|Gautam Adani Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 6 in|
|Date of Birth||June 24, 1962|
Gautam Adani is an Indian industrialist and philanthropist who is well-known as the founder and chairman of the Adani Group, a multinational business conglomerate that is chiefly involved in port development, power generation, logistics, agriculture, defense, and aerospace, amongst other industrial sectors. He is also the President of the Adani Foundation, the charitable arm of the Adani Group. In 2019, Gautam was ranked as the 3rd most powerful person in India by India Today magazine and the 2nd richest person in India by Forbes magazine.
Gautam Shantilal Adani
Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India
Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India
Gautam is a high school graduate and had attended the Sheth Chimanlal Nagindas Vidyalaya in Ahmedabad, Gujarat. He then got enrolled at Gujarat University to pursue a degree in commerce but dropped out after the 2nd year of the course.
- Father – Shantilal Adani (Textile Merchant)
- Mother – Shanti Adani
- Siblings – Vinod Adani (Older Brother) (Businessman), Vasant S. Adani (Brother), Rajesh Shantilal Adani (Brother), Mansukhbhai Adani (Older Brother) (Businessman). He has 3 other siblings.
- Others – Paridhi Adani (Daughter-in-Law), Krupa Adani (Niece), Cyril Shroff (Brother-in-Law)
Gautam Adani’s net worth was estimated at $134 billion as per Forbes in December 2022. He was the 3rd richest person in the world at that time.
By July 2022, Gautam Adani’s net worth had reached $114 billion as per Forbes.
5 ft 6 in or 167.5 cm
80 kg or 176.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Gautam has dated –
- Priti Adani – Gautam and Priti are married and have 2 sons together named Karan Adani (b. April 7, 1987) (Chief Executive Officer of Adani Ports & SEZ Limited and the Director of Adani Airport Holdings Limited) and Jeet Adani. In March 2023, Jeet got engaged to Diva Jaimin Shah in Ahmedabad.
Race / Ethnicity
- Short-cropped, side-parted hair
- Affable smile
- Sports a thick mustache
- Stocky frame
Gautam Adani Favorite Things
- Hobby – Reading
- Author – Robin Sharma
Source – Wikipedia
Gautam Adani Facts
- Gautam’s parents were residents of the town of Tharad in northern Gujarat, close to the Pakistan border and had migrated to Ahmedabad, the largest city of Gujarat, before his birth.
- Although he was interested in becoming a businessman, he never wanted to join his father’s textile business and moved to Mumbai in 1978 (at 16 years of age) while he was still in his teens. There, he worked as a diamond sorter for a trading company called Mahendra Brothers. He worked in the trade for a few years and even managed to set up a diamond brokerage firm at Zaveri Bazaar, a major hub for jewelry traders in Mumbai.
- At the age of 19, he made INR 10,000 commission from his first trade at the diamond brokerage firm.
- One of Gautam’s older brothers, Mansukhbhai Adani, then requested him to handle the operations of the plastics unit that he had acquired in 1981, in Ahmedabad. Gautam accepted the invitation and the venture became a breakthrough for him as it turned to be his gateway to global trade. By 1985, he had begun the business of importing primary polymers that were raw materials for several small-scale industries in India.
- He established Adani Enterprises Limited (then known as Adani Exports Limited) in 1988, the holding company of the Adani Group. It was initially meant to deal with only agricultural and power commodities. However, the economic liberalization of India in 1991 helped the company expand its scope and add the trading of metals, textiles, and agro products to its portfolio.
- In 1993, the local Government in the state of Gujarat had announced the managerial outsourcing of the Mundra Port. Gautam won the ensuing bid in 1995 and the port’s operations were handed over to the newly-formed Adani Ports & Special Economic Zone Limited (APSEZ) and the company became the largest private multi-port operator in India and also transformed the Mundra Port as the largest private sector port in India, in terms of cargo-handling capacity.
- In 1996, he launched a new company called Adani Power Limited which eventually became India’s largest private thermal power producer.
- Gautam is one of the survivors of the terrorist attacks that happened in Mumbai’s Taj Mahal Palace Hotel in November 2008.
- The Adani Foundation annually receives 3% of the profits that the Adani Group makes and the funds are utilized for several philanthropic activities, including the provision of free education to children from underprivileged families.
- From the start of 2021 till the middle of March 2021, Gautam Adani had added $16.2 billion to his wealth (due to a gain in the stock prices) which made him the biggest wealth gainer in 2021 by beating all the biggies like Jeff Bezos, Elon Musk, and Mukesh Ambani.
