 as a result of his first and best Masters 1000 third-round showing thus far at the 2021 Miami Open.
- At the 2020 Summer Olympics, Daniel Elahi Galán represented Colombia and was defeated by World No. 5 and eventual Olympic champion Alexander Zverev in the second round.
- He reached his first ATP quarterfinal of the year at the 2022 Córdoba Open as a lucky loser and lost to top seed Diego Schwartzman.
- At the 2022 Wimbledon Championships, he reached the second round for a second consecutive year defeating Dominik Koepfer and moved to the third round for the first time at this Major after the withdrawal of 17th seed Roberto Bautista Agut as he tested positive for COVID-19.
- On July 25, 2022, Daniel Elahi Galán reached the top 100 at World No. 99 after a second-round showing as a qualifier at the 2022 Hamburg European Open defeating Argentine player Federico Coria.
- Daniel Elahi Galán went on to defeat 2016 champion Fabio Fognini at the 2022 Croatia Open Umag.
- At the 2022 US Open, he made his debut as a qualifier and upset world No. 5 Stefanos Tsitsipas in the first round to advance to the second round. He was also successful in securing his first victory over a Top-5 player and for Colombia since Iván Molina took down then-No. 3 Manuel Orantes in Tehran in 1975.
- In the 2nd round at the 2022 US Open, he defeated Australian player Jordan Thompson in five sets to reach the 3rd round at this Major for the second time in his career. With this, he moved into the top 75 in the rankings.
- Daniel Elahi Galán reached his second quarterfinal of the season at the 2022 San Diego Open by defeating fourth seed Pedro Martinez but lost to fifth seed and eventual champion Brandon Nakashima.
- On September 26, 2022, he moved to the top 70 rankings and was placed at #69. On November 28, he achieved an ATP career-high singles ranking of No. 67.
- At the 2023 Sarasota Open, he made his way to the final as the defending champion but lost to Daniel Altmaier.
- At the 2023 Mutua Madrid Open in the first round, Daniel Elahi Galán played against Alexander Bublik in what became the longest tiebreak to date of the ATP season.
- He upset 24th seed Yoshihito Nishioka at the 2023 Wimbledon Championships. He then defeated qualifier Oscar Otte to reach a second consecutive 3rd round before defeating Mikael Ymer to reach his first 4th round at this Major and in his career. With this, he moved to a new career high in the top 55 in the rankings.
- He has been a part of the Colsanitas team, an organization that supports the best tennis players in Colombia.
Featured Image by si.robi / Flickr / CC BY-SA 2.0