Karachi, Sindh, Pakistan
He lives with his wife Emily Gordon in Los Angeles, California.
Kumail Nanjiani went to the Karachi Grammar School. At the age of 18, he moved to the United States and got enrolled at the Grinnell College in Iowa. He graduated from the college in 2001 with a double major in philosophy and computer science.
Actor, Stand-up comedian, Podcast host, Writer
- Siblings – Zain Nanjiani (Works as a banker in a Manhattan-based company)
- Others – Shereen Nanjiani (Second Cousin) (Scottish Radio Presenter)
Kumail Nanjiani is represented by Los Angeles based Mosaic.
5 ft 8.5 in or 174 cm
76 kg or 167.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Kumail Nanjiani has dated –
- Emily V. Gordon (2007-Present) – Emily and Kumail first met at a bar on the North Side of Chicago. They got married in a courthouse in Chicago in July 2007. To commemorate their wedding, he hosted a prenuptial screening of his favorite movie, Four Weddings and a Funeral.
Race / Ethnicity
- Prominent nose
- Strong jawline
Kumail Nanjiani has appeared in the TV advertisement for the following brands –
- Old Navy
- FIJI Water
He was raised in a Shia Islamic household but as an adult, he has become non-religious.
Best Known For
- Being cast in one of the leading roles in the comedy TV series, Silicon Valley.
- Having lent his voice to the character of Prismo in the animated comedy and adventure TV series, Adventure Time.
- Having served as the co-host of the popular stand-up TV show, The Meltdown with Jonah and Kumail.
First TV Show
In 2008, Kumail made his first TV show appearance as an Indian Reporter in the TV variety show, Saturday Night Live.
To make sure that he remains healthy and fit, he has hired a personal trainer. He usually works out 3 times a week with his personal trainer.
He also tries to keep his cravings and indulgences in check to back his workout regime.
Kumail Nanjiani Favorite Things
- Silicon Valley Scene – Satanist scene
- Dish – Biryani
- Dinner – Mexican food
- Movie – Four Weddings and a Funeral (1994)
- Chocolate – Cadbury whole milk with hazelnuts
- Prized Possessions – 90s-era note cards that the X-Files writer Glen Morgan employed to break a story. He has got the cards framed and hung in his writing office.
Kumail Nanjiani Facts
- Kumail credits Hugh Grant’s performance in the romantic comedy Four Weddings and a Funeral for getting him into standup comedy.
- He was so inspired by Hugh Grant that he copied his hairstyle from the movie and even started mimicking his trademark smirk in daily life.
- His first attempt at stand-up comedy was at an open mike night event while he was studying in his senior year at the Grinnell College.
- After graduating from college, he moved to Chicago to pursue stand-up comedy.
- Post 9/11 attack, he was often heckled and bullied during his live comedy performances. Amongst other things, he was told to go back to Taliban. He managed to get around it by claiming that he was doing standup comedy on the side to keep a low profile.
- He was raised in such a conservative Islamic household that the first time he shook a woman’s hand was during his orientation event at Grinnell College.
- To prepare for his role in Silicon Valley, he met a host of high profile tech bosses including Elon Musk and Mark Zuckerberg.
- In his early struggling days, he used to perform on around 3 to 4 nights in a week and most of his daytime was consumed in working as an IT specialist.
- He is a staunch democrat and his social media feed in the run-up to the 2016 US Presidential Elections was punctuated by his shots at Republican candidate Donald Trump.
- In May 2017, he was invited by his alma mater Grinnell College to deliver a commencement speech in which he jokingly asked his audience to have s*x with immigrants as it would be good for their morale in testing times.
- In October 2021, Kumail revealed that he had started suffering from body dysmorphia after he had transformed his body for his role as Kingo in the 2021 film, The Eternals.
Featured Image by Gage Skidmore / Wikimedia / CC BY-SA 3.0