|David Portnoy Quick Info
|5 ft 10 in
|Date of Birth
|March 22, 1977
David Portnoy is an American internet celebrity and blogger who is best known as the founder of the sports and pop culture blog Barstool Sports. For the broadcast of content from the site, he has developed a character called El Presidente who has a blunt and straightforward persona. His brash attitude was the key reason behind the popularity of the website with young men but the same has often led to criticism, due to his demeaning comments towards women and other communities.
David Scott Portnoy
Swampscott, Essex County, Massachusetts, United States
Boston, Suffolk County, Massachusetts, United States
David had attended the Swampscott High School in his hometown of Swampscott. In 1995, he had joined the University of Michigan, a public research university in Ann Arbor, Michigan. He had graduated from there with a degree in education, in 1999.
Internet Celebrity, Blogger
- Father – Michael Portnoy
- Mother – Linda Portnoy (née Kaufman)
5 ft 10 in or 178 cm
78 kg or 172 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
David has dated –
- Renee Satherthwaite (2009–2017) – David had married equestrian and social media personality Renee Satherthwaite in 2009. The couple had parted ways in January 2017.
- Silvana Mojica (2021-2023) – In 2021, he started dating a much younger Instagram star Silvana Mojica. In November 2023, it was revealed that they had broken up.
Race / Ethnicity
He is of Ashkenazi Jewish descent.
- Mildly stocky frame
- Side-parted wavy hair
- Sports a rugged beard
David Portnoy Facts
- After his graduation from the University of Michigan, David had moved to Boston to work with the Yankee Group, an IT market research firm. In 2003, he had left the job and founded a blog titled Barstool Sports. Over more than a decade, the blog expanded exponentially and American businessman and investor Peter Chernin’s The Chernin Group bought a majority stake in Barstool Sports in January 2016; and the organization’s headquarters was moved to New York City.
- In 2013, he had run an unsuccessful campaign to become the Mayor of Boston after the retirement of the incumbent mayor Thomas Menino. He had managed to garner more than USD 17k in campaign contributions but had failed to submit enough nomination signatures to qualify for the election. He had identified as a Libertarian during the campaign.
- In May 2015, he was arrested by the New York City police after he and 3 of his employees had handcuffed one another on the floor of the NFL (National Football League) headquarters to protest against the Deflategate controversy.
- In 2019, he was placed in a holding cell at the Mercedes-Benz Stadium in Atlanta, Georgia, for a part of the Super Bowl LIII event. It was alleged that he had created fake passes to attend a press conference a day before the event and was subsequently prohibited from attending the match.
- In 2020, Penn National Gaming, an American operator of casinos and racetracks had purchased a 36% stake in Barstool Sports. After this deal, The Chernin Group maintained a 36% stake in the organization whereas David continued to manage the website and retain creative control.
- Later that year, he had contributed USD 500k to The Barstool Fund, a relief effort for small businesses affected by the COVID-19 pandemic. The campaign raised USD 30 million.
- In September 2023, David purchased a waterfront estate in Nantucket, Massachusetts, for $42 million.
Featured Image by David Portnoy / Instagram