|George Ezra Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 1 in|
|Date of Birth||June 7, 1993|
George Ezra is an English singer and lyricist well-known for his bluesy and soulful music. Born and raised in Hertfordshire, England, he moved to the city of Bristol in 2011 to study music. In June 2013, he received the opportunity to play at the BBC Introducing Stage at the famous Glastonbury Festival. The same year, in October, he released his first EP titled Did You Hear the Rain? Soon, he started to receive airtime on BBC Radio 1, where his songs Did You Hear the Rain? and Budapest were prominently featured. The song Budapest made him an overnight sensation. It reached number 1 in many countries and was certified ‘Platinum’ by the Federation of the Italian Music Industry. In March 2014, his 2nd EP titled Cassy O’ was released.
Eventually, his debut studio album titled Wanted on Voyage hit the shelves on June 30, 2014. George has stated that the inspiration behind his debut album was the fictional character Paddington Bear. The album entered at #3 on the UK charts and by October, it had reached the top position. In April 2017, he announced a tour of the UK and Ireland, where he revealed that he was planning to release his 2nd album. In June, Don’t Matter Now was released as the leading song of the new album titled Staying at Tamara’s. The album’s 2nd single Paradise was released in January 2018 with an accompanying music video. It claimed 2nd spot in the UK music charts. Another single, Shotgun was released in May 2018. The song became the biggest hit of George’s career and reached #1 in the United Kingdom, Ireland and Australia and the top 10 in 8 other countries. George has cited Bob Dylan and Woody Guthrie as the greatest influences on his musical career.
George Ezra Barnett
Mr Legs, Young Geoff, George E boy, Gorgeous George
Hertford, Hertfordshire, England, United Kingdom
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
George completed his schooling from Bengeo Primary School and Simon Balle School in Hertfordshire. In 2011, he moved to Bristol to study at the British and Irish Modern Music Institute. He had completed 1 year of the degree course there when he was signed by Columbia Records based on his music clips on the internet.
Singer, Songwriter, Guitarist
- Father – Paul Barnett (Teacher)
- Mother – She is a teacher.
- Siblings – Jessica Barnett (Older Sister), Ethan Barnett (Younger Brother) (Singer)
He is represented by –
- Ryan Lofthouse, General Manager, Closer Artists, United Kingdom
- Adrian Read, Publicist, Inside/Out Agency, United Kingdom
- Sarah Mary Cunningham, Press Relations, Sony Music, United States
- Angus Baskerville, Booking Agent, 13 Artists, United Kingdom
- Charlie Myatt, Booking Agent, 13 Artists, United Kingdom
- Kirk Sommer, Booking Agent, William Morris, United States
Folk Rock, Blues, Roots Rock, Americana, Pop-folk
- Columbia Records
- Sony Music
6 ft 1 in or 185.5 cm
70 kg or 154.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
George has dated –
- Florence Arnold (2014-Present) – During an interview in April 2018, George admitted that he was in a relationship that had started a few months before his first album was released in 2014. He revealed that many romantic songs in his 2018 album, Staying at Tamara’s were inspired by how he fell in love with his girlfriend. The couple had kept their relationship private for several years and George had never revealed her name. However, Florence, who is a singer/songwriter, made a public appearance with him at the 2019 Brit Awards, finally blowing the cover.
Race / Ethnicity
- The inch-long scar above his right eyebrow
- Boyish face
- Powerful baritone voice
- Striking blue eyes
11 (UK) or 12 (US) or 45 (EU)
George has served as an official ambassador for Mind, a mental health awareness charity. He has raised significant funds for them and supported many of their campaigns.
Best Known For
His soulful singing in songs like Budapest, Paradise, Barcelona, and Shotgun in his albums Wanted on Voyage (2014) and Staying at Tamara’s (2018)
George released his first studio album titled Wanted on Voyage on June 30, 2014.
First TV Show
George made his first TV show appearance on April 8, 2014, when he featured in an episode of the musical talk show Launched at Red Bull Studios.
George is not deeply invested in rigorous fitness regimens but makes it a point to spend about 30 minutes in the gym daily. He also loves walking and tries to walk around the countryside, whenever an opportunity arises.
He usually avoids meat-based protein and likes to include roasted vegetables, salads, and muesli in his diet.
