|Gautam Adani Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 6 in|
|Date of Birth||June 24, 1962|
Gautam Adani is an Indian industrialist and philanthropist who is well-known as the founder and chairman of the Adani Group, a multinational business conglomerate that is chiefly involved in port development, power generation, logistics, agriculture, defense, and aerospace, amongst other industrial sectors. He is also the President of the Adani Foundation, the charitable arm of the Adani Group. In 2019, Gautam was ranked as the 3rd most powerful person in India by the India Today magazine and the 2nd richest person in India by Forbes magazine.
Gautam Shantilal Adani
Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India
Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India
Gautam is a high school graduate and had attended the Sheth Chimanlal Nagindas Vidyalaya in Ahmedabad, Gujarat. He then got enrolled at Gujarat University to pursue a degree in commerce but dropped out after the 2nd year of the course.
- Father – Shantilal Adani (Textile Merchant)
- Mother – Shanti Adani
- Siblings – Vinod Adani (Older Brother) (Businessman), Vasant S. Adani (Brother), Rajesh Shantilal Adani (Brother), Mansukhbhai Adani (Older Brother) (Businessman). He has 3 other siblings.
- Others – Paridhi Adani (Daughter-in-Law), Krupa Adani (Niece), Cyril Shroff (Brother-in-Law)
5 ft 6 in or 167.5 cm
80 kg or 176.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Gautam has dated –
- Priti Adani – Gautam and Priti are married and have 2 sons together named Karan Adani (b. April 7, 1987) (Chief Executive Officer of Adani Ports & SEZ Limited and the Director of Adani Airport Holdings Limited) and Jeet Adani.
Race / Ethnicity
- Short-cropped, side-parted hair
- Affable smile
- Sports a thick mustache
- Stocky frame
- Puffy face
Gautam Adani Favorite Things
- Hobby – Reading
- Author – Robin Sharma
Source – Wikipedia
Gautam Adani Facts
- Gautam’s parents were residents of the town of Tharad in northern Gujarat, close to the Pakistan border and had migrated to Ahmedabad, the largest city of Gujarat, before his birth.
- Although he was interested in becoming a businessman, he never wanted to join his father’s textile business and moved to Mumbai in 1978 while he was still in his teens. There, he worked as a diamond sorter for a trading company called Mahendra Brothers. He worked in the trade for a few years and even managed to set up a diamond brokerage firm at Zaveri Bazaar, a major hub for jewelry traders in Mumbai.
- One of Gautam’s older brothers, Mansukhbhai Adani, then requested him to handle the operations of the plastics unit that he had acquired in 1981, in Ahmedabad. Gautam accepted the invitation and the venture became a breakthrough for him as it turned to be his gateway to global trade. By 1985, he had begun the business of importing primary polymers that were raw material for several small-scale industries in India.
- He established Adani Enterprises Limited (then known as Adani Exports Limited) in 1988, the holding company of the Adani Group. It was initially meant to deal with only agricultural and power commodities. However, the economic liberalization of India in 1991 helped the company expand its scope and add the trading of metals, textiles, and agro products to its portfolio.
- In 1993, the local Government in the state of Gujarat had announced the managerial outsourcing of the Mundra Port. Gautam won the ensuing bid in 1995 and the port’s operations were handed over to the newly-formed Adani Ports & Special Economic Zone Limited (APSEZ) and the company became the largest private multi-port operator in India and also transformed the Mundra Port as the largest private sector port in India, in terms of cargo-handling capacity.
- In 1996, he launched a new company called Adani Power Limited which eventually became India’s largest private thermal power producer.
- Gautam is one of the survivors of the terrorist attacks that happened in Mumbai’s Taj Mahal Palace Hotel in November 2008.
- The Adani Foundation annually receives 3% of the profits that the Adani Group makes and the funds are utilized for several philanthropic activities, including the provision of free education to children from underprivileged families.
- From the start of 2021 till the middle of March 2021, Gautam Adani had added $16.2 billion to his wealth (due to gain in the stock prices) which made him the biggest wealth gainer in 2021 by beating all the biggies like Jeff Bezos, Elon Musk, and Mukesh Ambani.
- On November 24, 2021, Gautam Adani had become India’s and Asia’s richest person surpassing Mukesh Ambani, based on group market cap.
Featured Image by U.S. Department of State / Flickr / Public Domain