|Helen Mirren Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 4 in|
|Date of Birth||July 26, 1945|
Helen Mirren is a notable and talented English actress. She has received many awards including The Oscar, British Academy Film Award (BAFTA), Screen Actors Guild Award, Golden Globe Award, and Critics’ Choice Movie Award, in a career that spans over 50 years in the entertainment business. Some of her notable films include The Queen, Cal, The Madness of King George, Gosford Park, The Last Station, Red, Hitchcock, The Hundred-Foot Journey, Trumbo, and The Leisure Seeker. She is also a recipient of the Dame Commander of the Order of the British Empire and Hollywood Walk of Fame.
Helen Lydia Mironoff
Helen Mirren, Popper
Hammersmith, London, England, United Kingdom
She has residences in –
- Los Angeles, California, United States
- London, England, United Kingdom
- South of France
Helen Mirren studied at Hamlet Court Primary School in Westcliff-on-Sea and St Bernard’s High School for Girls in Southend-on-Sea. Later, she attended the New College of Speech and Drama in London, England.
Actress, Voice Actress, Producer
- Father – Vasily Petrovich Mironoff (1913–1980)
- Mother – Kathleen Alexandrina Eva Matilda (1909–1996)
- Siblings – Katherine Mironoff (Older Sister) (Born 1942), Peter Basil Mironoff (Younger Brother) (1948–2002)
- Others – Piotr Vasilievich Mironoff (Paternal Grandfather), Maria Sinchugova /Sinchougova (Paternal Grandmother), Arthur Rogers (Maternal Grandfather), Elizabeth Sarah Jones (Maternal Grandmother), Rio Hackford (Step-Son), Alex Hackford (Step-Son), Tania Mallet (Cousin)
Helen Mirren is managed by –
- Fred Specktor, Agent, CAA (U.S.), Los Angeles, California, United States
- Katie Feldman, Public Relations, Stan Rosenfield & Associates LTD., Los Angeles, California, United States
- The Artists Partnership, Talent Agency, London, United Kingdom
5 ft 4 in or 162.5 cm
56 kg or 123.5 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Helen Mirren has dated –
- Liam Neeson (1980-1985) – In the early 1980s, Helen lived with actor Liam Neeson. They met during the shooting of Excalibur (1981). Liam credits her for helping him get an agent.
- Taylor Hackford (1986-Present) – In 1986, Helen started a relationship with director Taylor Hackford. They met while filming the White Nights (1985). The couple tied the knot at the Ardersier Parish Church near Inverness in the Scottish Highlands on December 31, 1997. The couple doesn’t have any children.
Race / Ethnicity
She is of Russian descent on her father’s side and has English roots on her mother’s side.
- Neck length hairstyle
- Jovial smile
Helen Mirren has done endorsement work for brands like –
- Marks & Spencer
- Virgin Airlines
- Wii Fit Plus
She is an atheist.
Best Known For
- Her role as the Queen in the fictional drama The Queen (2006), a story about the unexpected events that unfolded after the death of Princess Diana as the public awaits compassion from their Queen. This role got her winning around 29 different prestigious awards including The Oscar, British Academy Film Award (BAFTA), Screen Actors Guild Award, Golden Globe Award, and Critics’ Choice Movie Award.
- Her other versatile roles in movies including Cal (1984), The Madness of King George (1994), The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover (1989), Teaching Mrs. Tingle (1999), Gosford Park (2001), The Last Station (2009), Red (2010), Hitchcock (2012), The Hundred-Foot Journey (2014), Woman in Gold (2015), Trumbo (2015), and The Leisure Seeker (2017)
In 1966, she made her feature film debut as Penelope Squires in the film, Press for Time. However, she was uncredited for her role.
In 1967, she made her credited feature film debut as Advert Woman in the drama film, Herostratus.
In 1995, Helen made her theatrical film debut as a voice actress by voicing the character of Snow Queen in the animated film, The Snow Queen.
First TV Show
In 1970, she made her first TV show appearance in the talk show, The Brian Connell Interview.
In 1996, she made her TV show debut as a voice actress in the family series, Reading Rainbow.
