|Kelly Slater Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 9 in|
|Date of Birth||February 11, 1972|
Kelly Slater is an American professional surfer, model, businessman, author, and environmental activist who is best known for his overall achievements and contributions in the world of surfing. He has long built his reputation as a professional surfer by holding an unmatched 11 world surfing championships in his entire playing career. Before fame, Slater grew up nearby the water which fueled his interest in surfing at the age of 5. In 1984, he finally won his first age-division United States championship title and 2 years after his first victory, he attended the junior division of the World Amateur Championships in England during which he finished 3rd.
A year after, he won the Pacific Cup junior championship which was held in Australia. He turned professional in 1990 but struggled during the first 2 years. He won his first professional event at the Rip Curl Pro held in France at the age of 20, making him the youngest surfing world champion in history. After finishing the 1993 rankings at 6th and winning the world tour championship from 1994 to 1998, he took a break from joining surfing competitions by the end of 1998. Following his short-term hiatus, Slater started to compile outstanding ranking records and multiple wins from 1999 to 2018.
Robert Kelly Slater
The Michael Jordan of Surfing, Slats
Cocoa Beach, Florida, United States
- California, United States
- Hawaii, United States
- Cocoa Beach, Florida, United States
Professional Surfer, Model, Actor, Author, Environmental Activist
- Father – Stephen Hill Slater (Bait Store Proprietor)
- Mother – Judith Ann Moriarity
- Others – Burney Parker Slater (Paternal Grandfather), Millison Slayton Ranney (Paternal Grandmother), William Bryant Moriarity (Maternal Grandfather), and Helen Amin (Maternal Grandmother)
Kelly Slater is represented by his own foundation Kelly Slater Foundation, Santa Monica, California, United States.
5 ft 9 in or 175 cm
72 kg or 159 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Kelly Slater has dated –
- Pamela Anderson (1998-2000) – Kelly Slater started dating actress-model and Baywatch co-star, Pamela Anderson in 1998. They separated in April 2000.
- Gisele Bundchen (2005-2006) – He reportedly dated model-actress Gisele Bundchen from 2005 to 2006.
- Cameron Diaz (2007) – Reports had claimed that Kelly Slater and Cameron Diaz briefly dated sometime in 2007. But the rumored couple had never admitted the real score of their brewing romance at the time.
- Kalani Miller – Kelly Slater is dating a non-showbiz girl named Kalani Miller. By the looks of their Instagram, the lovebirds seem to enjoy their common interest together which is surfing. On July 25, 2019, Slater posted a series of photos of them together with their pup which he paired with a brief but sweet birthday greeting for his other half.
Race / Ethnicity
Multiracial (White and Middle Eastern)
He has Syrian-Lebanese, English, Irish, German, Scotts-Irish/Northern Irish ancestry.
- Tanned Skin
- Toned Physique
- Greek Nose Type
- Long Jawline
Kelly Slater has done endorsement works for brands and companies such as –
- Daphne’s California Greek
- COBRA PUMA
- The Chia Co.
Best Known For
- His overall achievements and contributions to the surfing industry
- Compiling an unrivaled 11 world surfing championships recorded in his entire playing career
In 2001, Kelly Slater made his theatrical film debut as the Jeep Owner in the comedy-crime film One Night at McCool’s.
First TV Show
In 1992, he made his first TV show appearance as Jimmy Slade in the action-adventure series Baywatch.
Unlike many athletes and professional sports players who would usually go through immense workouts and diets just to stay fit, healthy, and be able to achieve their weight goals, Kelly Slater has it the other way around. He’s not much into gym workout and indoor training, instead, he spends most of his time doing his kind of workout on the waves. Slater, who holds an unmatched record of 11 surfing championships, is an absolute sports enthusiast who also plays boxing, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, golfing, and does yoga, which means he doesn’t actually need to be a gym rat to stay fit because his love for sports will naturally do the work to keep him in shape and healthy.
In addition to his workout parameters, Slater focuses more on harnessing strength and making sure he listens to his body before hitting his next surfing competition. After that, he typically allots 2 weeks off the waves to let his body recover.
As for his diet routine, he’s an advocate of “clean” and “mindful” eating and his usual diet is often based on fresh homemade meals. He usually starts the day with a cup of hot tea topped with lemon and honey to detoxify the body. By the looks of his Instagram, Slater is definitely a healthy eater. He likes to have chia seeds, kimchi, and bee pollen on most of his diet, and, he avoids to keep too much caffeine in his body so he prefers to drink kombucha tea, a Chinese tea with an array of health benefits. Slater also likes to zip fresh juices all throughout the day, so he tends to often make his own vegan smoothies paired with fruits, greens, almond milk, sprouts, and chia seeds.
Kelly Slater Favorite Things
- Place – Hawaii
- City – Sydney
- Celebrity – Julia Roberts
- Food – Smoothies
- Hobbies – Golfing, Surfing
- Surf Spots – Mondos in Ventura, Pipeline in Hawaii, Kirra in Australia, Jeffreys Bay in South Africa, Minis in Ireland, Taghazout in Morocco, Soup Bowls in Barbados, Veiny’s, New Zealand, and Sebastian Inlet, Florida
Kelly Slater Facts
- Slater plays guitar and ukulele.
- He had joined Rob Machado and Peter King in a band called The Surfers.
- He was voted the cutest back in high school.
- Slater has authored 2 autobiographies – Pipe Dreams: A Surfer’s Journey and Kelly Slater: For the Love.
- As of August 2019, Slater was the youngest surfing world champion at the age of 20 and the oldest surfing world champion at the age of 39.
- He is good friends with actors, Cameron Diaz and Eddie Vedder.
- Kelly has a record of 7 Pipeline Masters wins.
- He has surfed in more than 15 countries.
- Kelly Slater signed with Quicksilver at the age of 18.
- The Slater Way in his hometown Cocoa Beach is named after him.
- In 1991, he was chosen by People magazine as one of the “50 Most Beautiful People in the World”.
- His surfing inspirations are believed to be Andy Irons, Shane Dorian, Josh Kerr, and Dane Reynolds.
- He is a fundraiser and spokesperson for suicide prevention awareness.
- In the past, Slater exclusively rode Channel Islands Surfboards with his own signature series of FCS fin masons.
- In 2016, he had officially released his own line of boards and in August 2017, there were 4 Slater Design models in the Firewire range, namely, the Gamma, Cymatic, Omni & Sci-fi.
- Slater is a businessman and manages his own clothing line, Outerknown which was first launched after he ended his contract with Quicksilver. Though the company was originally just a market for organic, surf-inspired men’s clothes, a report published on March 13, 2019, claimed that Outerknown has finally evolved into offering more products including clothes for women.
- Visit his official website @ kellyslater.com.
- Connect with Kelly Slater on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
Featured Image by HugoTagholm / Wikimedia / CC-BY-SA-4.0