|Maria Vorontsova Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 6 in|
|Date of Birth||April 28, 1985|
Maria Vorontsova is a Russian pediatric endocrinologist who has served as an advisor to the Russian government in the field of genetic engineering, particularly in the usage of CRISPR (Clustered Regularly Interspaced Short Palindromic Repeats, a family of DNA sequences found in the genomes of prokaryotic organisms such as bacteria and archaea) to create genetically-engineered babies. In 2015, she co-authored a book about ‘idiopathic stunting’ (the medical term used to describe human bodies that are short in stature for which there is no underlying cause) in children (when a child’s height is two standard deviations below the mean predicted height).
Mariya Vladimirovna Putina
Maria Vorontsova, Masha
Saint Petersburg, Russia
Maria had attended a German school in Dresden, which was then a part of East Germany, in her kindergarten years. Upon her return to Russia, she joined Peterschule, a primary and secondary school in Saint Petersburg. She had later studied at the German School Moscow, a German-language private school in Moscow.
After her high school graduation, she joined Saint Petersburg State University, a public research university in Saint Petersburg, to study biology. Maria later studied at Moscow State University, graduating from there in 2011 with a degree in medicine. She was a Ph.D. candidate at the Endocrinology Research Centre, a diagnostic center and research facility in Moscow, and had co-authored 5 medical studies between 2013 and 2015.
- Father – Vladimir Putin (Politician, Former Intelligence Officer, Prime Minister of Russia from 1999-2000 and 2008-2012; President of Russia from 2000-2008 and then since 2012)
- Mother – Lyudmila Aleksandrovna Ocheretnaya (née Shkrebneva) (Linguist, Former Flight Attendant, Former Professor at the Department of Philology of the Leningrad State University, Former First Lady of Russia)
- Siblings – Katerina Tikhonova (née Yekaterina Vladimirovna Putina) (Younger Sister) (Scientist, Former Acrobatic Dancer)
- Others – Vladimir Spiridonovich Putin (Paternal Grandfather) (Conscript in the Soviet Navy) (d. August 1999), Maria Ivanovna Putina (née Shelomova) (Paternal Grandmother) (Factory Worker) (d. 1998), Viktor Putin (Paternal Uncle) (d. 1942), Albert Putin (Paternal Uncle) (Deceased), Spiridon Ivanovich Putin (Paternal Great Grandfather) (Personal Cook to Former Heads of the Government of the Soviet Union – Vladimir Lenin and Joseph Stalin) (d. 1965), Olga Putina (Paternal Great Grandmother) (d. 1976), Ivan Petrovich Putin (Paternal Great Great Grandfather) (d. November 1918), Praskovya Golubeva (Paternal Great Great Grandmother), Julia Timofeevna Chursanova (Paternal Great Great Grandmother), Ivan Chursanov (Paternal Great Great Grandfather) (d. 1913), Anna Putina (Paternal Grand Aunt), Mikhail Spiridonovich Putin (Paternal Grand Uncle), Alexander Spiridonovich Putin (Paternal Grand Uncle), Ulyana Petrovna Buyanova (née Kamachkina) (Paternal Great Great Grandmother) (d. May 1930), Aleksey Aleksandrovich Buyanov (Paternal Great Great Grandfather) (d. August 1918), Elizaveta Alekseevna Shelomova (Paternal Great Grandmother) (d. November 1941), Anastasia Mikhailovna Shelomova (Paternal Great Great Grandmother) (d. October 1918), Andrey Alekseyevich Shelomov (Paternal Great Great Grandfather) (d. December 1918), Pyotr Ivanovich Shelomov (Paternal Grand Uncle), Alexander Abramovich Shkrebnev (Maternal Grandfather) (Former Worker at Kaliningrad Mechanical Plant), Yekaterina Tikhonovna Shkrebneva (Maternal Grandmother), Olga Alexandrovna Tsomayeva (Maternal Aunt), Artur Ocheretny (Step-Father), Igor Putin (Cousin Uncle) (Businessman, Politician, Former Vice-President of Master Bank, a private bank in Moscow), Jozef Faassen (Ex-Father-in-Law) (Former Head of Department in the Royal Netherlands Navy), Felicitas van de Stadt (Ex-Mother-in-Law), Casper Faassen (Ex-Uncle-in-Law) (Painter), Kirill Shamalov (Ex-Brother-in-Law) (Businessman, Vice-President and Director of Sibur Holding, a Russian Gas Processing and Petrochemicals Company Headquartered in Moscow)
5 ft 6 in or 167.5 cm
58 kg or 128 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Maria has dated –
- Jorrit Faassen (2008-2016) – Maria got married to Dutch businessman Jorrit Faassen in the summer of 2008 in a ceremony held in Wassenaar, South Holland, the Netherlands. They have a son together (b. August 2012). In 2014, Dutch residents protested against Maria and called for her to be expelled from the Netherlands. This was after Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 had been shot down by pro-Russian rebels in Ukraine. In 2015, Maria and Jorrit were reported to be living in Moscow. They had, reportedly, parted ways in 2016.
- Yevgeny Nagorny (2016-Present) – Maria had started dating Yevgeny Nagorny in 2016 and they got married a few months later. They have a son together (b. April 2017). Yevgeny has worked at the Russian oil and gas company Novatek.
Race / Ethnicity
She is of Russian descent.
- Slender frame
- Center-parted, shoulder-length, straight hair
- Affable smile
- Radiant face
Maria Vorontsova Facts
- Born in Saint Petersburg (then known as Leningrad), Russia, her family had moved to Dresden, which was then a part of East Germany, when she was a toddler, as her father was posted there at that time. Maria and her family had returned to Saint Petersburg in the spring of 1991.
- A few years later, when the Tambov Gang was trying to take control of Saint Petersburg’s energy trade leading to several violent gang wars, she and her younger sister Katerina had been moved, temporarily, to Germany. There, the sisters’ legal guardian was Matthias Warnig, who had worked with their father in Dresden as part of a KGB (the main security agency for the Soviet Union from March 1954 until December 1991) cell.
- In 1995, she had played the violin for a Russian consulate general’s sponsored diplomatic breakfast.
- The following year, she had nearly died in a fire that had broken out in the sauna of her family’s home. Her father had found her on the 2nd floor of the house, tied a few sheets together, and had convinced her to use them to climb down from the room’s window.
- To maintain her privacy and ensure that she could lead a life out of the limelight, she changed her name from Mariya Vladimirovna Putina to Maria Vorontsova. The origin of her new surname (Vorontsova), however, is unclear.
Featured Image by Maria Vorontsova / Instagram