|Tom Ellis Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 3 in|
|Date of Birth||November 17, 1978|
Tom Ellis is a Welsh actor, voiceover artist, and a musician who is well-known for playing the titular role of Lucifer Morningstar in the American fantasy crime drama television series, Lucifer. He has also been cast in a variety of roles in shows and movies such as The Life and Adventures of Nicholas Nickleby, High Heels and Low Lifes, Messiah III: The Promise, Much Ado About Nothing, Waking the Dead, The Catherine Tate Show, Suburban Shootout, Doctor Who, Harley Street, Miss Conception, Accused, The Fades, The Secret of Crickley Hall, Agatha Christie’s Poirot, Once Upon a Time, Rush, Family Guy, and Isn’t It Romantic. His mother was a music teacher and, hence, he also got inclined towards the art and used to play musical instruments alongside his sisters. Moreover, Tom Ellis has also amassed a huge social media fan base with more than 4 million followers on Instagram and more than 700k followers on Twitter.
Thomas John Ellis
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
Tom Ellis divides his time between his residences in –
- Los Angeles, California, United States
- Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Tom Ellis studied at High Storrs School, a co-educational secondary school and sixth form college located on the outskirts of Sheffield, England, United Kingdom. Then, he attended the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland (previously known as the Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama [RSAMD]), a conservatoire of dance, drama, music, production, and film located in Glasgow, Scotland, and pursued a degree in BA Dramatic Studies.
Actor, Voice Actor, Musician
- Father – Christopher John Ellis (Baptist Minister)
- Mother – Marilyn Jean (née Hooper) (Music Teacher)
- Siblings – Tom Ellis has 3 sisters and one of them is a Baptist minister.
- Others – John Ellis (Paternal Grandfather), Emmie Ellis (Paternal Great Grandmother), Charles Ellis (Paternal Great Great Grandfather), Emma (Paternal Great Great Grandmother), Joyce Doreen Jones (Paternal Grandmother), Idris Job Jones (Paternal Great Grandfather), Albert T. Jones (Paternal Great Great Grandfather), Bessie (Paternal Great Great Grandmother), Lucy Sanders (Paternal Great Grandmother), Frederick Augustus Sanders (Paternal Great Great Grandfather), Nancy Horribin (Paternal Great Great Grandmother), Arthur Melbourne Hooper (Maternal Grandfather), Gratton Melbourne Hooper (Maternal Great Grandfather), George Hooper (Maternal Great Great Grandfather), Ellen Pipe (Maternal Great Great Grandmother), Minnie Ford (Maternal Great Grandmother), Thomas John Ford (Maternal Great Great Grandfather), Selina Ham (Maternal Great Great Grandmother), Dora Margaret Butcher (Maternal Grandmother), John W. Butcher (Maternal Great Grandfather), John Butcher (Maternal Great Great Grandfather), Margaret Walsh (Maternal Great Great Grandmother), Dora Campbell (Maternal Great Grandmother), John William Campbell (Maternal Great Great Grandfather), Mary Ann Pink (Maternal Great Great Grandmother), Robert Ellis (Robert Anthony Ellis) (Paternal Uncle) (Principal of Regent’s Park College, Oxford), Eva Marilyn Moody (Niece)
Tom Ellis is represented by –
- Hamilton Hodell, Talent Agency, London, England, United Kingdom
- Anonymous Content, Talent Management Company, Culver City, Los Angeles County, California, United States
Vocals, French Horn
6 ft 3 in or 190.5 cm
85 kg or 187.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Tom Ellis has dated –
- Estelle Morgan – Tom Ellis was in a relationship with Estelle Morgan but things did not work out for them and they decided to head separate ways. He became a father for the very first time in May 2005 when their daughter, named Nora Ellis, was born.
- Tamzin Outhwaite (2005-2014) – In the year 2005, Tom Ellis started going out with English actress and narrator, Tamzin Outhwaite, who is 8 years older than him. She is known for having been cast as Mel Owen in the BBC soap opera, EastEnders. It was one of Ellis’s close friends and Scottish actor, James McAvoy, who introduced him to her. Soon after, Ellis proposed to Tamzin Outhwaite on her birthday in November 2005 and the couple tied the knot the following year. They were blessed with their first child (Tom Ellis’ 2nd child), a daughter named Florence Elsie Ellis, on June 17, 2008. A few years later, on August 1, 2012, they welcomed their 2nd child, a daughter named Marnie Mae Ellis. Both Tamzin Outhwaite and Tom were seen together on a number of occasions and they also appeared on the ITV gameshow, named All Star Mr & Mrs Christmas Special, on December 25, 2008. However, their relationship started falling apart eventually and on August 29, 2013, it was stated by a spokesperson for the duo that they have separated. The following month, it was reported that Tamzin Outhwaite had filed for a divorce.
- Zoe Boyle (2013) – In 2013, it was reported that Tom Ellis went out with English actress, Zoe Boyle.
- Meaghan Oppenheimer (2015-Present) – Tom Ellis started dating American television and movie screenwriter, Meaghan Oppenheimer, in 2015. She can be seen in several of Ellis’s Instagram posts and they are often spotted spending time with one another. After being together for a couple of years, Ellis proposed to her and they got engaged in 2019. On June 1, 2019, the happy couple got married and has since been together.
