|David Gilmour Quick Info|
|Date of Birth||March 6, 1946|
David Gilmour is an English guitarist, singer, songwriter, and musician who is known as a member of the rock band Pink Floyd. He joined the band in 1967 and Pink Floyd went on to release a number of albums including The Piper at the Gates of Dawn, Atom Heart Mother, More, The Dark Side of the Moon, The Final Cut, A Saucerful of Secrets, Obscured by Clouds, Meddle, Ummagumma, The Division Bell, A Momentary Lapse of Reason, The Wall, Wish You Were Here, The Endless River, and Animals. As a solo artist, David Gilmour has released albums such as David Gilmour, About Face, Rattle That Lock, and On An Island. Rolling Stone ranked him at #14 in their list of the greatest guitarists of all time in 2011.
David Jon Gilmour
Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, England, United Kingdom
David Gilmour studied at The Perse School located in Cambridge, England. However, he did not enjoy his time there. Afterward, he got enrolled at Cambridgeshire College of Arts and Technology in 1962 and started studying A-Level modern languages.
Guitarist, Singer, Songwriter, Musician
- Father – Douglas Gilmour (A senior lecturer in zoology at the University of Cambridge)
- Mother – Sylvia (née Wilson) (Trained as a teacher and later worked as a film editor for the BBC)
- Others – Sidney David Gilmour (Paternal Grandfather), Anne Margarite Graham (Paternal Grandmother), Lance Samson (Father-In-Law) (A Newspaper editor and diplomatic correspondent for the Morning Star), Esther Cheo Ying (Mother-In-Law) (Wrote the memoir titled Black Country to Red China, about her time serving as a Major in Mao Zedong’s Red Army)
David Gilmour has been signed with One Fifteen, Music Artist Management Company, London, England, United Kingdom.
Progressive Rock, Psychedelic Rock, Art Rock, Blues Rock, Ambient
EMI Columbia, Harvest Records, Capitol Records, Columbia Records, Sony, EMI
According to CelebrityNetWorth.com, he has a net worth of $180 Million.
6 ft or 183 cm
80 kg or 176.5 cm
Girlfriend / Spouse
David Gilmour has dated –
- Sally Arnold
- Viv Brans
- Kate Bush – RUMOR
- Susan Kingsford (1964)
- Jenny Roth (1968-1969)
- Virginia “Ginger” Hasenbein – He started going out with American artist, sculptor, and author Virginia “Ginger” Hasenbein in October 1971 and she has described their meeting as “love at first sight”. The couple got married on July 7, 1975, and the wedding reception was held at Abbey Road Studios. They had 4 children – three daughters named Alice Gilmour (b. 1976), Clare Gilmour (b. 1979), and Sara Gilmour (b. 1983) and a son named Matthew Gilmour (b. 1986). David and Ginger parted ways during Pink Floyd‘s 1987–89 world tour and eventually got divorced.
- Polly Samson (1994-Present) – David Gilmour married his 2nd wife Polly Samson (a novelist, lyricist, and journalist) in the year 1994 and it was his teenage friend and the Pink Floyd album artwork designer Storm Thorgerson who served as his best man. They parent 4 children – Joe (b. 1995), Gabriel (b. 1997), Romany (b. 2002), and Charlie (Gilmour’s adopted son who was born in 1989 to Samson and Heathcote Williams).
Race / Ethnicity
David Gilmour is of English, Northern Irish, Dutch, Belgian Flemish, and French descent.
- Soft-spoken nature and polite personality
- Emotionally powerful guitar solos
David Gilmour Favorite Things
- Pink Floyd Album – Wish You Were Here (1975)
- Pink Floyd Song – Shine On, You Crazy Diamond
Source – IMDb
David Gilmour Facts
- His family resided in Trumpington, Cambridgeshire at the time of David’s birth. After that, the family relocated several times before finally settling in Grantchester Meadows.
- David Gilmour is an experienced pilot and aviation enthusiast.
Featured Image by Jimmy Baikovicius / Flickr / CC BY-SA 2.0