George Ezra Favorite Things
- Children’s Book – Paddington Bear by Michael Bond
- Pastime – Solving Jigsaw Puzzles
- Hotel Chain – Holiday Inn
- Foreign Movie – The World’s Fastest Indian (2005)
- Animated Movie – Toy Story (1995)
- Movie Director – Wes Anderson
- 90s Music Video – Loser by Beck (1994)
- Love Song – Crazy Love by Van Morrison (1970)
- 80s Dance Song – Girls Just Want to Have Fun by Cyndi Lauper
- Travel Destination – France
- Movie Soundtrack – Shrek (2001)
- Live Show – The Rolling Stones (in 2013)
- Event To play At – Glastonbury Festival
- Song To Perform – Barcelona, from his 2014 album, Wanted on Voyage
- Rapper – Kendrick Lamar
- Beatles’ Member – George Harrison
- Food – Carbonara, Lentils, Macaroni Cheese, Sushi
- Beverages – Herbal Tea, Red Wine, Gin and Tonic
- Jellybean Flavor – Watermelon
- Pub – The Old Barge in Hertford, where he worked as a youngster
- Authors – Haruki Murakami and Philip Pullman
George Ezra Facts
- He made his stage debut at a nightclub, The Marquee as a 13-year-old in a cover band, singing the female version of the song Teenage Dirtbag. He wore eyeliner and his sister’s jeans for the performance.
- While he was studying at the British and Irish Modern Music Institute, George accidentally ran into a wall, that caused an inch-long scar on his forehead, above his right eyebrow.
- George’s debut studio album titled Wanted on Voyage was the 3rd best-selling album of 2014 in the UK. It was only behind Ed Sheeran‘s X and Sam Smith‘s In the Lonely Hour. However, on January 4, 2015, the album reached the number one position in the UK.
- Before his rise to fame, George had created a word, “petan” to bond with his fans. In an interview, he revealed that the word had just originated randomly and had no major significance. However, it has lived on and appears frequently on social media. In fact, George has started selling merchandise using that word.
- George played the support act for iconic band Led Zeppelin‘s lead singer Robert Plant at the Glastonbury Extravaganza in August 2014.
- In October 2014, he released a music video for his song Listen to the Man, featuring legendary actor Sir Ian McKellen.
- In 2015, he was the opening act on 16 dates for Sam Smith’s In the Lonely Hour Tour. He also toured with Irish musician Hozier on his sold-out 2015 North American sojourn.
- In 2015, he was nominated for “Best British Album”, “Best British Male Solo Artist”, “Best British Single”, and “British Breakthrough Artist” at the Brit Awards. However, he did not win in any of the categories.
- In 2019, George won “Best British Male Solo Artist” at the Brit Awards, “Best Music – International” at the Goldene Kamera Awards, and “Live Act of the Year” at the GQ Men of the Year Awards.
- In 2018, he started a podcast named George Ezra & Friends, where he holds a free-wheeling discussion with other musicians over episodes that range from 45 to 60 minutes. The podcast is hosted on his official website and its debut episode on February 12 featured Ed Sheeran.
- On his podcast, George has hosted artists like Hannah Reid, Craig David, Declan McKenna, Jessie Ware, Justin Young, Sam Smith, Lily Allen, Sir Elton John, Niall Horan, Ellie Goulding, Laurie Vincent, Olly Alexander, Nile Rodgers, and Sir Tom Jones.
- In September 2019, George performed 2 special shows at The Royal Albert Hall to raise money for mental health awareness charity, Mind. George has often spoken openly about suffering from anxiety in the past.
- In March 2019, George was forced to pay royalties for his hit song Shotgun after Irish musician Derek Ryan made claims of copyright infringement stating that Shotgun was similar to his 2014 song, Flowers in Your Hair. George insisted that he had never heard of Derek’s song. However, the lawyers of both parties made an out-of-court settlement that gives Derek 7.5% of the total income from the song.
- George had kept his long-term relationship with his girlfriend very private and her name was never publicly revealed. Therefore, when he admitted that most of the romantic songs in his 2nd album, Staying at Tamara’s (2018) were in tribute to his love life, there were intense speculations that his girlfriend’s name was Tamara. However, George put paid to those rumors by stating that Tamara was actually the name of the Airbnb owner whose home he was staying at when traveling in Barcelona.
- In March 2023, it was revealed that George had been diagnosed with acute vertigo.
- Visit his official website @ georgeezra.com.
- Follow him on Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, and Instagram.
Featured Image by George Ezra / Instagram