|Emmanuel Macron Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 9¾ in|
|Date of Birth||December 21, 1977|
Emmanuel Macron became the 25th President of France after winning the Presidential elections in May 2017. Although he was relatively unknown at the start of his campaign, his political movement En Marche gained huge momentum and increased his popularity within the country rapidly. Macron is referred to as a centrist on the political spectrum with his political positions reflecting a blend of conservative and progressive ideologies. His landslide victory of 66.1% over his opponent Marine Le Pen in the 2017 Presidential elections has been noted as a turning point in the revival of France’s struggling economy. He has more than 3 million followers on Facebook, more than 4.5 million followers on Twitter, and more than 1.5 million followers on Instagram.
Emmanuel Jean-Michel Frédéric Macron
Amiens, Hauts-de-France, France
Élysée Palace, Paris, France
Emmanuel received his secondary education at the Lycée la Providence, a private Roman Catholic school in Amiens. However, for his final year, he got admission at the prestigious Lycée Henri-IV school in Paris and completed the undergraduate program with the highest honors (Bac S, Mention Très bien).
He also received a diploma in piano studies from the art institute, Amiens Conservatory.
Furthermore, he attended the Paris Nanterre University and graduated with a Master’s degree in Philosophy. For his thesis, he opted to write on philosophers Machiavelli and Hegel. He then studied at the Paris Institute of Political Studies and received his Master’s degree in Public Affairs; choosing Public Guidance and Economy as his major.
Macron pursued a career in senior civil service and got enrolled at the National School of Administration (École nationale d’administration). He graduated in 2004, after receiving training at an embassy in Nigeria.
- Father – Jean-Michel Macron (Professor of Neurology at the University of Picardy)
- Mother – Françoise Macron (née Noguès) (Physician)
- Siblings – Laurent Macron (Younger Brother) (Radiologist), Estelle Macron (Younger Sister) (Nephrologist)
- Others – André Henri Gaston Macron (Paternal Grandfather), Jacqueline Marcelle Eugénie (Paternal Grandmother), Jean Gabriel Noguès (Maternal Grandfather), Germaine Marie Louise Arribet (Maternal Grandmother), Sabine Aimot (Sister-in-law) (Obstetrician-Gynecologist), Carl Franjou (Brother-in-law) (Engineer), Hélène Joly (Stepmother) (Psychiatrist)
5 ft 9¾ in or 177 cm
74 kg or 163 lbs
Girlfriend / Boyfriend / Spouse
Emmanuel Macron has dated –
- Brigitte Trogneux (1995-Present) – In 1993, Emmanuel fell head over heels in love with his high school teacher Brigitte Trogneux while studying at the La Providence High School in Amiens. As a 15-year-old boy, he took drama classes under Trogneux (39 years old at that time), who seemed highly impressed by the precocious student. To complicate matters further, Brigitte was the mother of his classmate Laurence Auzière. Macron’s growing attraction for his teacher alarmed his parents and so, they sent him away to finish his studies at the elite Lycée Henri-IV school in Paris. However, it seemed that nothing could keep them apart as the two reunited once he completed his graduation and started dating after he turned 18. Brigitte got married to banker André-Louis Auzière in 1974 and shared 3 children – son Sébastien Auzière, and daughters Laurence Auzière and Tiphaine Auzière with her husband. Her divorce to Auzière was finalized in January 2006 and she tied the knot with Macron on October 20, 2007. The couple does not have any kids together but after marriage, Macron became stepfather to her 3 adult children, including Sébastien who is 2 years older than the French President.
- Mathieu Gallet – During his presidential campaign, Macron was accused of being involved in a secret gay affair with Mathieu Gallet, the former CEO of Radio France. Although Macron denied the claims at that time, the rumors gained momentum again in February 2018 after Gallet was sacked from his job on corruption charges. Certain sections of the media had reported that Macron got him fired as a ploy to keep their homosexual affair under wraps.
Race / Ethnicity
Emmanuel has French, English, and Scottish ancestry.
Gap between his front teeth
Emmanuel Macron’s image has been used to endorse the following brands –
- Google (2017)
- Time Magazine (2018)
Emmanuel was raised in a non-religious household. Nevertheless, at the age of 12, he got baptized of his own accord and became a Roman Catholic.
As of 2019, he identifies as Agnostic.
Best Known For
Becoming the President of France on May 14, 2017
First TV Show
Macron made his first TV show appearance as ‘Himself’ in the Une pieuvre nommée Bercy episode of the documentary series Le Monde en face (The Opposite World) in 2012.
Emmanuel Macron Favorite Things
- Food – Cordon bleu (a dish of meat or poultry, cheese, and bread which is deep-fried together)
- Indian Dish – Tandoori chicken
Source – The Guardian, India Today
Emmanuel Macron Facts
- From 2008 to 2012, Macron worked as an investment banker with the multi-national investment banking firm, Rothschild & Cie Banque.
- Emmanuel became the deputy secretary-general to former President François Hollande in 2012. Furthermore, he was appointed as the Minister of Economy and Finance in the second Valls Cabinet by Prime Minister Manuel Valls in August 2014.
- In April 2016, he formed the independent political party, En Marche (Forward!) after leaving François Hollande’s government over differences in their political ideologies.
- Macron released his book titled Revolution in November 2016. The book which described his political vision for France in detail became one of the best-selling books of 2016.
- During his presidential campaign, Macron was endorsed by several foreign dignitaries such as Barack Obama (former US President), Angela Merkel (German Chancellor), Jean-Claude Juncker (European Commission President), and many others.
- He is a supporter of the French football club, Olympique de Marseille.
- Emmanuel was declared the President of France on May 7, 2017, after defeating his opponent Marine Le Pen with 66.1% votes in comparison to her 33.9%.
- During his free time, Macron enjoys sports such as skiing, tennis, and boxing.
- While growing up, Emmanuel learned piano for 10 years and considers the works of composers Schumann and Liszt as the most enjoyable.
- Macron and his wife adopted a black Labrador Retriever-Griffon dog named Nemo. As of 2019, the dog resides with them at the Élysée Palace.
- In 2018, he was made the honorary canon of St John Lateran, a cathedral in Rome.
- Macron had planned on giving his wife Brigitte an official role under his government, even though it clashed with his anti-nepotism policies. However, following a severe backlash, he renounced his plans.
- Macron was included in Time Magazine‘s list of ‘The 100 Most Influential People’ in 2018. His homage was written by the Managing Director of IMF (International Monetary Fund), Christine Lagarde.
- He is fluent in both French and English languages.
- As of 2019, Macron is the youngest president in the history of France; being elected at the age of 39.
- His enthusiastic celebration during France’s victory at the 2018 FIFA World Cup went viral and became a subject of international media attention.
- In June 2021, Emmanuel was slapped in the face during a visit to the southeast of France at Tain-l’Hermitage and 2 men were arrested after the incident.
- He attended the FIFA World Cup final between Argentina and France held in Qatar in December 2022 which France lost by 2-4 to Argentina in the penalty shoot-out.
Featured Image by EU2017EE Estonian Presidency / Wikimedia / CC BY 2.0