|Jeon So-mi Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 8 in|
|Date of Birth||March 9, 2001|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Jeon So-mi is a Korean-Canadian singer, songwriter, actress, TV host, and model who is known for making her debut with the South Korean girl group, I.O.I, after she wrapped up her journey on the Mnet’s survival reality program, Produce 101, securing the first place. The other members of the group were Lim Na-young, Kim Chung-ha, Kim Se-jeong, Jung Chae-yeon, Zhou Jieqiong, Kim So-hye, Yoo Yeon-jung, Choi Yoo-jung, Kang Mi-na, and Kim Do-yeon and they released their debut EP, Chrysalis, on May 4, 2016. However, Jeon So-mi later left the girl group which eventually got disbanded on January 29, 2017. Later on, she also became a member of another girl group named Girls Next Door which released its debut song, Deep Blue Eyes, on June 14, 2017. After having been associated with JYP Entertainment, Jeon So-mi finally left the label and became a part of The Black Label. She made her solo debut with her single, Birthday, that gained positive response from the audience. Other than her pursuits as a singer, she has also been cast as an actress, contestant, as well as a host on a number of projects which include the likes of Ode to My Father, Produce 101, Sister’s Slam Dunk Season 2, Sixteen, 26th Seoul Music Awards, Music Bank World Tour: Berlin, The Show, Produce 48, and Idol Drama Operation Team. Jeon So-mi has also won many awards and nominations such as the Korea First Brand Award and M2 X Genie Music Award. Her accolades also include modeling in a campaign alongside the likes of Gigi Hadid and Ariana Grande. Moreover, Jeon So-mi also enjoys an impressive fan base on social media with more than 7 million followers on Instagram where she has uploaded a large number of her pictures and videos.
Ennik Somi Douma
Jeon So-mi, Vitamin, Maknae on top, Somi
Jeon So-mi got enrolled at Cheongdam Middle School which is a public high school located in Seoul, South Korea and graduated from there in February 2017. Later, she joined Hanlim Multi Art School which is an arts high school located in Songpa District, Seoul, South Korea and majored in Practical Music and Vocal.
Additionally, she has also taken taekwondo lessons at Midong Elementary School.
Singer, Songwriter, Actress, TV Host, Model
- Father – Matthew Douma (Actor, Photojournalist, Educational Writer, Former Model)
- Mother – Jeon Sun-hee
- Sibling – Evelyn (Younger Sister)
- Others – Alex Douma (Paternal Grandfather), Felix Johan Douma (Paternal Grandfather, Alex’s Older Brother) (Scholar, Writer, Teacher, Cellist, Translator. He also served as Canada’s Third Secretary and Vice-Consul to the Dominican Republic), Sjoeke Tjerk “George” Douma (Paternal Great Grandfather), Feike Douma (Paternal Great Great Grandfather), Christina Anna Lenis (Paternal Great Great Grandmother), Johanna Wijnja (Paternal Great Grandmother), Ulbe Reinders Wijnja (Paternal Great Great Grandfather), Anna Smit (Paternal Great Great Grandmother), Judy Pearse (Paternal Grandmother), James Fairbairn “Fair” Pearse (Paternal Great Grandfather), Thomas Cephas Pearse (Paternal Great Great Grandfather), Minnie Dickson (Paternal Great Great Grandmother), Viola Mae “Vi” Axton (Paternal Great Grandmother), Ralph E. “Huppy” Axton (Paternal Great Great Grandfather), Nellie Myrtle Smith (Paternal Great Great Grandmother), George Siple (Nellie’s Paternal Great Grandfather)
Jeon So-mi is represented by The Black Label.
JYP Entertainment Corporation (Former), The Black Label
5 ft 8 in or 173 cm
50 kg or 110 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Jeon So-mi has revealed that she dated a boy while she was in middle school but later ended-up getting dumped by him. She believes that the reason behind it was that she did not express herself very well when they were dating. Later, the same guy ended up dating one of Jeon So-mi’s friends.
Race / Ethnicity
Mixed (Asian and White)
Jeon So-mi has Korean roots on her mother’s side and is of Cornish, English, Scottish, German, and Frisian (Dutch) descent on her father’s side.
