|Marcus Canty Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 5 in|
|Date of Birth||January 22, 1991|
|Spouse||Queen Jasmine Flower|
Marcus Canty is an American singer, songwriter, dancer, and actor, best known as a contestant in the 1st season of the reality-TV singing competition The X Factor USA in 2011, where he finished in the 4th place. For his debut performance, he sang I Wish by Stevie Wonder and later chose to be mentored by L.A. Reid, a well-known record producer and judge on the show. On the last evening, in Week 8 of the competition, Marcus performed songs I’ll Make Love To You by Boyz II Men and Careless Whisper by George Michael, but was eliminated by a public vote.
He and 2 other contestants were signed by the Epic Records label on January 18, 2012. On March 7, 2012, Marcus released his debut single, Won’t Make a Fool Out of You, which charted at number 98 on the Billboard R&B that year. Marcus’s debut EP titled This…Is Marcus Canty, saw its release on March 5, 2013, and peaked at the number 114 of the Billboard US 200 chart. Marcus Canty has captivated the attention of more than 100k followers on Twitter and more than 30k followers on Instagram.
Washington, D.C., United States
Bowie, Maryland, United States
Marcus Canty attended Columbia Park Elementary School in Landover, Maryland, United States, after which he enrolled in Hyattsville Middle School in Hyattsville, Maryland, United States.
Marcus then attended DeMatha Catholic High School in Hyattsville, Maryland, United States, after which he enrolled and later graduated from Montrose Christian School in Rockville, Maryland, United States.
Singer, Songwriter, Actor, Dancer
- Mother – Darlene M. Canty
- Siblings – La’Quanda Woods (Sister). He also has a younger sister.
- Others – Terry Woods (Nephew), Cynthia (Aunt)
Marcus Canty is represented by –
- Creative Artists Agency (CAA) (Talent Agent, Manager) in Los Angeles, California, United States
- GME Experts (Publicist) in Beverly Hills, California, United States
- Reed Smith (Legal Representative) in New York, New York, United States
Pop, R&B, Soul
Vocals, Keyboards, Piano, Guitar
Epic Records (Former)
5 ft 5 in or 165 cm
65 kg or 143.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Marcus Canty has dated –
- Queen Jasmine Flower – Marcus is married to Queen Jasmine Flower. He announced in an Instagram post in December 2017 that his wife was pregnant. On February 7, 2018, Marcus posted a picture of their newborn daughter, Mikhah Rose Canty. He also has a son from a previous relationship, Zion Canty (b. September 29, 2000).
Race / Ethnicity
He is of African-American descent.
- Short physique
- Short afro hair
- Goatee facial hair
- Fuller Lips
Best Known For
- Being a competitor on the reality TV singing competition The X Factor USA in 2011, and finishing in the 4th place
- His single Won’t Make A Fool Out Of You, as well as In & Out, and Used By You from the EP album This…Is Marcus Canty, released on March 5, 2013, under Epic Records
As a Singer
Marcus Canty released his debut EP album titled This…Is Marcus Canty on March 5, 2013, under Epic Records, which consisted of tracks In & Out, Used by You, Three Words, Tonight, Don’t Pass Me By, Not Looking, Don’t Keep In Touch, and Stay in Love. The album debuted, and peaked at the 114th spot on the US Billboard 200 chart, and sold more than 4000 copies. As a result of low sales, Marcus was dropped from Epic Records in July 2013.
Marcus Canty made his first feature film appearance in the family drama A Change Is Coming in 2014.
First TV Show
Marcus Canty made his first TV show appearance as an auditionee in an episode of the music reality-TV series The X Factor on September 21, 2011.
Marcus admitted that basketball was his 1st love, and began playing in the neighborhood when he was 8 years old. In high school, he was given an ultimatum between singing and playing basketball. After he realized that he would never be extremely tall after puberty due to his short stature, he decided to sing as a profession and keep playing basketball as a hobby.
Marcus is also a regular gym-goer and has shared numerous pictures with his social media followers. He also actively tries to motivate them to workout regularly themselves, as it is crucial for a fulfilled physical, psychological, and spiritual life, according to him.
After doing a heavy leg press and working on his bench press, Marcus loves eating the caesar salad, steaks, chicken, shrimp, beef, pork, as well as broccoli, granola bars, and rice.
Marcus Canty Favorite Things
- Interests – Religion, Swimming, Praying, Parenting, Luxurious Cars
- Hobbies – Basketball, Reading
- Personal Quote – “Patience will get you to the places you need to be, not just where you wanna be.”
Source – Wikipedia, Instagram, Instagram, Instagram, Instagram, Instagram
Marcus Canty Facts
- He was born in Washington, D.C., but grew up in Landover, Maryland. He was raised by a single mother, who he said was his biggest inspiration and a gift from God.
- Marcus began acting when he was 3 years old, primarily in Christian church plays.
- His most prominent early on-stage performance was in an award-winning church play, A Family That Prays Together.
- He began singing at the age of 11, and competed at the Apollo Theater in New York, United States, among adult and youth contestants, and won 2nd place.
- In order to gain more expertise under his belt, Marcus began singing in school, church, country, and state choirs, and appeared in singing competitions in both the United States and Canada.
- Marcus’s musical influences were Luther Vandross, Marvin Gaye, Usher, Donny Hathaway, Stevie Wonder, Mary J. Blige, Monica, Whitney Houston, and Bobby Brown.
- His dad died on September 6, 2018, which left him heartbroken.
- A good friend of his, well-known singer Simone Battle, who he met during The X Factor competition in 2011, committed suicide in September 2014 after a long battle with depression.
- His debut single, Won’t Make a Fool Out of You, released on March 7, 2012, was featured in the romantic comedy Think Like a Man (2012), starring Michael Ealy, Meagan Good, Regina Hall, and Kevin Hart.
- Marcus worked with the American rapper Wale on the track In & Out from his debut EP This…Is Marcus Canty (2013).
- During The X Factor competition in 2011, Marcus performed songs PYT (Pretty Young Thing) by Michael Jackson, and You Lost Me by Christina Aguilera, among others.
- Follow him on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, iTunes, SoundCloud, Spotify, and Last.fm.
Featured Image by Marcus Canty / Instagram