|Jack O’Connell Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 8 in|
|Date of Birth||August 1, 1990|
Jack O’Connell is a British actor best known for portraying the characters like James Cook on Skins, Eric Love on the British prison crime drama film Starred Up, Gary Hook in British historical thriller film ’71. He has also made appearances in numerous theatrical productions like Cat on a Hot Tin Roof. He has a huge social media fan base with more than 200k followers on Instagram.
Alvaston, Derby, Derbyshire, England, United Kingdom
London, England, United Kingdom
Jack attended the Saint Benedict Catholic Voluntary Academy.
- Father – Johnny Patrick O’Connell (Worked in British Railways)
- Mother – Alison O’Connell (Son’s Manager, Formerly worked at British Midland Airways)
- Siblings – Megan O’Connell (Younger Sister) (Actress)
- Others – Kenneth Harold Gutteridge (Maternal Grandfather) (Footballer), Joan Southall (Maternal Grandmother)
Jack is represented by Don Buchwald & Associates L.A.
5 ft 8 in or 173 cm
74 kg or 163 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Jack has dated –
- Kaya Scodelario (2007-2009) – Jack got romantically involved with his co-star Kaya Scodelario in 2007. The couple broke up in 2009, the reason being Jack’s confession about not being a suitable boyfriend for Kaya. She revealed in an interview that the breakup made her miserable and she spent a whole week crying in her room.
- Tulisa Contostavlos (2012) – In 2012, Jack was rumored to be dating X-Factor judge Tulisa Contostavlos. Tulisa hinted on their hookup by a series of tweets. The couple, however, broke up 3 months later.
- Cara Delevingne (2014) – In 2014, Jack and model Cara Delevingne were rumored to be dating after they met on the sets of movie Tulip Fever. Later, it was revealed that they were just hanging out and there was nothing serious.
Race / Ethnicity
He has Irish ancestry on his father’s side and is of English descent on his mother’s side.
Jack has not done endorsement work for any brand yet.
Best Known For
- Portraying the character of James Cook on Skins, an E4 teen series, from 2009 to 2010
- Playing roles such as Eric Love on the British prison crime drama film Starred Up, Gary Hook in British historical thriller film ’71, and Louis Zamperini in Angelina Jolie‘s film Unbroken
Jack made his theatrical film debut in This Is England where he played the role of Pukey Nicholls in 2007.
First TV Show
Jack’s first TV show appearance was in Doctors where he portrayed the role of Connor Yates in 2005.
While shooting for the film Unbroken where he played an emaciated former Olympic-winning athlete who turned prisoner of war, Jack was on a strict diet. As per an interview, he survived on just 400 calories a day.
Jack O’Connell Favorite Things
Source – i-D Magazine, IMDb
Jack O’Connell Facts
- He wanted to make a career in professional football growing up just like his grandfather who was also a professional footballer and manager for Burton Albion Football Club.
- He was scouted by the Derby County after playing as a striker for Alvaston Rangers, but a series of injuries ended that career path for him.
- After football, he wanted to join the army at a time but that too did not work out.
- He once took a drama class in secondary school and apparently fell in love with acting. His teacher encouraged him to attend a television workshop in Nottingham.
- It was in Nottingham that he met director Shane Meadows who went on to cast him in his first movie This Is England.
- He dropped out of school at the age of 16.
- In an interview, he revealed that he had a somewhat fierce relationship with his father that would result in physical fights sometimes.
- His father died of pancreatic cancer when he was 18 years old and on his deathbed, he made Jack promise that he would take care of the family.
- According to Jack, he is more like his father than anybody else. He stated that he feels like he is the reincarnation of his father.
- He is good friends with Joe Dempsie and George Clooney.
- Follow him on Instagram.
Featured Image by Eva Rinaldi / Flickr / CC BY-SA 2.0