|Hugh Grant Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 11 in|
|Date of Birth||September 9, 1960|
Hugh John Mungo Grant
Hammersmith, London, England, United Kingdom
Hugh Grant began his education at the Hogarth Primary School. Then, he got enrolled at St Peter’s Primary School in Hammersmith.
After that, he moved to the prep school Wetherby School.
In 1969, he got admission at the independent Latymer Upper School. In 1979, he completed his school education and joined New College, Oxford on Galsworthy Scholarship. He graduated with a 2:1 honors in English literature.
Later, he had an offer to join the Courtauld Institute of Art, University of London to start Ph.D. studies in the history of art but he decided against it as he couldn’t secure a grant.
Actor, film producer
- Father – Captain James Murray Grant (Served in British Army and ran a carpet business)
- Mother – Fynvola Susan MacLean (School Teacher)
- Siblings – James Grant (Older Brother)
- Others – Colonel James Murray Grant (Paternal Grandfather) (Served in World War II), Jessie Hamilton Martin (Paternal Grandmother), Captain James Cassilis MacLean (Maternal Grandfather), Margaret Randolph (Maternal Grandmother)
Hugh Grant is represented by Underarm Services, Ltd.
He is also signed up with 42 West (Publicist).
5 ft 11 in or 180 cm
84 kg or 185 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Hugh Grant has dated –
- Liz Hurley (1987-2000) – Hugh Grant first met actress Liz Hurley while working in the Spanish production Remando Al Viento. Liz was cast as his character’s former love. Their love blossomed while working on the sets. Their relationship garnered a lot of attention from the British tabloids. In 1995, their relationship was again in the spotlight as Hugh was caught with a prostitute in his car by LA police. They managed to negotiate the rough phase and remained by each other’s side. Their 13 years old relationship came to an end in 2000 as they decided to separate amicably. He even served as godfather to her son, Damian Hurley, born in 2002.
- Divine Brown (1995) – Hugh had a steamy fling with prostitute Divine Brown in 1995. When they were accosted by LA police on Hollywood’s Sunset Boulevard, he was receiving oral s*x from her. She has managed to earn quite a livelihood by speaking to television networks and giving interviews to the newspaper about their affair.
- Caroline Stanbury (2000-2001) – Towards the end of 2000, Hugh was rumored to be going out with a former model and PR executive, Caroline Stanbury. They had gone on quite a number of dates before their relationship was discovered. Hugh’s hatred for paparazzi is almost legendary and Caroline believed that her previous relationship with Prince Andrew came to an end due to press exposure. Their relationship was exposed while attending a charity party at Knightsbridge. Subsequently, the fact that she was 16 years younger than him was widely discussed in tabloids.
- Sandra Bullock (2001) – Hugh dated his good friend Sandra Bullock in 2001. They had grown close while shooting for the romantic comedy, Two Weeks Notice. They dated for a couple of months but remained on good terms. She even sought his advice as her marriage with Jesse James crumbled in 2010 due to his infidelity.
- Martine McCutcheon (2003) – It was RUMORed that Hugh had started going out with actress Martine McCutcheon in 2003. He had reportedly fallen for her while filming as a reel life couple for the British romantic flick, Love Actually (2003).
- Dana Verbytska (2004) – Grant was reported to have had a fling with personal trainer Dana Verbytska in 2004. Hugh had met her at a gym in London and had promptly hired her as his personal trainer. Their fling was made public by her Brazilian barman boyfriend, who accused Grant of stealing his girlfriend. They were also spotted cruising along in London in his Bentley.
- Jemima Goldsmith (2004-2007) – In mid-2004, Jemima Khan had turned to Hugh for solace as her marriage to famous Pakistani cricketer Imran Khan collapsed. The rumors of their relationship first surfaced in May as they were pictured living in a high-profile club in London. By the end of the year, they had confirmed that they were indeed dating. In the summer of 2006, they had got engaged. By February 2007, they had decided to break up on good terms.
- Amber Sainsbury (2007) – Just after his breakup with Jemima, Hugh was reported to be going out with New Zealand actress Amber Sainsbury. They went out for just a couple of months. They were reported to be dating again in 2009.
- Drew Barrymore (2007) – Hugh Grant was RUMORed to be in a relationship with American actress Drew Barrymore in 2007. They had become more than co-stars while working in the rom-com flick, Music and Lyrics.
- Caroline Hargreaves (2007) – Grant had a flick with 20-year-old Norwegian student Caroline Hargreaves in October 2007. Grant had met her at a bar in St Andrews University in Scotland and had invited Caroline and her friends to a party. She had arrived at the university just a month ago as an international relations student and was clearly smitten with him at very first sight. They were pictured kissing and making out at the party.
- Catherine Fulmer (2008-2009) – Hugh started going out with American fashion designer Catherine Fulmer towards the end of 2008. She had accompanied him for a Mediterranean cruise, on which they were joined by his former girlfriend Liz Hurley and her then-husband Arun Nayar. In January, they were pictured getting cozy at the beach in New York’s Hamptons. Later, they were spotted at the Taste of Evian Polo event. He had even attended New York Fashion Week for her.
