|Huma Abedin Quick Info
|5 ft 9 in
|Date of Birth
|July 28, 1976
Huma Abedin is a political staffer and a paid consultant to Hillary Clinton. During the 2016 President of the United States elections, she served as the vice-chair for Hillary Clinton’s campaign for President.
Huma Mahmood Abedin
Kalamazoo, Michigan, United States
New York City, United States
When Huma was 2 years old, her family moved back to Jeddah in Saudi Arabia. Her parents continued to travel other countries to fulfill their academic pursuits and she got to get her schooling in part at an all-girls’ school in Great Britain.
For college education, Huma enrolled at George Washington University in Washington D.C to study for a Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism with a minor in Political Science.
Upon a friend’s recommendation, Huma applied for a White House internship to work for President Clinton’s press secretary, Mike McCurry but ended up working for the First Lady, Hillary Clinton.
- Hillary Clinton’s aide and personal advisor
- Paid consultant to Clinton Foundation
- Father – Syed Zainul Abedin (1928–1993) (Professor, Scholar of Islamic & Middle Eastern Studies)
- Mother – Saleha Mahmood Abedin (Sociology Professor / Dean at Dar Al-Hekma University, Jeddah, Saudi Arabia; Editor-in-Chief of Journal of Muslim Minority Affairs)
- Siblings – Hassan Abedin (Brother) (Scholar in Islamic Studies), Heba Abedin (Younger Sister) (PR, Fashion, and Social Media Consultant). She possibly has 1 more sibling whose identity is not confirmed.
- Others – Omar Amanat (Cousin), Irfan Amanat (Cousin), Mort Weiner (Father-in-Law) (Lawyer), Frances Finkelstein (Mother-in-Law) (High School Teacher), Jason Weiner (Brother-in-Law) (Chef and Restaurateur)
5 ft 9 in or 175 cm
57 kg or 126 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
- John Cusack – John is an American actor who had a short-term relationship with Huma.
- Anthony David Weiner (2008–2017) – Huma first met Anthony (former member of the US House of Representatives from New York’s 9th District) in 2001 at a Democratic National Committee retreat in Martha’s Vineyard. She was assisting Hillary Clinton during her first summer as a New York senator and was too focused on her work to notice or reciprocate Anthony’s interest and hence, declined to join his group for drinks at that retreat. Over the years, the two kept running into each other and Huma eventually got attracted to Anthony for his eloquent public speaking and passionate involvement in politics. In 2008, the couple started dating. They were engaged in 2009 and got married in 2010 in Long Island, New York. Their wedding ceremony was conducted by Bill Clinton himself while Hillary Clinton threw the couple an engagement party at her Washington home where she proclaimed Huma as her “second daughter.” Huma gave birth to a son named Jordan Zain Weiner in December 2011. From 2011 to 2016, Anthony Weiner was frequently featured in the tabloids for sending sexually explicit messages to multiple women including a minor. Even though he resigned from Congress in 2011, he continued to attract grave criticism and negative publicity. In September 2017, he was sentenced to 2 years in prison for exchanging obscene messages with a minor. For many years, Huma continued to hold on to her marriage for the sake of her son but finally released a statement declaring her separation in August 2016. She filed for divorce in May 2017 but withdrew her case in January 2018 with the intention to settle it privately hoping to protect her son from further embarrassment. In November 2021, it was revealed that their divorce was in its final stages.
- Bradley Cooper (2022) – In July 2022, it was reported that Huma was dating actor Bradley Cooper.
Race / Ethnicity
Both her parents were born and brought up in Colonial India. Her father is from New Delhi, India while her mother is from Pakistan.
- Long, slender face and body
- Sharp nose and prominent, big teeth
Her husband, Anthony Weiner was born and raised in a Jewish family.
Best Known For
- Being the Vice-chairman of Hillary Clinton’s 2016 campaign for President.
- In the 2007 issue of Vogue magazine, Rebecca Johnson called her “Hillary’s secret weapon”.
First TV Show
Huma was featured as a guest in one episode of Good Morning America in 2011.
In an interview with Vogue magazine, Huma confessed that she goes through phases when she starts her mornings by hitting the gym or going for a run/hike. However, the intensity of her professional life does not always allow consistent commitment to exercise.
She claims to be fond of food and contrary to what her slim almost gaunt appearance might convey, she looks forward to all her meals every day.
Huma is not particular about eating clean either. Especially in the middle of a political campaign, she is known to survive exclusively on pizza and multiple cups of coffee.
Huma Abedin Favorite Things
- Pleasure Foods – French Fries, Ice Cream
- TV Show – Veep
- Pantsuit Label – Argent
- Fashion Designers – Oscar de la Renta, Vera Wang, and Alexander McQueen
- Female Role Model – Jane Austen, Princess Diana, Audrey Hepburn
Huma Abedin Facts
- Huma and her siblings are known to have 54 first cousins.
- For many years, she served as the backup to Clinton’s personal aide. During a vacation to her home country, her name was often listed as Assistant Editor from 1996 to 2008 for the Journal of Muslim Minority Affairs, a publication founded by Huma’s late father.
- She started working for the Clinton office at the age of 19.
- Huma’s father was suffering from terminal kidney disease for many years. Hence, he provided his kids with a hyperactive lifestyle of frequent travel and intense learning which made Huma a self-reliant problem solver even before she was a teenager.
- Her ability to resolve problems is considered to be the major reason why Hillary Clinton relies upon Huma’s counsel for every major professional decision.
- As a teenager, Huma aspired to have a professional career similar to that of CNN’s British Iranian journalist, Christiane Amanpour.
- In 2010, TIME magazine included Huma’s name in the forty under 40 list of a ‘new generation of civic leaders’ and ‘rising stars of American politics.’
- Abedin was featured alongside Princess Olympia of Greece, Russian Model / Actress, Sasha Pivovarova and Fashion Editor Naty Abascal in the September issue of W magazine.
- Other than English, she fluently speaks Hindi, Urdu, and Arabic.
- Since very early in her career, Huma caught everybody’s attention for wearing designer couture. She admitted in an interview that she prefers wearing Chanel and Prada to Ann Taylor for everyday office wear.
- She is often spotted at the New York Fashion Week and stated that her secondary choice for a career would be in the fashion industry.
Featured Image by Maggie Hallahan / Flickr / CC BY-SA 4.0