- Toned physique
- Pouty lips
- Pierced ears
- Often sports forehead bangs
Jeon So-mi has been a part of several brand endorsements such as –
- Fanta (July 2017)
- Reebok Classic SS18 campaign, “Always Classic” (January 2018) (Alongside the likes of Ariana Grande, Rae Sremmurd, Gigi Hadid)
- ABC Mart’s shoe brand Nuovo (February 2019)
- Beanpole Sports (March 2019) (Alongside singer and actor, Ong Seong-wu)
Moreover, Jeon So-mi became an International Ambassador for The Wetskills Foundation on September 25, 2018, and was later appointed as the brand ambassador for the cosmetics brand, Shiseido Korea, on May 20, 2019.
In February 2022, she was named the brand ambassador for Converse. She has also served as an ambassador for The North Face.
Jeon had done modeling work for Nongshim‘s ‘Petit Paris Rollbread’ in the past.
Best Known For
- Being a former member of the girl group formed by CJ E&M, I.O.I, which made its debut on May 4, 2016, with the EP titled Chrysalis that consisted of songs such as Knock Knock Knock, Dream Girls, When the Cherry Blossoms Fade, Crush, Pick Me, and others. The EP was also ranked at number #4 in South Korea (Gaon Album Chart) and at number #5 in Taiwan (FIVE-MUSIC Album Chart).
- Appearing on the KBS’s web entertainment show, Idol Drama Operation Team, whose cast members later collaborated to form the girl group named Girls Next Door
- Having been cast in a number of shows such as Sixteen, Sister’s Slam Dunk Season 2, and Produce 101
- Having worked as a hostess on a number of occasions which include the 26th Seoul Music Awards, The Show, Music Bank World Tour: Berlin, and Produce 48
- Winning the Korea First Brand Award in 2017
- Having garnered a huge social media fan base with more than 7 million followers on Instagram
As a Singer
She released her debut solo single, Birthday, on June 13, 2019, via The Black Label and it was ranked at number #5 in the US World Digital Song Sales (Billboard) chart, at number #18 in South Korea (K-pop Hot 100) chart, at number #20 in Malaysia (RIM) chart, at number #22 in South Korea (Gaon) chart, and at number #28 in New Zealand Hot Singles (RMNZ) chart.
In October 2021, she released her debut solo album titled XOXO. The album peaked at No. 43 on the Gaon Digital Chart and No. 185 on the Billboard Global 200 chart.
Jeon So-mi made her first theatrical film appearance by playing the role of Mak-soon Yoon’s oldest daughter in the South Korean drama film, Ode to My Father, in 2014. Directed by Yoon Je-kyoon, the other cast members were Hwang Jung-min, Yunjin Kim, Oh Dal-su, Jung Jin-young, Jang Young-nam, Ra Mi-ran, Kim Seul-gi, Maeng Se-chang, Evelyn Douma, and several others.
Jeon So-mi stays fit by working out on a regular basis and has often shared her work out pictures on Instagram as well. Usually, she indulges in some Pilate lessons to achieve a stronger and toner body.
As far as her diet is concerned, before making her debut, Jeon So-mi lost around 10 kgs or 22 lbs and during the process of weight loss, she used to eat only one banana for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. She has also confessed that the diet was pretty hard to follow at first but gradually, she got used to it and even goes back to it every now and then if she feels the need.
Jeon So-mi Facts
- After a year of her birth, Jeon So-mi’s family shifted from Canada to South Korea.
- She had to struggle a bit during her younger years because as she was of mixed ethnicity, she was often bullied by other children. She has even said that at one point in time, she wanted to undergo plastic surgery just so that she could appear more Korean.
- While growing up, one of the many things that she aspired to do when she was older was to become a stewardess.
- In the year 2013, Jeon So-mi was cast alongside South Korean comedian and radio presenter, Park Joon-hyung, to appear on the Children’s Day Special of the sports variety program, Let’s Go! Dream Team Season 2, that aired on KBS2. She was featured as the representative of the Midong Elementary School’s Taekwondo demonstration team.