- Tinglan Hong (2011 and 2012) – Hugh had a fleeting affair with Chinese national Tinglan Hong in January 2011. Their brief affair led to Tinglan getting pregnant. In November 2011, she gave birth to a daughter, Xiao Xi. Grant in his appearance at Ellen’s show revealed that the meaning of his daughter’s name was ‘happy surprise.’ They got back in 2012 for a brief period of time, during which Grant again managed to knock her up. In February 2013, she gave birth to a son, Felix Chang.
- Elisa Schmidt (2011) – In November, Hugh hooked up with the 21-year-old singer Elisa Schmidt in Berlin. Oblivious of their 30-year-old age difference, they were spotted walking hand in hand in the shopping district and were then spotted kissing in the back seat of a taxi.
- Anna Eberstein (2011-Present) – Hugh started going out with television presenter Anna Eberstein somewhere towards the end of 2011. In September 2012, she gave birth to a son, John Mungo Grant. They had a brief break in their relationship as he got back with Tinglan Hong in 2012. However, they were soon back together. In 2014, some Swedish tabloids were reporting that they had broken up. However, they seemed very much together and she gave birth to their second child (Grant’s fourth in four years) in December 2015. He had also bought a house on Sweden’s south coast to be near to her family.
Race / Ethnicity
- Floppy hairdo
- English upper-class accent
Hugh Grant has been seen in a Guardian and Observer magazines advert.
Best Known For
- Having played a leading role in some of the cult romantic comedy movies such as Four Weddings and a Funeral (1994) and Notting Hill (1999).
- Having starred in successful and iconic period movies such as The Remains of the Day (1993) and Sense and Sensibility (1995).
In 1982, Hugh made his first film appearance in the role of Lord Adrian in Oxford Film Foundation movie, Privileged.
First TV Show
In 1985, Hugh made his TV show debut in the drama miniseries, The Detective.
To reverse signs of his advancing age, Hugh Grant started to practice Pilates by the end of 2009. It was his unflattering picture published by the newspapers that spurned him to adopt a more active lifestyle.
Also, in his younger days, he used to turn to celebrity trainer James Duigan to get his body in right shape or to prepare for specific movie roles. Earlier, he also used to go out for 45 minutes run at 5 AM. The morning runs often helped him calm down.
Hugh Grant Favorite Things
- Food – Curry
- Hobby – Playing golf
- His Own Movie – Four Weddings and a Funeral (1995)
- Cheese – Velveeta
- Soccer Club – Fulham FC
- Artist – Patrick Rondat
- Female Co–Stars – Sandra Bullock and Renée Zellweger
- Movies – The Way Ahead (1944), Zulu (1964), The Party (1968)
- Sports he likes to watch – Ladies Tennis
Hugh Grant Facts
- Initially, he didn’t consider acting anything more than a creative outlet and was only interested in working in local productions of popular plays.
- In 2007, he was arrested after he threw a tub of soaked beans on tabloid photographers. The charges were later dropped.
- In 1995, the Empire magazine had him in the 43rd position in the list featuring 100 Sexiest Stars in film history.
- In 1995, he was arrested by the authorities in Los Angeles after they found Hugh getting intimate with Divine Brown, a prostitute in the front seat of his car. He was charged with lewd conduct and handed two years’ probation and $1,180 fine after he pleaded no contest.
- When he was a teenager, he had a serious skating accident. Due to that accident, a part of a bone in the elbow is still detached from other bones.
- He was selected to play the role of Gilderoy Lockhart in Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. However, he had to withdraw himself from the project due to schedule conflicts.
- Before becoming a professional actor, he used to write comedy sketches for TV shows. He even worked in the position of the assistant groundsman at his favorite soccer club, Fulham FC.
- In 1996, Grant instructed his lawyers to file a lawsuit against Today newspaper after they falsely alleged that he had verbally abused a young extra on movie sets. He was awarded substantial damages for publication of the high defamatory article.
- In April 2011, he started his campaign against Robert Murdoch and his publications with an article in which he alleged Murdoch had ordered illegal phone hacking of celebrities’ cell phones and leading politicians such as David Cameron had tried to shield Murdoch from investigations.
- Hugh even presented a recorded evidence in form of his phone conversation with Paul McMullan, a former journalist for News of the World. He became a key figure in illegal phone hack scandal.
- While growing up, he used to play rugby, soccer, and cricket on his school’s team.
- Grant serves as a patron of the Fynvola Foundation, which is named after his mother. The foundation supports Lady Dane Farmhouse, which serves as a home for adults with learning disabilities.
- After his mother passed away due to pancreatic cancer in 2001, Grant started working with several cancer-related charities and foundations such as Pancreatic Cancer Action and Marie Curie Cancer Care.
- In 2001, he was voted in the 4th position in the Orange Film Survey for the Greatest British film actors.