|John Mulaney Quick Info|
|Date of Birth||August 26, 1982|
John Mulaney is an American stand-up comedian who earned his break in the entertainment industry as a sketch writer for Saturday Night Live. In 2014, he bagged a short-lived deal with Fox Network to produce, write, and create a sitcom named Mulaney that was loosely based on his life. He found great success with his stand-up specials broadcast on Netflix and is the voice of Andrew Glouberman in the Netflix original animated show, Big Mouth. He has a huge social media fan base with more than 2.5 million followers on Instagram and more than 1.5 million followers on Twitter.
John Edmund Mulaney
Chicago, Illinois, United States
Los Angeles, California, United States
John studied at St. Clement School in Lincoln Park, Chicago followed by St. Ignatius College Prep from where he graduated in 2000. He later got enrolled at Georgetown University for a Bachelor’s Degree in English Literature and Religion and graduated in 2004.
Stand-up Comedian, Actor, Executive Producer, Comedy Writer, Voice-over Artist
- Father – Charles William Mulaney Jr. aka Chip (Attorney, Partner at Skadden Arps)
- Mother – Ellen M. Stanton (Law Professor at North Western University)
- Siblings – Carolyn Mulaney (Older Sister) (Pre-Kindergarten Teacher at Immaculate Conception – St. Joseph School), Chip Mulaney (Older Brother), Peter Martin Mulaney (Younger Brother) (Deceased), Claire Mulaney (Younger Sister)
- Others – Charles William Mulaney Sr. (Paternal Grandfather) (Vice president and former director of Walgreen Co.), Elizabeth/Beth McLaughlin (Paternal Grandmother), Edmund Bertman Stanton, Jr. (Maternal Grandfather), Carolyn Ann Bates (Maternal Grandmother), George Joseph Bates (Maternal Great Grandfather) (Former US Congressman from Massachusetts from 1937 to 1949), William Henry Bates (Maternal Great Uncle) (Former US Congressman from Massachusetts from 1950 to 1969), Lucinda Gryzenia (Sister-in-law)
John Mulaney is represented by –
- William Morris Endeavor (WME)
- 3 Arts Entertainment
- Schreck Rose (Attorney)
6 ft or 183 cm
75 kg or 165.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
John Mulaney has dated –
- Annamarie Tendler (2012–Present) – Mulaney is married to a make-up artist, hairstylist, and author Annamarie Tendler. He first met her at the age of 26 through mutual friends while attending a group vacation at Martha’s Vineyard in Massachusetts. During the drive back home, Annamarie was on the wheel while Mulaney got in the passenger seat. He kept her entertained with his sense of humor, and Annamarie knew they would start dating soon after. In February 2010, she even predicted that she would marry John even though the couple had not started dating yet. The comedian announced his relationship in January 2012 during an interview without naming Annamarie. The couple got married on July 5, 2014, in Boiceville, New York. The 1920s woodland-deco theme inspired their wedding event. Since John is Catholic and Annamarie is Jewish, they asked their comedian friend, Dan Levy to officiate the ceremony.
Race / Ethnicity
He has Irish and 1/8th German ancestry.
- Chicago Accent
- Small, hooded eyes
- Boyish appearance owing to a lean face and build
11.5 (US) or 10.5 (UK) or 44.5 (EU)
In 2017, he was cast in As Real as It Gets campaign of Chipotle with comedians Sam Richardson and Jillian Bell.
Mulaney was raised as a Catholic Christian and served as an altar boy for 4 years.
As an adult, the comedian is non-religious.
Best Known For
- Being a comedy sketch writer for Saturday Night Live (SNL)
- His stand-up specials The Comeback Kid (2015) for which he was nominated for a Primetime Emmy Award in 2016 and Kid Gorgeous at Radio City (2018), that won him the Primetime Emmy Award in 2019 in the category of “Outstanding Writing for a Variety Special”
As a voice actor, he made his theatrical film debut by lending his voice to the character of Spider-Ham in the animated movie Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse in 2018.
First TV Show
He made his TV show debut as Dory Van Hoorn in Jump Cuts in 2004.
As a voice actor, he made his TV show debut on Atom TV in 2008.
Once he found success working for Saturday Night Live, John became more disciplined. He restricted the consumption of junk food and started seeing a female trainer twice a week while he lived in New York City.
John told during an interview that the primary reason he hired a female trainer was that he was physically weak and was embarrassed to train in front of a man.
The comedian is fond of coffee.
