|Lin-Manuel Miranda Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 9 in|
|Date of Birth||January 16, 1980|
New York City, New York, United States
He lives in an apartment situated on the Upper West Side of Manhattan, New York City.
Lin-Manuel Miranda went to the Hunter College Elementary School in Manhattan’s Upper East Side.
He later shifted to Hunter College High School.
He then graduated from Wesleyan University, which is liberal arts college in Middleton, Connecticut in 2002.
Composer, playwright, lyricist, actor, singer
- Father – Luis A. Miranda (Democratic Party Consultant, who served as an advisor to New York City mayor Ed Koch)
- Mother – Luz Towns (Clinical Psychologist)
- Siblings – Luz Miranda (Older Sister) (Chief Financial Officer of the MirRam Group)
Lin-Manuel Miranda is represented by New York City based TeeRico, LLC.
Musicals, theatre productions
5 ft 9 in or 175 cm
73 kg or 161 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Lin-Manuel Miranda has dated –
- Vanessa Nadal (2005-Present) – Lin-Manuel Miranda and his wife Vanessa Nadal used to study in the same school, Hunter College High School. She was two years behind him. He fancied her at that time but he wasn’t very good at talking with women, especially those whom he found attractive. In the summer of 2005, he found her on Facebook and after getting in touch, invited her to see the performance of his hip-hop improv group, Freestyle Love Supreme. A couple of days later, he invited her to another show. After the show, they went out with a bunch of friends and he got to know more about her favorite things. In September 2010, they got married at Belvedere Mansion in Staatsburg. At the reception, Miranda accompanied by his friends and family members performed To Life from Fiddler on the Roof. They had been secretly practicing it for a month and it became a YouTube hit. In November 2014, she gave birth to their son, Sebastian. In June 2017, he got ‘V’ tattooed on his ring finger in a tribute to his loving and supportive wife.
Race / Ethnicity
Multiracial (Hispanic, Black, and White)
He has mostly Puerto Rican ancestry with traces of African-American, Mexican, and English descent.
He himself has said as ‘Straight’ but his fans consider him more of a ‘bisexual’.
- Often has a long hairstyle.
- His trademark French goatee beard.
Lin Manuel Miranda was cast in a TV commercial for Movimiento Hispano organization, urging the Hispanic community to vote in the 2016 Presidential Elections.
Best Known For
- Having written a book, lyrics, and music for the popular Broadway show Hamilton. He also played the lead role in this multiple awards-winning musical.
- Being cast in a recurring role in the TV shows such as The Electric Company from 2009 to 2010 and Do No Harm in 2013.
- Having played the lead role in the popular Broadway musical, In the Heights.
As a Singer
Miranda has written music and lyrics for several of his Broadway plays. He has also lent his voice to numerous Broadway productions.
In 1996, he made his theatrical film debut in the comedy movie, Clayton’s Friends. He also served as a writer, director, producer, and editor of the project.
First TV Show
In 2007, Miranda made his first TV show appearance in a minor role of Bellman in an episode of the crime drama series, The Sopranos.
Lin-Manuel Miranda Favorite Things
- British Food – Freddo (Chocolate Bars)
- Books – Moby-Dick; or, The Whale by Herman Melville, The Rap Year Book by Shea Serrano, Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe, Nilda by Nicholasa Mohr, Saga (Graphic novel series) written by Brian K. Vaughan and illustrated by Fiona Staples
Lin-Manuel Miranda Facts
- While studying in high school, he was in step team and on the last day of the school, his team performed a dance routine on Janet Jackson’s single, If.
- His first name ‘Lin-Manuel’ is said to have been inspired by a poem written by the Puerto Rican writer José Manuel Torres Santiago about Vietnam War. The poem was titled as Nana Roja Para Mi Hijo Lin Manuel.
- While studying at Wesleyan University, he co-founded a hip hop comedy troupe named, Freestyle Love Supreme.
- During his sophomore year at the university, he wrote the earliest draft of his successful future show, In the Heights. When it was accepted by Wesleyan’s student theater company, he decided to add freestyle rap and salsa numbers to it.
- In 2015, he was awarded the honorary degree of Doctor of Humane Letters by his alma mater, Wesleyan University.
- Over the course of years, he has held a number of regular jobs including serving as an English teacher at his former high school, writing columns for Manhattan Times, composing music for commercials and writing restaurant reviews.
- In 2009, he was presented with an honorary degree from Yeshiva University, in Washington Heights. At that time, he was the youngest person to receive the honorary degree.
- He is one of the most accomplished actors and Broadway artists of his generation, having won Emmy Awards, Grammy Awards, Tony Awards, Pulitzer Awards, and McArthur Fellowship.
- He holds the distinction of being the first artist to have garnered 16 Tony Award nominations. He managed to win 11 awards out of those nominations.
- He was the 7th highest-paid actor of 2020 as per Forbes with $45.5 million in earnings. In the same list, Dwayne Johnson was placed at #1.
Featured Image by Steve Jurvetson / Flickr / CC BY 2.0