Jessica Phyllis Lange
Cloquet, Minnesota, USA
Jessica completed her studies at Cloquet High School. She joined the University of Minnesota in 1967 to study art and photography under a scholarship. In between that she got married and moved to Paris.
It was in Paris that she studied mime theater under the supervision of Etienne Decroux. She also joined the Opera-Comique as a dancer.
Actress, Model, Singer, and Photographer
- Father – Albert John Lange (Teacher and Traveling salesman)
- Mother – Dorothy Florence (Housewife)
- Siblings – Ann Lange (Older Sister), Jane Lange (Older Sister), George Lange (Younger Brother)
- Others – George Oscar Alexander Lange (Paternal Grandfather), Tena Trientje Eitens (Paternal Grandmother), George Ilmar Sahlman (Maternal Grandfather), Lillian Elvira Buskala (Maternal Grandmother)
Jessica is represented by Brian Swardstrom, Untitled Entertainment, Talent Management Company, Beverly Hills, California, USA.
R&B, Rock, and Jazz
5 ft 8 in or 173 cm
63 kg or 139 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Jessica Lange has dated –
- Paco Grande (1970s) – Jessica met Spanish photographer Paco at the University of Minnesota and they started dating. In 1971, they got married and Jessica left college to follow a bohemian life traveling around the country and Mexico in a minivan with Paco. Jessica pursued her own interest in Paris. It was only in 1981, that they were legally divorced.
- Bob Fosse (1970s) – Jessica was linked with Bob during the 1970s for a short while. Bob was an American dancer, musical theatre choreographer, director, screenwriter, film director, and actor. He passed away on September 23, 1987.
- Mikhail Baryshnikov (1976-1982) – Mikhail is a Russian and American dancer, choreographer, and actor. When they first met, Mikhail hardly spoke English. They communicated in French. They have a daughter together named, Aleksandra “Shura” Baryshnikov (born in 1981).
- Sam Shepard (1982–2009) – Jessica met American playwright, actor, author, screenwriter, and director, Sam on the set of the film Frances in 1982. In December 1983, while they were shooting for Country (1984) in Iowa, Sam proposed to Jessica. Though Jessica accepted, they never got married. They lived together in New York City before separating in 2009. They bore two children, Hannah Jane (born in 1985) and Samuel Walker Shepard (born in 1987). Sam passed away on July 27, 2017, in Midway, Kentucky.
Race / Ethnicity
She has Finnish, Dutch and German ancestry.
In February 2014, Jessica became the new face of Marc Jacobs Beauty brand.
She doesn’t follow any set religion but, she periodically practices Buddhism.
Best Known For
- Her award-winning performance as Julie Nichols/Nurse Charles in the 1982 film Tootsie.
- Her performance as the troubled actress Frances Farmer in the award-winning role in Frances (1982).
- Playing the lead role in the American Horror Story TV series created by Ryan Murphy and Brad Falchuk.
As a Singer
- She started singing professionally in 2009.
- Jessica provided her vocals for songs for the HBO film Grey Gardens.
- She has contributed her voice to the FX series American Horror Story too.
First TV Show
In 1977, she made her TV show debut as a guest on The Mike Douglas Show.
Jessica’s workout routine and diet plan aren’t available.
Jessica Lange Favorite Things
- Place – Scotland
- Novelist – Émile Zola
- American Horror Story Season – Freak Show (4th Season)
- Co-star – Kim Stanley
- Places To Nap – A hammock and a daybed
Jessica Lange Facts
- She is a vegetarian.
- She wanted to be a painter before becoming an actress.
- Jessica worked as a model for the Wilhelmina Modeling Agency.
- In 1973, she worked as a waitress at the Lion’s Head Tavern in Greenwich Village, New York.
- She has been through a phase of depression but never believed in seeking therapy for it.
- Jessica has published several collections of her pictures. In 2008, it was published under the title 50 Photographs, a black and white collection. In 2010, it was a collection titled In Mexico and in 2013, she presented a children’s picture book called It’s About a Little Bird.
- She became UNICEF’s Goodwill Ambassador on June 2, 2003, focusing on HIV/AIDS and immunization.
- She supports the Buddhist monks in Nepal in their cause.
- Jessica has been vocal about “ageism” in Hollywood, pointing out that it works with a male point of view.
- She has 2 granddaughters from her daughter Aleksandra and her husband, named Adah and Ilse Bryan.
- She has a tattoo of a crescent moon on her hip, which she got at the age of 19 in Paris.
- In 2016, she became the 22nd thespian to receive the Triple Crown of Acting in the history of American entertainment.
- She is not active on any social media site.
Featured Image by diChroma Photography / Wikimedia / CC BY-SA 3.0