|Ingrid Michaelson Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 5 in|
|Date of Birth||December 8, 1979|
Ingrid Michaelson has earned a dedicated fan following over the years for her folk and indie style music. Her songwriting ability is one of the finest in the folk music genre and has helped her carve a unique place in the industry. After having released her first 2 albums on her own, she signed a special record deal with Original Signal Recordings which entitles her to retain her creative freedom. She started earning mainstream success with the release of her 4th studio album, Everybody. Her next album, Human Again, was an even bigger commercial success. She also hit it big with The Human Again Tour which was sold out for almost every night.
Ingrid Ellen Michaelson
New York City, New York, United States
Ingrid Michaelson went to the Staten Island Technical High School. Then, she got enrolled at Binghamton University and graduated with a degree in theater.
Until the age of 7, she took music training from Manhattan’s Third Street Music School. She later honed her skills at Dorothy Delson Kuhn Music Institute at the Jewish Community Center of Staten Island.
- Father – Carl Michaelson (Music composer and manager of copyrights for the publishing company Carl Fischer Music)
- Mother – Elizabeth Egbert (Sculptor)
- Siblings – Charles Michaelson (Brother)
Ingrid Michaelson is represented by –
- Secret Road Artist Management
- Paradigm Talent Agency
Folk-Pop, Indie Pop, Indie Folk
Vocals, Guitar, Piano, Ukulele
Cabin 24, Mom + Pop Music
5 ft 5 in or 165 cm
52 kg or 114.5 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Ingrid Michaelson has dated –
- Greg Laswell (2009-2015) – Ingrid started going out with musician Greg Laswell in the summer of 2009. They got married in August 2011 in a low key and intimate wedding ceremony held in Maine. However, in February 2015, they released a statement revealing that they had officially divorced. Soon after, it was revealed that they had been living apart for months.
- Will Chase (2015-Present) – Michaelson started going out with actor Will Chase in the summer of 2015. They made their relationship public in July 2015 by walking the red carpet at the Lincoln Center Festival in New York City.
Race / Ethnicity
She has Swedish ancestry on her father’s side while she is of Dutch descent on her mother’s side.
She often wears black rimmed glasses.
In 2013, Coca-Cola created a TV commercial which included Ingrid Michaelson’s song, Be Ok. Her songs and music have been used in TV adverts for several other brands such as Old Navy and Extra Gum. She has also appeared in a TV advert for Tropicana.
Best Known For
- The commercial success of her singles such as Maybe, Girls Chase Boys, and The Way I Am
- The popularity of her studio album, Human Again, which made its debut on the Billboard charts at the 5th spot
- Having collaborated with established music artists such as William Fitzsimmons, Allie Moss, Bess Rogers, and Sara Bareilles
In January 2005, she released her debut studio album, Slow the Rain. As she couldn’t find any suitable record label to release her work, she decided to release the album on her own.
In 2017, she made her theatrical film debut in the comedy movie, Humor Me. She was cast in an important role in the movie which was premiered at the Los Angeles Film Festival and received positive reviews from the critics.
First TV Show
In 2007, Ingrid Michaelson made her first TV show appearance on the show, Good Morning America.
Ingrid Michaelson Favorite Things
- Food – Fries and Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Celebrity – Taylor Swift
- Comforting Songs – Hide And Seek by Imogen, In This Heart by Sinead, Better Man by Pearl Jam
- Songwriters – Foy Vance, Justin Vernon, Sia, Greg Laswell, Paul McCartney
Source – Reddit
Ingrid Michaelson Facts
- She irked her loyal fans by claiming on Twitter that her best-selling songs are her least favorite songs and was heavily criticized by many.
- She started learning piano at the age of 4.
- While studying at Binghamton University, she was a member of the co-ed a cappella group called Binghamtonics. She was also a member of the improv comedy group called Pappy Parker Players.
- While growing up, she worked with a musical theatre group, Kids on Stage. Later, she performed with the theatre repertory company under Sue Peters at the university.
- In 2006, she released her second album, Girls and Boys, independently and streamed it on Myspace. The album was discovered by a music producer from the ABC drama Grey’s Anatomy who got in touch with her. Soon after, she was contacted by several recording companies.
- As she wanted to retain the rights and creative control of her music, she reached a special deal with Original Signal Recordings because of which Original Signal assumed the responsibility of marketing and distribution of her music while her own label took care of the production.
- Soon after, her album, Girls and Boys, was re-released by Original Signal Recordings as a mainstream work. The album managed to peak at the 63rd spot on the Billboard charts.
- In 2014, she had to battle a couple of health problems as she struggled with stomach and throat ailments.
- Visit her official website @ ingridmichaelson.com.
- Follow Ingrid Michaelson on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, and Myspace.
Featured Image by True Endeavors / Darren Lee Photography / CC BY-SA 4.0