John Mulaney Favorite Things
- Reality Home Renovation Show – Property Brothers
- Podcast (2014) – The Champs hosted by Neal Brennan and Moshe Kasher, You Made it Weird by Pete Holmes, Bret Easton Ellis’s podcast
- Comedy Albums – Baby Cobra (2016) by Ali Wong, Glorious (1997) by Eddie Izzard, Mike Nichols and Elaine May Examine Doctors (1961) by Nichols and May, It’s a Slippery Slope (1998) by Spalding Gray, About Got Damn Time (2005) by Earthquake
- SNL Stefon Sketch – Three screaming babies in Mozart Wigs
- Memory While Working At SNL – Late nights writing with Marika Sawyer and Simon Rich
- New Yorker – Simon Rich
- NYC Restaurant – Dell’Anima
- Dessert – Ice-cream
- Medication – Tylenol PM
- News Publication – The New York Post
- Columnist / Journalist – Andrea Peyser
- Seafood Restaurant – Bubba Gump Shrimp Co. at 44th Street and Broadway
- TV Show – Law and Order: Special Victims Unit
John Mulaney Facts
- Both his parents were classmates of the 42nd President of the United States, Bill Clinton while studying at Georgetown University and Yale Law School. John got to meet the former President at the age of 10 in 1992.
- He found the inspiration to work in show business for the first time at the age of 5 while watching the character of Ricky Ricardo in I Love Lucy (1951–1957).
- When he was 7 years old, his parents were offered the opportunity to audition John for Macaulay Culkin’s iconic role of Kevin in Home Alone (1990), but they declined.
- At the age of 7, John first performed in a sketch comedy group and got paid 2 dollars for his work.
- While studying in junior high school, John did not like writing school reports and preferred to present the information he had learned in the form of a skit to the class enacted with the help of his best friend, John O’Brien.
- Mulaney got cast in the campus improv group by his senior Nick Kroll. He befriended him and Mike Birbiglia there and started writing and performing monologues.
- After completing his education, John moved to New York City and got hired as an office assistant at Comedy Central for his first job.
- In his early 20s, John got addicted to alcohol. He started drinking to the point of a blackout every night of the week. At the age of 23, he decided to quit. He initiated the change by ending his social life. The absence of alcohol and social events renewed his focus in writing and performing comedy and helped him to maintain his sobriety without temptation.
- As a child, John was also a frequent visitor of the Museum of Broadcast Communications where he liked to watch archived episodes of I Love Lucy and The Tonight Show starring Johnny Carson.
- Mulaney loves reading and one of his earliest fantasies for a dream job was to work at Barnes & Noble. However, he got rejected when he applied there for a job much to his disappointment.
- He is an avid collector of stand-up comedy albums since the 1990s and owns stand-up commentaries from as far back as the 50s, 60s, and 70s.
- For a short while, John worked as a commentator on Vh1’s Best Week Ever before auditioning for Saturday Night Live with Nick Kroll and T.J. Miller in August 2008. He did not become a cast member but was offered a spot in the writing team. However, he also got a chance to perform in front of the camera on the show’s Weekend Update.
- With his colleague, Bill Hader, Mulaney co-created the recurring flamboyant SNL character of Stefon Meyers.
- He won his first Primetime Emmy Award in 2011 for “Outstanding Music and Lyrics” shared with Seth Meyers, Katreese Barnes, and Justin Timberlake for writing the content of Justin’s monologue delivered by him when he hosted SNL.
- In 2013, John and Annamarie adopted a female French bulldog and named her Petunia. They dedicated an Instagram page to her that gained a substantial following over time.
- Mulaney confessed that he was addicted to Twitter in 2013 and would spend hours going through it. His obsession got so bad that he had to put someone else in charge of his Twitter account and had to ask them for a password whenever he wanted to access his account.
- From 2014 to 2015, John created, produced and wrote a semi-autobiographical 13 episode sitcom named after his last name, Mulaney. The show got canceled because it did not receive good reviews and appeared to be an imitation of Seinfeld.
- While accepting The Mark Twain Prize for American Humor in 2017, David Letterman called John Mulaney…. “the future of comedy..”
- He always dresses in a formal suit while performing on stage to look different from the audience that came to see him.
- In December 2020, it was revealed that he had reportedly entered a rehab facility for cocaine and alcohol addiction.
- From February to December 2020, he was investigated by the Secret Service for some of the jokes that he made on Saturday Night Live which were directed to Donald Trump.
Featured Image by DoD News / Flickr / CC BY-2.0