|Mario Testino Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 3 in|
|Date of Birth||October 30, 1954|
Mario Testino, the famous Peruvian fashion photographer has worked with almost all high profile magazines and models of his time. Due to his busy schedule, he lived all over the world. He was also present at Prince William and Kate Middleton’s engagement for taking pictures.
Mario Eduardo Testino Silva
Mario owns an elegant 1933 Spanish-style hacienda in the Hollywood Hills neighborhood of Los Angeles. However, due to his work demands, he is often missing from his LA home and lives in other properties that he owns all over the world.
Mario Testino went to the Santa Maria Marianistas, a Catholic school. He later got enrolled at the La Universidad del Pacífico, where he studied economics. He then got admission at the Pontificia Universidad Catolica del Peru.
He also studied at the University of San Diego. Then, he decided to drop studies of Economics, Law and International Affairs and moved to London to study photography.
In London, he took apprenticeships at the studios of Paul Nugent and John Vickers to learn his trade as a photographer.
Fashion and portrait photographer
- Father – Mario Testino
- Mother – Teresa Silva
- Siblings – He has 5 younger siblings.
Mario Testino is represented by his own agency MARIOTESTINO+.
6 ft 3 in or 190 cm
85 kg or 187.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Despite having remained in limelight for more than 4 decades, Mario Testino has remained fairly silent while interacting with the media about his private life, which makes it difficult to say anything about his love life and dating history.
Race / Ethnicity
On his mother’s side, he has Irish and Spanish ancestry, while on his father’s side, he is of Italian descent.
Salt and pepper
Mario Testino hasn’t done endorsement work for any brand.
While growing up, he was very religious. He went to a Catholic School and wanted to become a priest. However, his religious views as an adult aren’t known.
Best Known For
- Being one of the most popular iconic photographers in the fashion industry.
- Having worked for the leading magazines such as Vanity Fair, GQ, and Vogue.
- Having created images for the leading fashion brands such as Gucci, Versace, Chanel, Michael Kors, and Burberry.
First TV Show
In 2005, Mario Testino made his first TV show appearance on the popular talk show, HARDtalk Extra.
Mario Testino Facts
- In 2002, his book Mario Testino – Portraits (by National Portrait Gallery Publications), which was a collection of his iconic photographs, was published.
- In January 2018, Vogue announced that they have banned Testino from working with them after he was slapped with sexual misconduct allegations by a number of male models.
- He was hired by the English royal family to take pictures of Prince William and Kate Middleton’s engagement.
- He was considered as Princess Diana’s favorite fashion photographer. He was hired to picture the former Royal on many occasions including photographing her for Vanity Fair magazine, a couple of months before her death.
- He has done extensive charity work with “Save the Children” organization. In the aftermath of 2017 earthquake in his native Peru, he decided to give a single print of one of his famous Princess Diana portraits for a fundraiser, which managed to raise £100,000 for the construction of a clinic in El Salvador.
- He has also done social activism and charity work for non-profit organizations such as Sargent Cancer Care, Elton John Aids Foundation, amfAR and Women to Women.
- In 2012, he announced the establishment of his Lima-based non-profit organization, MATE, which aimed to provide a platform for Peruvian artists and promote arts in the country.
- In January 2014, Mario was given an honorary OBE by the English Culture minister Ed Vaizey. He was under the consideration for OBE but as he wasn’t a UK native or a Commonwealth country of which the Queen is head of state, they decided to honor him with an honorary award.
- When he first moved to London, he lived in a flat in an abandoned hospital near Trafalgar Square.
- In his early days in London, he funded his photography passion by working as a waiter.
- In early days of his photography career, he had dyed his hair pink as he felt it helped him get noticed more easily.
- In 1983, Mario’s first work was featured in the iconic Vogue magazine.
- In 2011, he was honored with an Honorary Fellowship by The Royal Photographic Society. The same year, he was given Man of the Year Inspiration award by GQ.
- For his immense charity work, he was honored with The Grand Cross Order of Merit in Peru. It is one of the highest civilian honors in his native country.
- He assisted in raising funds for Natalia Vodianova‘s Naked Heart Foundation and the funds were used for the construction of a playground in a Moscow based children’s cancer hospital.
- As he lost his younger brother, who was 10 years old, to cancer, he has worked tirelessly for various cancer causes and related charities and foundations.
- In 2014, Mario Testino was made the President of the Board of World Monuments Fund Peru, which is a Peru based subsidiary of the non-profit organization that aims to preserve historic architecture and cultural heritage sites.
- In Lima, he restored a 13,000 sq. ft. mansion that was built in 1898. The mansion serves as a permanent exhibition for his work. Also, work by various Peruvian and International artists is temporarily displayed at the house.
- Visit his official website @ mariotestino.com.
- Follow him on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
Featured Image by Walterlan Papetti / Wikimedia / CC BY-SA 4.0