|Fabio Fognini Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 10 in|
|Date of Birth||May 24, 1987|
Fabio Fognini is an Italian professional tennis player who is adept at both the singles and the doubles formats of the sport and has been a part of the ‘Top 10’ of the official ATP (Association of Tennis Professionals) rankings. A clay-court specialist, 8 of his 9 ATP singles titles and 2 of his 5 ATP doubles titles had been secured on that surface, as of January 2021. In 2015, he and Simone Bolelli had become the first all-Italian men’s pair to win a Grand Slam title in the Open Era when they triumphed at the Australian Open. He had also led Italy to the semi-final of the prestigious Davis Cup in 2014. His autobiography, titled Warning, was published in 2020.
Sanremo, Liguria, Italy
Arma di Taggia, Imperia, Liguria, Italy
Professional Tennis Player
- Father – Fulvio Fognini (Businessman)
- Mother – Silvana Fognini (née Audisio)
- Siblings – Fulvia Fognini (Younger Sister)
- Others – Oronzo Pennetta (Father-in-Law), Concetta Pennetta (née Intiglietta) (Mother-in-Law), Giorgia Pennetta (Sister-in-Law)
Right-Handed (Two-Handed Backhand)
5 ft 10 in or 178 cm
79 kg or 174 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Fabio has dated –
- Flavia Pennetta (2014-Present) – Fabio had started dating fellow Italian tennis player (now retired) Flavia Pennetta in March 2014. The couple got engaged in June 2015, and the two were married in June 2016, in a ceremony in Ostuni, Italy. They have 2 children together – a son named Federico Fognini (b. May 19, 2017) and a daughter named Farah Fognini (b. December 23, 2019).
Race / Ethnicity
He is of Italian descent.
- Toned physique
- Short-cropped hair
- Sports a trimmed beard
- Affable smile
- Has a mole on his left cheek
Fabio and his wife Flavia were featured in a campaign, in January 2019, to promote the Emporio Armani collection.
He has been sponsored by –
- Hydrogen sportswear
Fabio Fognini Facts
- He had started playing tennis from the age of 4 and growing up, his favorite sports were tennis, soccer, and motorbike racing. He has been a fan of the Italian soccer clubs Inter Milan and Genoa C.F.C., and the iconic Italian professional motorcycle racer Valentino Rossi.
- A polyglot, he is fluent in major European languages like Italian, English, Spanish, and French.
- In April 2019, he became the first Italian player to win an ATP Tour Masters 1000 title when he triumphed at the Monte Carlo Masters event. In the semi-final, he had defeated the then world number 2 and 3-time defending champion Rafael Nadal which made him just the 4th player to have beaten Nadal 3 times in a clay-court match.
- After the 2019 French Open, he had broken into the ‘Top 10’ of the official ATP men’s singles rankings for the first time in his career. At 32, he was the oldest player to do so since the establishment of these rankings in 1973. He was also the first Italian player in the ‘Top 10’ since Corrado Barazzutti in 1979. Interestingly, Corrado became Fabio’s coach in 2020.
- His son was born 3 days after his win over the then world number 1 Andy Murray at the 2017 ATP Masters 1000 Rome event. As of January 2021, this was his only win against a world number 1 player.
Featured Image by Fabio Fognini / Instagram