- Walking in the footsteps of her father, she has been a taekwondo third-degree black belt holder.
- Jeon So-mi became a part of JYP Entertainment (JYPE) in the year 2014 after she auditioned with 2NE1‘s song titled Lonely. Soon after, she was also cast in the music video for GOT7‘s Stop Stop It alongside the other trainees.
- She appeared as a contestant on the Mnet reality girl group survival show, Sixteen, in May 2015. The show was designed to select the members, out of the 16 contestants, of JYP Entertainment’s next girl group, after Miss A, whose name was later revealed to be TWICE. However, Jeon So-mi could not make it to the final members of TWICE because she was eliminated in the last round and, therefore, had to further continue her training period with the label.
- In January 2016, she appeared on another Mnet girl group survival reality show, Produce 101, representing JYP Entertainment. Jeon So-mi topped the final charts of the show with a total of 858,333 votes and became a part of the girl group named I.O.I which made its debut on May 4, 2016, and included other 10 members, namely, Lim Na-young, Kim Chung-ha, Kim Se-jeong, Jung Chae-yeon, Zhou Jieqiong, Kim So-hye, Yoo Yeon-jung, Choi Yoo-jung, Kang Mi-na, and Kim Do-yeon.
- She is a big fan of the girl group, 2NE1, which comprises of Bom, Dara, CL, and Minzy. Moreover, she has also credited Minzy as her role model.
- Jeon So-mi has said that when she initially met GOT7‘s JB, he scared her a little.
- She enjoys collecting socks which also happens to be one of her hobbies alongside shopping, walking alone, cooking, and searching for good music and good restaurants.
- She is scared of going to abandoned/haunted places.
- The singer, actress, and former member of the girl group I.O.I, Kim Sejeong, has said that Jeon So-mi has the best physique out of all the I.O.I members.
- She likes a couple of boy bands such as Big Bang, GOT7, and EXO.
- She refers to her fans and supporters as Som-taengs and Som-mungchis.
- Jeon So-mi has also appeared in 2PM‘s Jun. K‘s From November to February.
- She shares a friendly bond with TWICE‘s members, especially Chaeyoung. Also, she has been friends with GFRIEND‘s Umji, AB6IX‘s Daehwi and Park Woojin, Kim Donghyun, and with CLC‘s Eunbin.
- She has also hosted the SBS MTV music television program, The Show, alongside UP10TION‘s Wooshin.
- On January 9, 2017, Jeon So-mi signed a deal with JYP Entertainment for solo activities regarding TV appearances and soon after that, she appeared as a lead cast member on the reality show, Sister’s Slam Dunk 2, alongside Kim Sook, Hong Jin-kyung, Kang Ye-won, Han Chae-young, Hong Jin-young, and Minzy. Later, the project girl group released its lead singles Right? and Lalala Song.
- Her collaborative digital single, titled You, Who?, along with singer, songwriter, and host, Eric Nam, was released on March 9, 2017.
- JYP Entertainment made it public on August 20, 2018, that after mutual agreement, Jeon So-mi had terminated her contract with the label, thus leaving it. After that, she signed an exclusive contract with the YG Entertainment’s subsidiary label The Black Label. The same label has also signed with the well-known South Korean hip hop and R&B singer, Zion.T.
- In 2019, she was nominated for an M2 X Genie Music Award in “The Female New Artist” category.
- Jeon So-mi has also tried veganism.
- She likes to do the impression of an eating giraffe.
- She has cats named Cheese and Cookie.
- In July 2020, she released a new single titled What You Waiting For.
- Jeon released a new song titled Dumb Dumb in July 2021, which peaked at No. 8 on the Gaon Digital Chart. The music video of the song gained more than 10 million views in under 24 hours on YouTube and 20 million views in 2 days.
- In October 2021, she was named the public relations ambassador of the Ministry of Culture, Sports, and Tourism.
- In August 2023, Jeon released a new solo EP titled Game Plan.
- Follow Jeon So-mi on Instagram and Spotify.
Featured Image by Hey Day / Tistory.com / CC BY 4.0