Helen Mirren has been following the simple 12 minutes workout routine designed by the Royal Canadian Air Force for many years. It includes 10 basic exercises that can be done at home without any equipment. The workout was created by Bill Orban in the 1950s and is better known as the XBX workout. It includes exercises like knee raises, sit-ups, leg raises, push-ups, side bends, chest raises, running, and hopping on the spot.
As for her diet, she maintains a balanced eating habit and does not over eat or drink.
Helen Mirren Favorite Things
- Smell – Newly mown grass
- American City – New Orleans
- Curse Word – Bugger
- Eatery In The World – Stage Restaurant in Manhattan’s East Village
- Movie – French movie called L’Atalante
Helen Mirren Facts
- At the Hamlet Court Primary School, she played the lead role in the school’s production of the popular fairytale, Hansel and Gretel.
- Growing up, she used to work as a “blagger” to attract customers on to rides at The Kursaal amusement park in Southend-on-Sea, Essex.
- She started working in theaters right after her high school and worked in numerous productions such as the West End and Broadway.
- In 1967, she started working with the Royal Shakespeare Company.
- In 2003, she received the Dame Commander of the Order of the British Empire Award for her services to drama.
- Although she is half Russian, she can hardly speak the language.
- She is fluent in French.
- She has played the roles of both Queen Elizabeth I (in Elizabeth I (2005)) and Queen Elizabeth II (in The Queen (2006)).
- Helen received a 5-minute standing ovation for her performance at the premiere of The Queen (2006) at the Venice Film Festival.
- Until 2018, she has played the role of a queen 6 times in different movies and TV shows including The Queen (2006), Elizabeth I (2005), The Prince of Egypt (1998), The Snow Queen (1995), The Madness of King George (1994), and Caligula (1979).
- Her husband, Taylor Hackford, and she are both recipients of the Oscar awards.
- She has a star tattooed on her left hand. It represents an American-Indian symbol that means “equal but opposite”.
- On March 28, 2011, she left an imprint of her hand and foot in cement in front of Graumann Chinese Theater.
- On January 3, 2013, she received the Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
- She considers Italian actress Anna Magnani as her acting idol.
- In 2007, her debut book, titled In the Frame: My Life in Words and Pictures“, was published by Orion Books in the UK and Simon & Schuster in the U.S.
- BBC’s Michael Parkinson gave her the name “the ‘s*x queen’ of the Royal Shakespeare Company” in 1975.
- She finds facial scars, particularly on men, fascinating, sexy, and mysterious.
- On May 11, 2010, Helen’s wax figurine at Madame Tussauds London was unveiled. The total cost of the figure was estimated to be £150,000 and took around 4 months to complete.
- In March 2013 edition of The Guardian, Helen was named as one of the fifty best-dressed people over 50s.
- Her choice of drink is vodka.
- Her hidden talent is that she can paint and is also a very good haircutter.
- Helen experiences great fear while on the airplane.
- Her earliest childhood memory includes the smell of chocolate when she was in Germany accompanying her father on a business trip. She was just 3 or 4 years then and had never had chocolate before.
- The traits that she deplores in herself is procrastination and intrinsic laziness.
- The trait that she deplores in others is meanness.
- Her most treasured possession is a little, gold-leafed, wooden Buddha.
- If she had a superpower, she would like it to be the ability to eat anything and never get fat.
- If she could bring something extinct back to life, she would bring back the beautiful animals that once shared this planet.
- Her fancy dress costume of choice would be something sparkly with a pink wig.
- Her guiltiest pleasure is watching Project Runway and America’s Next Top Model.
- The worst job that she has done is working in a department store.
- She believes that the ability to tele-transport from one country to another would improve the living condition of her life.
- She feels that her ability to work even after her 60s is her greatest achievement.
- Helen has worked as an associate producer for Some Mother’s Son (1996) and Painted Lady (1997).
- She is included in the list of many notable actresses that have won the Triple Crown of Acting, which are the Oscar, the Emmy, and the Tony awards.
- She supports numerous charities including Women For Women, Refuge, National Youth Theater, Meals On Wheels, Freedom From Torture, and Voluntary Responder Group.
- During the 2022 SAG Awards, Helen was honored with the “SAG Life Achievement Award”.
- Visit her official website @ helenmirren.com.
Featured Image by big-ashb / Flickr / CC BY 2.0