- On November 24, 2021, Gautam Adani had become India’s and Asia’s richest person surpassing Mukesh Ambani, based on group market cap.
- In early February 2022, Gautam had become the richest person in Asia once again and simultaneously surpassed Facebook’s parent company Meta’s Mark Zuckerberg as per real-time data via Forbes magazine. With this, he also became the world’s 10th richest person with $88.5 billion of net worth as per Bloomberg.
- In May 2022, Gautam Adani was included in the list of TIME magazine’s 100 Most Influential People of the World of 2022.
- In June 2022, to celebrate his 60th birthday and his father’s 100th birth anniversary on June 24, he pledged to donate INR 60,000 crore to social causes (healthcare, education, and skill development).
- As per Forbes, in July 2022, Gautam Adani had become the 4th richest person in the world by overtaking Bill Gates. Adani’s personal net worth was $114 billion.
- In August 2022, Gautam Adani was given a ‘Z’ category VIP security cover of CRPF commandos by the government of India on a ‘payment basis’ for 15-20 lakhs per month.
- Towards August 2022 end, Gautam Adani became the 3rd richest person in the world with a net worth of $137 billion after he surpassed Louis Vuitton’s Bernard Arnault of France according to Bloomberg Billionaires Index.
- In August 2022, he made the world record of becoming the first Asian to be the 3rd richest person in the world.
- On September 16, 2022, Gautam Adani had briefly become the second richest person in the world as per Forbes magazine with a net worth of $154.7 billion. Only Elon Musk was ahead of him.
- In January 2023, he revealed via India TV’s Aap Ki Adalat show that he played 8 to 10 games of ‘rummy paplu’, which is a card game, with his wife Priti every night after he returned from the office. His wife used to win most of the games.
- In 2023, Gautam Adani held nearly a 65% stake in NDTV after the founders Radhika and Prannoy Roy sold most of their shares.
- In January 2023, Adani revealed that ever since he started using ChatGPT (Artificial Intelligence-based software), he became addicted to it.
- On January 24, 2023, Adani dropped from 3rd to become the 4th richest person in the world as per Bloomberg Billionaires Index. Jeff Bezos of Amazon, Inc took the 3rd position.
- On January 25, 2023, Adani Group companies lost INR 46,000 crore (approx US $6 billion) collectively in market capitalization after a report by Hindenburg Research (a forensic financial research firm) claimed that the company had done accounting fraud in the last 10 years. The firm took 2 years to complete its investigation.
- In January 2023, Gautam Adani purchased the Ahmedabad franchise in the Women’s Premiere League (WIPL 2023) for INR 1289 crore through their company Adani Sportsline Pvt. Ltd.
- On January 31, 2023, Adani Group marked its entry into Israel after it bought the Port of Haifa which is one of Israel’s main ports.
- On January 31, 2023, Adani Enterprises’ INR 20,000 crore Follow-on Public Offering (FPO), which was India’s biggest-ever FPO until that time, was fully subscribed on the 3rd and final day of bidding. It had opened at a price band of INR 3,112 to 3,276 per share.
- By the end of January 2023, Gautam Adani was out of the list of the top 10 richest people in the world according to Bloomberg Billionaires Index. Adani was at #11 with his personal net worth at $84.4 billion.
- On February 1, 2023, Adani was replaced by Mukesh Ambani as Asia’s richest person with $84.5 billion wealth according to Forbes. Adani was worth $84 billion by the end of the day.
- On February 1, 2023, Gautam Adani took the decision to call off Adani Enterprises FPO after shares of the company fell nearly 30% on that day. Hence, the company refunded the amount to the respective investors.
- After the Hindenburg report, Gautam Adani reportedly hired Grant Thornton for independent audits of some of its companies. However, later, Adani Enterprises dismissed the reports and called it a market rumor.
- On February 22, 2023, Adani Group companies lost more than INR 51,000 crore in a single day. Since February 14, 2023, it was the biggest single-day fall.
- On February 24, 2023, Adani was out of the world’s top 25 richest people as per both Forbes and Bloomberg. His net worth was estimated at $42 billion. Adani group’s companies had lost $142 billion combined until that time.
- In March 2023, Adani prepaid INR 7,374 crore loan which was share-backed, much before its April 2025 maturity. With this, he released a 4% stake in Adani Enterprises and an 11.8% stake was released of Adani Ports.
- In 2023, Adani-owned Adani Enterprises’ Adani Digital Labs acquired a 100% stake in Stark Enterprises Private Limited-owned Trainman — an online train ticket booking platform.
Featured Image by U.S. Department of State / Flickr / Public Domain