Race / Ethnicity
Tom Ellis is of English, Welsh, and Cornish descent.
- Toned physique
- Tall stature
- Deep set eyes
- Often wears glasses
Tom Ellis has either endorsed or promoted a couple of brands through social media such as Audi UK, Corvette, and Canvas Warriors London.
Tom Ellis grew up in a very religious household.
Best Known For
- Having been cast in the lead role of Lucifer Morningstar in the American fantasy crime drama television series, Lucifer (from 2016). On the show, he stars alongside the likes of Lauren German, Kevin Alejandro, D. B. Woodside, Lesley-Ann Brandt, Scarlett Estevez, Rachael Harris, Kevin Rankin, Tricia Helfer, Aimee Garcia, Tom Welling, and Inbar Lavi.
- Appearing in a variety of other shows and movies such as The Life and Adventures of Nicholas Nickleby, Buffalo Soldiers, Nice Guy Eddie, Gordon Ramsay: Cookalong Live, I’ll Be There, Messiah III: The Promise, Much Ado About Nothing, Waking the Dead, The Catherine Tate Show, Doctor Who, Trial & Retribution, I Love My Country, Monday Monday, Harley Street, The Fades, The Secret of Crickley Hall, The Late Late Show with James Corden, Agatha Christie’s Poirot, Once Upon a Time, The Strain, Rush, Family Guy, Queen America, Last Call with Carson Daly, BuzzFeed Celeb, and Isn’t It Romantic
As a Singer
Tom Ellis has performed various songs, such as Creep, I Will Survive, All Along The Watchtower, Mess Around, Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door, Heart and Soul, and Summer Holiday, in several shows like Lucifer and Miranda.
He also used to play French horn in the City of Sheffield Youth Orchestra.
Tom Ellis made his first theatrical film appearance by playing the role of a Police Officer in the action comedy-drama film, High Heels and Low Lifes, in 2001. The lead cast of the film included Minnie Driver, Mary McCormack, Kevin McNally, Michael Gambon, and Darren Boyd.
First TV Show
Tom Ellis made his first TV show appearance as Ben in an episode, titled Kate’s Niece, of the comedy-drama series, Kiss Me Kate in December 2000.
As a voice actor, he made his TV show debut by providing vocals to the character of Oscar Wilde in an episode, titled V is for Mystery, of the animated comedy sitcom, Family Guy, in March 2018.
Tom Ellis has maintained a stunning physique by working out on a regular basis. He workouts with his trainer Paolo Mascitti and has attained a shredded body. Also, he keeps his fans updated about his workout progress by posting his videos on Instagram on a regular basis. Tom Ellis has also taken yoga classes.
Moreover, he also had a bet with his trainer according to which if the show was renewed for another season, after Season 3, then Ellis would take up a 3-month training plan. However, the news of the 4th season came after a bit of a delay and speculations but as soon as the next season was confirmed, Paolo Mascitti called Ellis to remind him about their bet and get started.
As far as his diet is concerned, Tom Ellis tries to maintain a healthy diet as much as possible and during his 3-month training session, he had to quit alcohol and being a huge beer lover, it was hard for him to do so.
Tom Ellis Favorite Things
- Dishes – Orecchiette and Spaghetti Squash with red onion, crispy bacon bits, capers, garlic, and pesto
- Food Joints – Bao Bei, Tasting Kitchen
- Karaoke Song – Mustang Sally
- Neighborhood In London – Hampstead
- Music Venue – Roundhouse in Camden, London, England
- Cities For Food – Los Angeles, Vancouver
- Actors – Tom Hanks, Robin Williams, Ken Branagh, Mark Rylance
- Clothing Possession – Burberry Ferragamo leather jacket
Source – Vulture, TheNewPotato.com, ContentMode.com
Tom Ellis Facts
- One of his sisters is his twin.
- During his early years, Tom Ellis was really into sports and also dreamed about having a career in sports.
- While growing up, he used to play musical instruments along with his sisters.
- Pursuing acting as a career was something that Tom Ellis had not planned and something that happened to him on its own when he joined a theatre studies course and started liking the classes.
- What he really likes about Americans is their sense of optimism and general positivity. However, he has found it hard to accept that unlike his native country, America does not offer free healthcare to its citizens and he has also been confused with American Gun laws.
- Tom Ellis enjoys playing bad characters on screen.
- He attended a James Brown gig at the Roundhouse in Camden a few weeks before he passed away.
- He is a big fan of Sheffield Wednesday F.C.
- If he could invite any 5 people, living or dead, to a dinner party, Tom Ellis would invite Barack Obama, Michelle Obama, Roald Dahl, Meryl Streep, and Stephen Fry.
- He likes playing golf whenever he gets time to unwind from his busy schedule.
- Tom Ellis does not like eating oysters.
- He once had a crush on Canadian actress and former model, Tricia Helfer.
- In the past, Tom had auditioned for the role of Jonathan “Black Jack” Randall in the drama series, Outlander. However, the role was eventually played by Tobias Menzies.
- Follow Tom Ellis on Instagram and Twitter.
Featured Image by Sue Lukenbaugh / Flickr / CC BY-SA 2.0