|Dev Patel Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 1½ in|
|Date of Birth||April 23, 1990|
Dev Patel is a British actor, producer, and director known for portraying various important roles in popular TV shows and films like Skins, Slumdog Millionaire, and The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel. He won the BAFTA Award for “Best Supporting Actor” for his role in the biographical drama Lion in 2017. Dev has won several other awards for his outstanding performances and has been nominated several times as well.
Harrow, London, England, United Kingdom
Los Angeles, California, Unites States
Dev Patel began his education at Longfield Middle School in Dukes Ave, North Harrow. He also attended Whitmore High School where he completed his AS levels in 2007.
He started training at the Rayners Lane Academy of Taekwondo in 2000.
Actor, Producer, Director
- Father – Raj Patel (IT Consultant)
- Mother – Anita Patel (Caregiver)
- Siblings – Trushna Patel (Older Sister)
- Others – Maganlal (Grandfather), Manjula (Grandmother), Hillie (Aunt), Sanjai (Uncle)
Dev Patel is represented by –
- Curtis Brown Group Ltd.
- William Morris Endeavor
6 ft 1½ in or 186.5 cm
75 kg or 165 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Dev Patel has dated –
- Freida Pinto (2009-2014) – Indian actress Freida Pinto and Dev Patel first met on the set of their Oscar-winning debut film Slumdog Millionaire. The couple fell in love as they got so immersed in the surreal situations during the filming of the movie in 2008. Their 6-year long relationship, however, fell through after they broke up in December 2014. In an interview with the Weekend magazine, Freida said that the only reason for their break up was that she wanted to spend more time with herself even though they had a strong relationship together.
- Tilda Cobham-Hervey (2017-Present) – Australian actress Tilda Cobham-Hervey and Dev Patel started dating in 2017. Together the couple has made several appearances in public. In March 2017, the couple was given the title of ‘Hollywood’s Hottest Couple’.
Race / Ethnicity
He is of Gujarati descent.
- Thick eyebrows
- Wide smile
Dev Patel has done endorsement work for the following brands –
- IWC watches
- Mandarin Oriental
- Ermenegildo Zegna
Best Known For
His performance as the lead actor Jamal Malik in Danny Boyle‘s Slumdog Millionaire
Dev made his theatrical film debut in Danny Boyle’s Oscar-winning film Slumdog Millionaire as Jamal Malik in 2008.
First TV Show
He made his TV show debut as Anwar Kharral on the British drama series Skins on January 25, 2007.
Dev Patel Favorite Things
- Indian Spot To Eat – Ambria
- Comedian – Kevin Hart
- Thing To Draw – Trees
- Movie – Enter The Dragon
- Actor – Bruce Lee
Source – Cosmopolitan, NY Times
Dev Patel Facts
- He attained a straight “A” for his GCSE performance when he brought tears to his external examiner’s eyes by his honest portrayal of a child in the Beslan school hostage crisis in Russia.
- He won his first award as a child in middle school for the role of Sir Andrew Aguecheek in a production of Twelfth Night.
- In 2006, Dev’s mother saw an advert for the Skins audition in Metro. She tore up the advert and dragged him along to the National Youth Theatre in London.
- Dev attained his 1st Dan black belt in taekwondo in March 2006.
- During the London Premier of Hancock in June 2008, he stood outside the theatre for 3 hours to get a picture with Will Smith but never got the picture.
- He participated in the 2004 AIMAA (Action International Martial Arts Association) World Championships in Dublin.
- In 2010, Dev starred in a short film, The Commuter that was shot in London with a Nokia N8.
- He was turned down by the producers when he auditioned for Life of Pi (2012).
- He developed an Australian accent over the course of 8 months.
- If he had not become an actor, he would have been an architectural real estate agent.
- He believes that acting is honesty.
- Patel doesn’t leave the house without his watch.
- If he could be someone from the past, he would be Bruce Lee.
- In 2022, Dev Patel stopped the knife fight happening between a man and a woman outside a convenience store in Adelaide, Australia. The man was also stabbed in the chest but he survived.
- He is not active on social media.
Featured Image by Ping Foo / Flickr / CC BY-SA 2.0