Kevin Jerome Gilyard
Louisiana, United States
Baton Rouge, Louisiana, United States
Kevin briefly attended Baton Rouge Community College when he was 17. While serving his prison time between 2008 and 2011, he earned a Master’s Degree in Psychology through a prison program.
Rapper, Singer, and Entrepreneur
- Father – Unknown
- Mother – Unknown
- Siblings – Unknown
Kevin is managed by Jonathan Briks, United Talent Agency, New York, USA.
- Atlantic Records
- Bread Winners’ Association
- Dead Game
6 ft 3 in or 190.5 cm
94 kg or 207 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Kevin Gates has dated –
- Around 2006, he dated his cousin (name unknown). Kevin was not aware of their blood connection for 3 months until his grandmother revealed the facts. He kept dating her for two more years before they broke up in 2008. He got negative reactions from his fans for his actions.
- Dreka Gates (?-Present) – Dreka and Kevin dated for more than 10 years before finally tying the knot in October 2015. Dreka is Kevin’s longtime girlfriend who is also his business partner and manager. They have 2 children together – a boy named Khaza Kamil Gates and a girl named Islah Karen Gates.
Race / Ethnicity
He is of African-American and Puerto Rican descent.
Body full of tattoos
Kevin hasn’t done endorsement work for any brand yet.
Best Known For
Mixtapes such as Stranger Than Fiction, By Any Means, and Luca Brasi 2.
On January 29, 2016, Kevin released his debut studio album Islah under Bread Winners’ Association and Atlantic Records. It reached number 2 on the Billboard 200 and sold 93,000 copies in the US within the 1st week.
Kevin hasn’t appeared in any theatrical film till date.
First TV Show
Kevin was seen on Wendy: The Wendy Williams Show in 2016 as a musical guest.
There is no mention of Kevin’s diet plan or training schedules. In one video though, Kevin admitted that he was tired of being fat. He also shared his eagerness in starting a training session with his friend.
Kevin Gates Favorite Things
- Book – The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks
- Gangster Movie Character – Sincere from the movie Belly (1998)
- To Eat – Corn and Crab bisque from Roscoes with a little hot sauce.
Source – Mass Appeal, XXL
Kevin Gates Facts
- He got to know about the existence of his biological father during his 8th grade.
- Kevin has been in trouble with the authorities time and again. His first arrest came at the age of 13 in 1999, for “joyriding” as a passenger.
- In August 2014, Kevin came out with an energy drink called I Don’t Get Tired (#IDGT). He also has a single with the same title.
- In 2015, he was charged with battery charges for kicking a woman fan in the chest while performing on stage at an event in Lakeland, Florida.
- Kevin has a huge fan following owing to his autobiographical themed lyrics.
- Kevin Gates has also been featured on mixtapes of Pusha T, Gudda Gudda, Juicy J, and Wiz Khalifa.
- He considers Nas, Biggie Smalls, Tupac Shakur, Eminem and Jay-Z as his greatest influencers.
- He has done training in singing with singer Monica.
- His song Know Better was one of the soundtracks used in the movie Suicide Squad.
- His debut album Islah consisted of hit singles such as 2 Phone, Time For That and Really Really.
- After converting to Islam, Kevin and his wife went to Mecca for Hajj in 2016.
- By Any Means 2 was released by Kevin’s wife, Dreka, who makes the executive decisions when Kevin is in prison serving terms.
- Visit his official website @ www.kvngates.com.
- Follow him on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Google+, and YouTube.
Featured Image by Jimmy Fontaine / Wikimedia / CC BY-SA 4.0